AX8 Firmware 9.04 Released

There are some quirks in 9.04.

I somehow got a saved amp block that had Scene 2 Controller attached to Input Gain, except it was attached like 8 times and took that many modifiers. When I cleared all 8 of them, I reloaded the saved block to check, and sure enough the “cloned” modifiers came back. So there’s an issue with modifiers within saved blocks (perhaps specific to Scene Controllers, and perhaps specific to saved AX8-Edit library blk files that came from before 9.04).

Also - hard resetting the amp seems to change under-the-hood parameters, not just visible values. At least on a block saved from a few versions ago. I’ve been hanging on to a DC30 block for several firmwares and just “soft” resetting it each upgrade. I was surprised that after a “hard” reset, even after matching all values on all pages to before the reset, that the sound was different (comparing to the saved block with all same values but before the hard reset). Got a bit brighter, in my case. I preferred the “new” sound, luckily!

There are some quirks in 9.04.

I somehow got a saved amp block that had Scene 2 Controller attached to Input Gain, except it was attached like 8 times and took that many modifiers. When I cleared all 8 of them, I reloaded the saved block to check, and sure enough the “cloned” modifiers came back. So there’s an issue with modifiers within saved blocks (perhaps specific to Scene Controllers, and perhaps specific to saved AX8-Edit library blk files that came from before 9.04).

Also - hard resetting the amp seems to change under-the-hood parameters, not just visible values. At least on a block saved from a few versions ago. I’ve been hanging on to a DC30 block for several firmwares and just “soft” resetting it each upgrade. I was surprised that after a “hard” reset, even after matching all values on all pages to before the reset, that the sound was different (comparing to the saved block with all same values but before the hard reset). Got a bit brighter, in my case. I preferred the “new” sound, luckily!
There was a bug post in the AX-8 Bugs forum about a similar issue. Multiple modifiers assigned to one parameter...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cannot-unassign-modifier-from-input-trim.134627/

With the AXE FXIII coming out I would assume the AXE FXII will not get any more updates. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that but the Axe II usually gets the update and the Ax8 follows, so does that mean the Ax8 is done also? Curious speculation.

With the AXE FXIII coming out I would assume the AXE FXII will not get any more updates. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that but the Axe II usually gets the update and the Ax8 follows, so does that mean the Ax8 is done also? Curious speculation.

It will be interesting to see either way. It's been stated that both units will get any modelling/fx updates for as long as they're capable of holding it, so maybe we'll get an Ultra style "final firmware" or updates will still trickle in.

Interesting speculation indeed. My guess is that the Ax8 is pretty much done now and that we'll see an updated Ax8 before the end of the year based on the Axe Fx 3 CPU, just to make it easier for Fractal to keep the firmware up to date between the Axe Fx 3 and the updated Ax8. But a lot of people seem to think that since the Ax8 is relatively new that Fractal will keep developments going for both for some years to come (and presumably also development for the Axe Fx 2 then since the Ax8 firmware is based on the Axe Fx 2). Time will tell.

The AX8 is a young product, i doubt its discontinued also.

So Firmware debelopment for the Quantum family could still see a few.

But, Quantum is done? the new tech is called ARES Modeling.

I seem to be getting a large number of crashed since upgrading to the new firmware. I have a dedicated Mac for my board. When turn the board off/on, my AX8 seems to respond, but this is very problematic when trying to work on patches that don't get saved before the crash. Before I go back to 9.03, is anyone else noticing this as a bug or might it be my computer? This is not intended to be a rant, just want to know if others are noticing this behavior?

@Akstrat
I have noticed some communication problems between my Mac and AX8. I am on 9.04.
Tonight I did a "Copy Y to X" in AX8 Edit (reverb block), then saved. Then I clicked the XY button in AX8 Edit to switch from Y to X, but it did not change. I selected a different preset, then came back to the preset I was working on to find the copy never took. I closed, then reopened AX8 Edit and performed the same edits. That time it worked.
My USB cable is pushing the length limit at about 6 feet, so that doesn't help, but I never had this before using that cable.
On a positive note, I always used to have to load AX8 Edit before turning on my AX8. Now it seems to connect regardless of which is started first.

Thanks Fractal!!!
Between my AX8 and my Helix, theres a LOT of good things to keep me busy...
Ive gotta' say that the AX8 has some of the best Hi-Gain amps that Ive come across.

Thanks again for all the hard work Fractal! You have a customer for life.
Now to figure out this whole IR thing...

Back
Top Bottom