AX8 interface: Looking for a recommendation

Guitar Center will sell you a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 for under $200. Plus it comes with Cubase LE, and various other software.

Before you buy something, search GearSlutz for reviews. Lots of noobs on there (just like any forum) but there's a lot of pros and a lot of collective experience if you're willing to do a little reading.

You may not think so right now, but the quality of the pres and the converters DO matter.

i must have the worst ears in the world because i don't hear a reduction in quality when going Analog out of the Axe to another interface. the way some people talk about it, it's like going from Axe quality to a Fender practice amp.

I used to stress over staying all digital in the chain with my Axe-FX II. Then I decided I preferred to track at 96K rather than 48K and didn't want to trust sample rate conversion. The XLR outs on the Fractal gear are excellent and no different than putting a mic on a cabinet and then going into an interface (frankly better). If you have good A/D converters in your interface (I'm Apogee and Audient) there is no problem getting VERY professional results from the Fractal analog outputs.

Last edited:
In the studio I use balanced outs into a Focusrite ISA828. The ISA828 is clocked from an Apogee Big Ben and goes digitally via Adat Lightpipe into a Motu 1248 into the computer. Sounds great.

I'm on lead vocals and guitars in my band. Keeping in mind that I also need to record vocals using the interface very often, I found Scarlett 6i6 to be the best fit.

Back
Top Bottom