AX8 interface: Looking for a recommendation

Electrickn

There are so many choices out there. While we don't have all the details on this unit yet, do you guys have any recommendations for a simple interface to plug some tracks into something like Reaper?

I will primarily use the Ax8 for live performances, but I do occasionally like to lay down some tracks for demos.

I'm also curious if the looper tracks will be exportable. I use that feature with my Ditto looper (which I'll sell if the Ax8 can do that too.)

Thanks

i doubt the Looper tracks are exportable.

i personally suggest the Yamaha AG06 as an interface. there is a stereo 1/4" input perfect for the AX8it has 2 XLR inputs as well, in case you don't have anything like that already. it's also a familiar Mixer form, so you can easily use it live if you want to mix other sources in, but even for just studio use, i feel it's much easier to get around.

the key feature is that it brings in the Computer Audio as its own channel with its own volume knob. this would even benefit those with an Axe-Fx who don't like "menu-diving" for the USB return level parameter :)

there's also a smaller AG03 if you only want 1 XLR input.

IS561589-01-01-BIG.jpg

Last edited:
How does that work? An Apogee Duet 2 costs 700 USD or something (including software).
The Duet looks nice but it doesn't explain the difference between a 150 USD interface and a 700 USD interface.

That Yamaha looks like a neat mixer BTW.

Doesn't make sense to put a lot of money in high quality converters as Apogee when you have the SPDIF out in AX8.

Any will do, unless you need mic inputs and preamps.

There are so many choices out there. While we don't have all the details on this unit yet, do you guys have any recommendations for a simple interface to plug some tracks into something like Reaper?

I will primarily use the Ax8 for live performances, but I do occasionally like to lay down some tracks for demos.

I'm also curious if the looper tracks will be exportable. I use that feature with my Ditto looper (which I'll sell if the Ax8 can do that too.)

Thanks

I'd hold on to the Ditto. I use the X2 for my acoustic gigs and it works grea and is very compact. Sometimes it's just easier to have a dedicated looper so you're not going in and out of modes on another device.

Doesn't make sense to put a lot of money in high quality converters as Apogee when you have the SPDIF out in AX8.

I'm very much in the same boat as the OP, but I'm surprised that almost all of the simple <$200 interfaces DON'T have S/PDIF inputs. I've been looking at a host of small mixers (Mackies, Yamahas MG06/AG03, etc.) and interfaces (Steinberg, PreSonus, Native, Roland, etc.) for use with OS X.

True.. sort of.. except you still have to convert from D to A out of your DAW to hear the results, so you might care about quality converters.

Important point is, get something with spdif!

Funny you say that, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 is my top contender at this point.

Can you answer a quick question for me? When you press the Monitor section "On" button, does it mute/override the signals at Outputs 1/2 (or 3/4, depending on how you have it set) with the direct signals from Input 1/2? Or does it mix them together?

For example, I want to use Outputs 3/4 for a second set of monitors (my FRFR EV 12P pair). I'd like to be able to route USB audio combined with the signal from Inputs 1/2 to either set of monitors at Outputs 1/2 or 3/4.

I know the Steinberg UR28M can do that, but it's 2x the money and requires a computer to configure/set that up. I like my hardware to to have as few interdependencies as possible.

I wish I couldn't hear the difference in cheaper ADC/DAC and cheaper preamps. My life would be a lot easier and my wallet a lot fuller.

I'm sorry I don't have the time right now to check this out and I can't remember if it operates as you want, but here's a link to the manual that should answer your question:
http://www.native-instruments.com/f...s/manuals/KOMPLETE_AUDIO_6_Manual_English.zip
Yeah, I had already poured over the manual and it isn't clear on the matter. It's clear that it sends the monitored signal directly to the selected output and NOT to the computer, but it makes no mentioned of existing signals present on those outputs. It seems logical that those signals would also pass through but I'd never assume that's the case and wanted to verify.

Thanks anyway... 99% sure this is my interface in either case.
:encouragement:

Can you answer a quick question for me? When you press the Monitor section "On" button, does it mute/override the signals at Outputs 1/2 (or 3/4, depending on how you have it set) with the direct signals from Input 1/2? Or does it mix them together?

99.99% sure it will NOT mute your outputs, because the whole point of direct monitoring at the interface is so you can hear yourself play with zero latency while your DAW records it with some latency.

i doubt the Looper tracks are exportable.

i personally suggest the Yamaha AG06 as an interface. there is a stereo 1/4" input perfect for the AX8it has 2 XLR inputs as well, in case you don't have anything like that already. it's also a familiar Mixer form, so you can easily use it live if you want to mix other sources in, but even for just studio use, i feel it's much easier to get around.

the key feature is that it brings in the Computer Audio as its own channel with its own volume knob. this would even benefit those with an Axe-Fx who don't like "menu-diving" for the USB return level parameter :)

there's also a smaller AG03 if you only want 1 XLR input.

IS561589-01-01-BIG.jpg

Is this similar without the bells and whistles?

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-AUDIOG...F8&qid=1444938179&sr=8-6&keywords=yamaha+ag06

Back
Top Bottom