AX-8 10.00 Release Candidate #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always said I'm waiting for the final firmware version to avoid the bugs and problems. And what happened - I installed every version and did not wait for a second. Well, I think I have a FAS syndrome, but as I see it, a lot of people have that here.
And you know what - I think it's good, even very good to have this syndrome .... Thanks Cliff & co. and thanks very much to the beta testers ...

You guys are killin me! I want to update but have shows for the next two weeks that I'll be using the AX8 for and won't have time to really dig in and give things a listen! I've been a huge customer service guy forever - like if a company treats their customers good, I'll stick with them and do what I can to get people to go to them - FAS is by far one of the best companies I've ever come across in that area. Not even to mention the actual products - second to none.

So glad that I switched and am on this journey with the company and everyone involved.

Peace!

You guys are killin me! I want to update but have shows for the next two weeks that I'll be using the AX8 for and won't have time to really dig in and give things a listen! I've been a huge customer service guy forever - like if a company treats their customers good, I'll stick with them and do what I can to get people to go to them - FAS is by far one of the best companies I've ever come across in that area. Not even to mention the actual products - second to none.

So glad that I switched and am on this journey with the company and everyone involved.

Peace!

I have a show tomorrow, that didn't stop me from updating when I got home from our vacation yesterday. ;)

Seriously, it really doesn't require much tweaking - somehow the levels are a tad lower than what I usually use, so I had to bump them all up 2-3 dB, but otherwise I just enjoyed the new even better sounds. :)

It really feels much better - it sounds quite a bit clearer too (not brighter, clearer), but the feel is much improved to me. Great job - my Ax8 just got even better. :)

Edit: Also, great jobs on the new amps. The Friedmans, while cool, are a bit too gainy for my taste (I'm more of a clean to midgain guy), but the new Plexi 2204 I really really like. Paired with a good tele bridge pickup, that's just awesome.

Fractal modeling has always been awesome. I picked up my AX8 back on FW 1 or 2 and frankly, the perceptible differences to me are just that. For this release, I welcome the improved CPU efficiency and faster switching between scenes.

Well done FAS.

all my phasers are at 60% right pan... Aaaaaaaaaa! otherwise the sound is great. scenes change speed as well. there is more clarity. I needed a little down the trebles in my presets.

Slightly off topic, I apologize, but is anyone aware if there has been an updated amp/model guide created to reflect the additional models in RC2? I know a user named "Yek" had a whole guide, and I couldn't locate it on the forum to see if it had been updated.

Here's a preset to reproduce the LFO bug. Install it into preset location 30-8. Clear preset 30-7. Select the LFO test and toggle the speed to 1/4 then back to 1/8. Save the preset and try to memorize its speed. Then switch to preset 30-7 and back to 30-8. You'll notice the LFO runs faster now. I made the same experiment with the preset tempo set to 240bpm and the speed to 1/2. When switching between presets the LFO now turns out to be slower than its original setting. Apparently the speed only changes when the preset is saved in bank 30. Saving it to another bank will not reproduce the issue. Switching from a working copy in another bank to the instance in bank 30 will not reproduce it either. Looks like you need to come from a preset without an LFO to this preset in bank 30 to reproduce the bug.

However, no matter where you store the preset, when re-loading it and opening the LFO controller page the frequency displayed is set to a different value even if the effective LFO speed didn't change (this might be a separate or no issue at all).

Attachments

• LFO Test.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I installed RC2 yesterday. My clean patches dropped a couple db in volume. Ran it through it's paces (switching presets, turning FX off/on, banking up/down, power-cycling AX8, etc.). Played through my band's set list twice. No issues at all. I played the gig last night. Flawless. Best it has ever sounded. Wow!

Gigged it last night, just cowboy'd it, made adjustments on the fly. Spent some time today leveling things out, and adding a couple of new presets for kicks. Gig in 3 hours, I'll report in. Thanks all

This new firmware has got me re-thinking my workflow.
In the past have kind of stayed clear of using X/Y (mostly amp blocks), instead went for scene controllers. Between scene controllers and drive blocks I basically got what I want.
But since this firmware the X/Y switching is so much better I think I will be make some adjustments on some old presets. And incorporating some more X/Y switching mainly with amp and cab blocks
John

Got home from vacation Wednesday, installed and tweaked thursday and gigged today - Awesome firmware - definitely the best experience I've had with the Ax8, and I probably had one of the first in Europe - it's been great from the get go, but this firmware is just another level. Great punch, clarity and liveliness from all presets. Thanks a lot, and great job!

I did not updated yet. is this a betta version? From where do you get all the info about the changes and updates of this version? the only thing that is written is:
"Should fix the lag problems when controllers are attached to the amp block"....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom