AX8 interface: Looking for a recommendation

Or for that matter Behringer seems to make a variety of USB-enabled mixers. Is there something that make the Yamaha better?
For example: Behringer Xenyx Q502USB | Sweetwater.com
-
Austin

i'm not sure if every USB mixer does this, but the AG allows you to take the USB audio coming from the Computer and mix it in and then BACK OUT through the USB out. this is important for Live Streaming and can be useful for recording sometimes.

i know for sure that not all USB interfaces in general have this feature. the USB audio from the Computer will only go through the analog Main Outs and speakers in your room, not back into the computer digitally. i couldn't live stream with my Presonus Audiobox 1818 because of this. i needed something crazy like the Behringer x32 mixer to do it. this AG06 simplifies things greatly!

i'm not sure if every USB mixer does this, but the AG allows you to take the USB audio coming from the Computer and mix it in and then BACK OUT through the USB out. this is important for Live Streaming and can be useful for recording sometimes.

i know for sure that not all USB interfaces in general have this feature. the USB audio from the Computer will only go through the analog Main Outs and speakers in your room, not back into the computer digitally. i couldn't live stream with my Presonus Audiobox 1818 because of this. i needed something crazy like the Behringer x32 mixer to do it. this AG06 simplifies things greatly!

I didn't even consider an interface with its own mixer before. I appreciate all the input. I have a lot more research to do I think.

I didn't even consider an interface with its own mixer before. I appreciate all the input. I have a lot more research to do I think.

most USB interfaces are just input boxes with trim and you balance everything on the computer side. that works for strict recording. but even when practicing with iTunes, having actual knobs on a mixer helps to balance things as you go. and then you have a small mixer useable live as well if you need that.

the AG06 is also bus powered with Laptops/Desktops so that's one less thing to allocate; it works with iOS devices too (to something like Cubasis or Auria), but needs a USB power plug like you'd use for a phone or something.

Very impressed by the features and price of this little Yamaha mixer. I just ordered one. :)

It's in. I like everything about it: tone, features, size, variety of inputs and outputs, traditional faders.

It's almost perfect.
XLR outputs would have been nice but not very important.
USB Audio but no SPIDF, not important to me because I use my Axe-Fx II and not an AX8 for recording.

AG06.jpg

Last edited:
Only the "simple" mixer MG06 has two XLR outputs.
I bought one to mix my PC sound and my future AX8 since I already have a PCIe soundcard in my computer, and I'm pretty happy with it for the moment :)

i must have the worst ears in the world because i don't hear a reduction in quality when going Analog out of the Axe to another interface. the way some people talk about it, it's like going from Axe quality to a Fender practice amp.

i must have the worst ears in the world because i don't hear a reduction in quality when going Analog out of the Axe to another interface. the way some people talk about it, it's like going from Axe quality to a Fender practice amp.

I don't think anyone in this thread talked about it like that. It's just 'better' to convert A/D only once in your signal path... not twice.

You're right though, it might be hard to hear the difference which is probably why so many interfaces don't bother to include spdif these days.

I recently upgraded to the Apogee Duet from my old Focusrite Sapphire. Expensive, yes. But very noticeable improvement on input and playback through by Mackie 624s. I thought they were going bad or something, but it was just my Sapphire converters I think. The Mackies have resurrected with the Duet converters, and I am looking forward to trying the Duet with the AX8 - when it becomes available. But just using my Nova System into the Duet is far better than with the Sapphire. The Duet is easy to use and very clean.

I don't think anyone in this thread talked about it like that. It's just 'better' to convert A/D only once in your signal path... not twice.

You're right though, it might be hard to hear the difference which is probably why so many interfaces don't bother to include spdif these days.

I agree that multiple D/A conversions can cause issues.

But I'm with Chris, I can't hear a difference between the S/PDIF out of the XL+ and the analog XLR outs.

For me, if it's not causing any perceivable issue, it's not an issue. I hook up the gear in the way that makes sense for my workflow and don't sweat whether or not it's an all digital pathway unless there is a problem.

I recently upgraded to the Apogee Duet from my old Focusrite Sapphire. Expensive, yes. But very noticeable improvement on input and playback through by Mackie 624s. I thought they were going bad or something, but it was just my Sapphire converters I think. The Mackies have resurrected with the Duet converters, and I am looking forward to trying the Duet with the AX8 - when it becomes available. But just using my Nova System into the Duet is far better than with the Sapphire. The Duet is easy to use and very clean.

Absolutely the Apogee converters are a step above "pedestrian" interfaces and the difference is noticeable. I'm actually looking to upgrade/sidegrade to Audient or Antelope (so many "A" names lol) because the Duet FireWire is EOL. But I'm more producer than guitarist, so my interfaces are just as important as my guitar gear.

It's in. I like everything about it: tone, features, size, variety of inputs and outputs, traditional faders.

It's almost perfect.
XLR outputs would have been nice but not very important.
USB Audio but no SPIDF, not important to me because I use my Axe-Fx II and not an AX8 for recording.

AG06.jpg

BTW, that single amp sim in the AG06 doesn't sound too shabby at all. Supposedly based on the modeling in the THR amps.

omg...so many choices.....i dont want to spend more the 200.00.....but would love something $60-150.00...... what is the vote for best in this price range?

also...using spidif out of ax8 is an advantage? if so then likely a usb audio interface having this would be an advantage? no?

the one I posted is $129...

That one's 24-bit/48kHz as opposed to 24-bit/192kHz for the Yamaha and Behringer units. Not sure to what degree that matters if you're using the SPDIF though? At any rate, I picked up a Yamaha AG03 at a price that was too good to turn down and I'm very happy with it. It looks like there's alot out there at that price range that would probably do the job fine.
-
Austin

Back
Top Bottom