Ax8 latency

Albion

Inspired
After 8 month of live use I have to say that AX8 latency in scene change is too much for an intense live use..
I have been using Axe ultra and then an Axe fx II before my AX8...
AX8 is a wonderful instrument for live use for its sound, portability and programmability but scene change lag is really too much...
Sorry for saying that but I think Fractal audio should work on that before any other tone improvements...

what I have found is the lag is in changing x/y states on amp or cab or both. if you use modifiers instead of xy on amp or cab that is a workaround. however I do hope they can find a way to make this better because changing amps would be nice. my go to amp currently is the morgan ac-20. using a modifier to change the gain from scene to scene allows me to go from super clean to dirty with no lag. I also use a modifier to engage the boost switch for more gain. I guess the big problem is that for more higher gain amps you might not be able to get the clean you need at lower drive settings which would require the amp change.

what I have found is the lag is in changing x/y states on amp or cab or both. if you use modifiers instead of xy on amp or cab that is a workaround. however I do hope they can find a way to make this better because changing amps would be nice. my go to amp currently is the morgan ac-20. using a modifier to change the gain from scene to scene allows me to go from super clean to dirty with no lag. I also use a modifier to engage the boost switch for more gain. I guess the big problem is that for more higher gain amps you might not be able to get the clean you need at lower drive settings which would require the amp change.

I don't know.....I use scenes for my solo/boost. My scene change just turns on a delay and eq block (which boosts me for a solo). There is a decent lag. Preset changes are worse.

I love my fractal products, but agree that addressing the lag would be a better improvement (rather than more modeling improvements).

OP, what are you seeing in terms of lag? Perhaps you could record a clip to highlight the lag... Are we talking about a 5 second audio gap or something measured in milliseconds??

There is surely gap when, as somebody has already said, you change X/Y state of a AMP or CAB block. But, IMHO is the same as other unit and we talk about millisecond. I have different results with the Axe-Fx II but it's another machine.
Gap in sound is something I've learnt to live with since I used real amp.
Obviously everything can get better but sincerely it's not a tragedy
When you use scene to alternate other blocks bypass (than AMP and CAB) and block state (X/Y) everything is smooth as honey.

Wierd...I use scenes all the time and I never experienced lag at all.

For example I have a patch for Shut up and dance with significant sound changes where I use sticky scenes and its seamless as far as the natural playing gaps in the song. So I'm also interested in what kind of lag we're talking, seconds or milliseconds?

I always love it when someone says "Hey, I'm having this problem", and people jump in saying that it's not a problem or trying to minimize it to the point where it should be "good enough" :|

OP - I know what you mean. The guitarist in my band and I bot have struggled with this, as have many others. Some of the suggestions above are good, especially using modifiers if possible (that was a biggie for us). Another biggie was simply changing some of the blocks, such as reverb, to a lower quality (which we don't notice live - but use my Axe-Fx II for recording, so we don't lose anything there). Each slight tweak helped, and we eventually got to a place where the lag was low enough to not be a problem at all for us, but there still is one there (for the nitpickers - yes, its now just a few milliseconds in length. We still notice it when playing live, but doubt our fans do or care).

What kind of live guitar driven rock music doesn't have loud drums, bass, vocals and other instruments going on at the exact same time that a milliseconds switching gap is long enough to be perceived? Please, someone post a video of this problem in a rehearsal/live band situation!?!? I want to see/hear for myself, "man, that was def a mil sec too long!" I'm sure those that sit in front of their speakers and play by themselves in their bedroom could obsess about something like that.

I've yet to see a performance ruined where one could say, "yeah, too much silence due to unacceptable latency in guitar presets switching". I've seen more mistakes happen when the wrong fx/preset switched is pressed. And you can't blame the unit for stepping on the switches out of time/beat, either.

Anyways, my opinion, public forum, have a nice day!

Well, being the one who (for G66) have to live with people who says "I have this or that problem" I only need to know if he has a gap that lasts seconds or milliseconds. In the first situation he has a problem with his unit, in the second he can limit the gap BUT he can not solve the problem. Limit the gap for me means limit the unpleasant feeling you have everytime you have to change scene/preset. And this is something different for everyone.

Last edited:
What kind of live guitar driven rock music doesn't have loud drums, bass, vocals and other instruments going on at the exact same time that a milliseconds switching gap is long enough to be perceived? Please, someone post a video of this problem in a rehearsal/live band situation!?!? I want to see/hear for myself, "man, that was def a mil sec too long!" I'm sure those that sit in front of their speakers and play by themselves in their bedroom could obsess about something like that.

I've yet to see a performance ruined where one could say, "yeah, too much silence due to unacceptable latency in guitar presets switching". I've seen more mistakes happen when the wrong fx/preset switched is pressed. And you can't blame the unit for stepping on the switches out of time/beat, either.

Anyways, my opinion, public forum, have a nice day!
Then again, if you have another guitar player the lag could be 5 seconds. You should not care.

I'm not sure if "latency" is the right term...do you mean you hit the switch and the sound doesn't change for a while or is there a gap in the sound when switching?

When switching presets or amp block X/Y there's going to be a slight gap in the sound. I'd LOVE for that to get minimized but I don't see that with the current generation hardware unfortunately. The only true fix would be to step up to the bigger unit to run dual amps.

But if you use the same amp block for all scenes and use scene controllers to adjust the gain and scene output volumes to adjust the levels, you can go from a fairly clean amp up to quite a bit of gain. There's no real gap in the sound changing scenes with these settings. You can also add a drive pedal which shouldn't cause any delays either.

After 8 month of live use I have to say that AX8 latency in scene change is too much for an intense live use..
AX8 is a wonderful instrument for live use for its sound, portability and programmability but scene change lag is really too much...
Sorry for saying that but I think Fractal audio should work on that before any other tone improvements...

I had the same problem, but it was solved thanks to forum advice: mainly avoiding x/y amp switching. Turning off x/y footswitch toggling option as well as that also adds a delay. I have near instant scene switching now. Everything I was doing with amp x/y could be done with scene controllers instead.

I can confirm the lag problem with scene changes. My unit certainly has a noticeable lag when switching scenes with or without X/Y states in a scene or not. I posted this same issue awhile back and came to the conclusion it is the nature of the beast and either you can accept it for the great unit it is or perhaps it won't work for some of us. I too own an AXE-FX II and have a choice of either application.Personally I have accepted the fact.

I had the same problem, but it was solved thanks to forum advice: mainly avoiding x/y amp switching. Turning off x/y footswitch toggling option as well as that also adds a delay. I have near instant scene switching now. Everything I was doing with amp x/y could be done with scene controllers instead.
I had had nearly an identical experience. I used one of the preset templates shipped in the factory at the uppermost banks called "Scene Control" as a starting point. Changed my entire approach. As scenes modify drive or input levels to an amp I find I don't need the X/Y. Changes are instant.

Please post a preset where this happens.

Turn off the hold for X/Y feature for your foot switches. That makes it activate when you release the switch, not when you press it and can make it feel like it's lagging behind if you don't immediately lift your foot after pressing. That's necessary for differentiating between a press and a hold of the switch. Turning it off makes it send the instant you press the switch instead. Enabling and bypassing blocks via scenes will not cause a switching gap or delay. It will be completely seamless. Only X/Y changes and Preset changes cause the switching gap.

Back
Top Bottom