Atomic CLR "EXPLOSIVE"!!! UPDATES w/Vid Setup and Backing tracks

GuitarDojo

UPDATE 2/13/13 for Gain Structure Vid

First off ...Just a quick note to all recieving the CLR Active cabs

RTFM: Page 8
*****Gain Structure Set up for Active SPeakers****

EDIT: Added basic "Gain Structure" Video
Let me know what you think. Did it real fast like for all you guys waiting on yours!!!

I GOT A WEDGIE! (Active)

This is gonna be brief but hopefully I will get to report more as the week goes by...

The Packaging
- Great packaging - it withstood the perils of UPS. Some cuts and dings but no big holes in the box.

Un-boxing - I made sure I securely grabbed the side (pole hole ) and handle to get a good grip out of the box. The Atomic Active wedge was unscathed inside! (Trigger Angel music)

DUMBASS ALERT! (see RTFM above)
I quickly set up as I thought it "should" (Master all the way up and input set low ) Axe-FX output set about 9-10 o'clock. WRONG!!!
Immediately started farting out on low end chunk chunk. STOPPED and read the manual. *****Gain Structure Set up for Active SPeakers**** <- Will do a quick vid if I must (for the anal)

After that it was on and I was winning.

Jamming with AXE-FX
My Recto presets never sounded so good. My chunky grooves had me resting my foot on the wedge Petrucci style. Cleans were crisp and clear , hi gain was chiming off the strings....tones tones tones. Did the ol Crystal Echoes preset and was still blown away at the CLaRity! TRY THE FAS 6160!!!!!! One of my fav's and never has sounded better!!!
I got to open her up wide late last night (the elderly neighbors that reside on the part of my house where I was testing are hard of hearing....Thank goodness) and I literally shook the walls. People!!!! I SHOOK the Walls!!!!

Spoiled brat alert
I truly, will only need one for live use but I must have 2 and will also pray for 2 more active cabs for backline.

Comparisons
Unfortunately I do not have the Matrix or RCF to compare to. Maybe someone will get to do a live shoot out ala Axe fest.

If you guys going to NAMM can make schedule time to check these out..... do it!!!!!!

My current PA is JBL monitors and speakers + FBT as monitors at larger venues. I have used Yorkvilles (Loved them) and the legacy Atomics as my backline. QSC have been Sold off but we are looking to get the QSC KW series for main PA.

I am still testing positions and settings on the atomic but so far I could not be more pleased or pleasured...... :?....did that come out right? hmmmm

Putting it on the pole this afternoon :razz!! more to come.....

(PICS BELOW - Vid coming)

UPDATE FROM THE LIVING ROOM

One of the things that continues to impress me about the CLR is its versatility.
If you notice the pole side of the CLR, has feet. I could set this behind me on my 2x12 cab (the 2x12 acts as a very expensive amp stand) but the feet are Coffee table friendly making living room use a breeze from the couch. (while watching tv at times doing some mindless noodling :razz ) switch on FF ;) (Wife alert - She was right there and did not freak out!)

ZatomicClr_Coffee_zps22d56722.jpg

xAtomic_psfeet_zps3ddfdee0.jpg

Update Feb 9th Running the CLR wedge with the AXE-II on input 1 and a Tascam MP-GT1 on input 2 (running a MP3 backing track)
What an awesome set up!

Last edited:
Congrats. How does it compare to having an actual 4x12 cab? Do you think it has enough headroom? Does it have that kick?

Thanks for the great review. Just unboxed mine (then had to take my daughter to guitar lesson). Can't wait to try it out!

I am glad the feedback is all positive so far. Mine doesn't arrive until Tuesday so I'll have to live vicariously through your reviews.

Awesome, can't wait to hear more. I just got the Matrix Q12a and am thoroughly impressed (capable of sounding BIGGER than my Bogner 4x12!), but I want to pair it with a wedge and I'm curious if the CLR would make a good pair with it, or if I should just stick with another Matrix.

This competition between Atomic and Matrix is really good for us customers. Thanks for the reveiw. Hope there will be a little video also :)

And maybe someone who can compare too :D

Interesting the middle picture, you can only see the Horn part, is that foam under the grille hiding the 12 inch woofer? good to keep beer off :)

Back
Top Bottom