Atomic CLR = Sonic bliss !!! In depth review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 quad boxes will push more air for sure...
From one of Jay's earlier posts:

The volume velocity capacity of a well-designed 12" woofer is more than four times that capacity for typical guitar 12" speakers. So it is altogether possible - likely, in fact - that a well-designed two-way system with a single woofer can "move" more air than a 4x12 guitar cab. This is not always the case, but neither does the "moving air" comparison always favor a guitar cab.

From one of Jay's earlier posts:

Well maybe I used the term wrong, maybe the CLR moves as much, less or more air as a 4x12 cab, I don't know, but the wider dispersion of the CLR gives a different feel on your torso than a 4x12 cab with very beaming guitar speakers if that clears up any misunderstanding.

Which one moves more air is not really important to me - the quality of sound and the dispersion from the CLR plus the form factor easily wins it for me. On top of that the CLR is capable of much more volume than I'll never need.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review. Very impressive. I have two questions:

With the powered wedge can you disable the internal amp so you can power with an external amp?

Do the chicks dig 'em?? :)

Hey Randolfo - Thanks man, and sorry I didn't answer your questions till now, they slipped by me somehow.

With regards to the question about disabling the internal amp the answer is no, it's not possible.
I might be wrong but I think it has to do with the design with the active crossover and DSP.

But the question is - why would you ever want to use an external power amp when the active CLR has an extremely high quality power amp build in that is part of the tuned FRFR system that is the CLR ?

As for your other question, I find most that chicks don't have a clue nor dig gear, but the CLRs are different, as you can put your foot on one of them and strut your package :)))))

Hey Randolfo - Thanks man, and sorry I didn't answer your questions till now, they slipped by me somehow.

With regards to the question about disabling the internal amp the answer is no, it's not possible.
I might be wrong but I think it has to do with the design with the active crossover and DSP.

But the question is - why would you ever want to use an external power amp when the active CLR has an extremely high quality power amp build in that is part of the tuned FRFR system that is the CLR ?

As for your other question, I find most that chicks don't have a clue nor dig gear, but the CLRs are different, as you can put your foot on one of them and strut your package :)))))

OMG !! I just spit water ALL over the computer... smh... LOL

Well maybe I used the term wrong, maybe the CLR moves as much, less or more air as a 4x12 cab, I don't know, but the wider dispersion of the CLR gives a different feel on your torso than a 4x12 cab with very beaming guitar speakers if that clears up any misunderstanding.
Understood. You may have something there.

My experience to the T apart from playing to 7,000 people! I also agree with the statement that those who do not like the CLRs must have pre sets that need work and would not sound good through any solutions.
ClRs rock!!! I have plans for a second one this winter which means my pa gets two great monitors -my RCFs !

I may just have to get 3 CLR's eventually...maybe the 3rd would make a great Christmas gift...to myself :) However I agree with you though RB, if I could only have 1 I would still prefer that.

I'm getting a Wall of Atomic behind me (see pic) and 2 in front. ;)

atomicCLR.jpg

well my name came up last week and I have until Midnight tonight to order one of these..........................but I am going to pass
We had our FRFR shootout today and I have decided not to order one,
so I hope someone else can take my spot and score one.

well my name came up last week and I have until Midnight tonight to order one of these..........................but I am going to pass

Oooh - interesting! Looking forward to the details!

Now we're talking ROCK AND ROLL!!

...but the CLRs are different, as you can put your foot on one of them and strut your package :)))))
We need more of this.

This is what it's all about.

Loved the response!!

Rocket Brother - this review was sick. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it, thanks for taking the time and thought put into it, and thanks so much for the humour speckled throughout. This is such a choice review - well worth the wait. Mega thanks :pride:

Mo

(PS: As an owner of 2 active wedges, I now want to have that wall of cabs behind me too. It's a penis thing.)

We need more of this.

Loved the response!!

Rocket Brother

Mo

(PS: As an owner of 2 active wedges, I now want to have that wall of cabs behind me too. It's a penis thing.)

Are you Rocket Brother's brother?

I'm getting a Wall of Atomic behind me (see pic) and 2 in front. ;)

atomicCLR.jpg

OMG - I forgot about thoses pics - now you've done it, I might have to talk to Tom about an Atomic wall :)

Rock 'N Roll attitude with the wall vs portability and practicality with the 3 wedges :)

We need more of this.

Loved the response!!

Rocket Brother - this review was sick. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it, thanks for taking the time and thought put into it, and thanks so much for the humour speckled throughout. This is such a choice review - well worth the wait. Mega thanks :pride:

Mo

Thank Ventura,

I always enjoy your posting style - maybe the two of us should go cruising for some feisty midgets one day ? :))))

Last edited:

i think an alternative point of view would be very healthy at this moment.

I for one will be very grateful to read your reasoning and deductions following your own shootout, if you decide to post it here.

ROcket Brother was extremely careful to explain the personal perspective behind his endorsements. As these purchasing decisions are so easily fuelled by GAS, and also the very high levels of enthusiasm on this forum for innovative Axe-dedicated products, different perspectives are important. There's also the buyer's inevitable defence of his purchase - conviction often being proportional to purchase price.

You mean you're sticking with traditional cabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom