Atomic CLR "EXPLOSIVE"!!! UPDATES w/Vid Setup and Backing tracks

I think it's the other way around. If you have two presets—one clean and one gainy—that are both set to the same perceived volume, the peaks on the clean signal will be hotter, and it'll be more likely to clip.

This is were I was going... but OTOH if you were running a compressor that wouldn't necessarily apply. It would also depend on what he is boosting. I run a 12dB boost at 900Hz into a semi clean Vox sim and it can cut like a knife and tear your head off and get's quite a bit louder to boot.

This is were I was going... but OTOH if you were running a compressor that wouldn't necessarily apply.
You're right, but it would take wicked amounts of compression to shave the peaks and boost the valleys enough to equal what a midling amount of distorion will do.

I run a 12dB boost at 900Hz...
12 dB of boost kinda throws out the "same perceived volume" clause. :)

...into a semi clean Vox sim...
Semi-clean = semi-gainy. :)

and it can cut like a knife and tear your head off and get's quite a bit louder to boot.
I believe you.

Played with band this weekend. Sound check, testing CLR (gain structure set up) with clean and hi gain. First run with "clean" patches set up. Sounds fantastic...switch to high gain ....over the band big time. Reset gain structure with hi gain and and levels with band........ perfect!
Switched to clean and all was good.

The dispersion of this monitor is noticeable and allows for moving around a wider area and hearing the same thing.
The other guitar player is sold on this Axe-FX FRFR stuff and complimented the tone especially on my clean preset.
Drummer wants to use the CLR as part of his personal PA for his side project (electronic dance)
"Get your own":razz

Last edited:
Played with band this weekend. Sound check, testing CLR (gain structure set up) with clean and hi gain. First run with "clean" patches set up. Sounds fantastic...switch to high gain ....over the band big time. Reset gain structure with hi gain and and levels with band........ perfect!
Switched to clean and all was good.

The dispersion of this monitor is noticeable and allows for moving around a wider area and hearing the same thing.
The other guitar player is sold on this Axe-FX FRFR stuff and complimented the tone especially on my clean preset.
Drummer wants to use the CLR as part of his personal PA for his side project (electronic dance)
"Get your own":razz
Thanks for the report, Brian. So happy to hear things continue to go well for you.

-TK

Yep it's a winner, I had my first gig with it last night and it's great. The RCF NX12 did not work for me at all, mainly due to the dispersion issue.

CLR has a better handle, better coverage, smaller footprint. Very happy.

The CLR is such a well thought out design.

I really can't pick a nit about anything. The performance, size, weight, form factor, handle, control placement, presets, just everything is rugged simple and effective.

If you back off on axefx2 output do you have to turn up input level on CLR?
Im trying to figure out best way to adjust overall volume and the CLR knobs on the back are kind of hard to get to the way Im setup.

If you back off on axefx2 output do you have to turn up input level on CLR?
I'm not sure why you'd want to. If you're turning the Axe's output down, it's because you want to make it quieter, right? Why would you then turn up the CLR?

It would be nice if Atomic would commission someone to make some really nice covers for them.

(Posted about Studio Slips as solution while reading on page 2 then after realized all that had been answered, whoops)

Ok, sold on these CLRs as what's next... Anyone wanna buy a pair of the older powered Atomic wedges complete with Studio Slips covers? ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you'd want to. If you're turning the Axe's output down, it's because you want to make it quieter, right? Why would you then turn up the CLR?

Yes turning down axefx output to lower overall volume. I think this screws up gain staging though.
Its hard for me to get to CLR knobs the way I have them setup since they are located on back, so I am trying to figure out best way to reduce overall volume.

The CLR manual lays the gain staging out pretty simply.

The idea is to get the CLR input gain staged correctly. Set the CLR master for the loudest SPL level you want. Then forget it.

Use the AxeFx II for level changes on the fly.

Richard

Maybe someone can answer this with a simple yes or no. I use mackie HD speaker and I control my overall volume with the output knob on the axe. If I got a clr I'd have to switch from the axe to the knob on the back of the speaker to control my volume from now on?

Maybe someone can answer this with a simple yes or no. I use mackie HD speaker and I control my overall volume with the output knob on the axe. If I got a clr I'd have to switch from the axe to the knob on the back of the speaker to control my volume from now on?

Set the gain stage on the CLR & then forget about the vol control on the CLR, adjust with Axe knob!

Back
Top Bottom