Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

Stupid question maybe: Will these also work equally great for small PA purposes, or are they specifically designed solely for use with the Axe-Fx (or similar guitar modelers)? What is the frequency response, can they handle bass well, for instance?

Jay on TGP:

"You can also use it for FOH PA in small venues, as well as for a reference monitor for recording (if you've got room for a pair)."

The Gear Page - View Single Post - Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell!!!

Stupid question maybe: Will these also work equally great for small PA purposes, or are they specifically designed solely for use with the Axe-Fx (or similar guitar modelers)? What is the frequency response, can they handle bass well, for instance?

When Jay was playing his bass through it later in the afternoon, he did say that he had not tried anything other than a 4 string bass with it, so he was not sure if a 5 string would woof out or not. Not saying it would, he just had not tested it.

Somewhat curious that these speakers would be offered by Atomic and not by Jay's own speaker company - Frazier - especially since he apparently did the design work. Frazier has been around for a long time and will continue to be around. Atomic ... somewhat of a new kid of the block ( I think ) and trying to carve out a niche. Any thoughts on why that would be?

Somewhat curious that these speakers would be offered by Atomic and not by Jay's own speaker company - Frazier - especially since he apparently did the design work. Frazier has been around for a long time and will continue to be around. Atomic ... somewhat of a new kid of the block ( I think ) and trying to carve out a niche. Any thoughts on why that would be?

Jays company mainly caters to contract install so I doubt he wants to deal with this kind of niche.

Atomic has been around for about 10 years or so, hardly, IMHO a 'new' kid on the block.

Frazier has never done consumer or retail products ever.

Here's a short video of Jay Mitchell introducing the Atomic CLR cabs. Note, these are pre-production units, and they are the passive (non-powered) cabs.

Power sections are in development; they will probably be Class-D solid-state as mentioned by previous posters on this thread.

who knew Jay Mitchell was gosh darn adorable lol. I miss that cranky bastard haha. He added some interesting flair to this forum. We want JAY! We want JAY!

Just out of curiosity does anyone else find it odd that there still isn't any info on Atomics web site regarding this product and that we all had to fine out about it on a blog.

Jay on TGP:

"You can also use it for FOH PA in small venues, as well as for a reference monitor for recording (if you've got room for a pair)."

The Gear Page - View Single Post - Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell!!!

This is what's interesting but confusing about Atomic, the company. They used to fill a valid niche that made sense. Back when real guitarists were starting to use modellers Atomic had the first (non-FR) Reactors designed to address all the inherent shortcomings of the old Pods, etc. Tube power to help them not sound so 'digital'. It made sense at the time, filled a void. No one else was doing it.

With the Axe there are no more inherent shortcomings, so what we all want is a well-designed, flat, fullrange PA speaker. There are just SO many PA manufacturers to choose from. The overall market for sound reinforcement is gigantic next to the tiny market of 'guitarists who use amp modelling'. This might be a great little PA box, but it seems like the only thing distinguishing it for guitarists is that the cube version comes in 'guitar amp' cosmetics (tolex and grillcloth).

The other thing that's hard to get my head around is, if Jay's design is so superior why don't any of the pro audio heavyweights do it that way (JBL, QSC, Meyer, EV etc..)

All this said.. I like the looks of the wedge and am definitely interested! Looking forward to future reviews, listening tests, etc.

The quick A/B you guys did with the QSC K10 has a serious shortcoming.. you were comparing the QSC internal class D amp/dsp to a Crown amp powering the passive Atomic, right? I'd expect the Crown power to sound much better.

I'm looking fwd to more 'shootout' reviews in future, esp against the co-axial FBT Verve 12ma that was all the rage at one point.

Why have a cube design at all? The vid shows the cube balanced on edge leaned against the wall so it points up like the angle of a wedge. Jay even comments that it should be used like that, pointing up at your head instead of at your kneecaps.
I'd say the Cubes scream for a solution such as this;
rs7000 | On-Stage Stands

In fact I've already got a pair waiting for a pair of Jay's cubes. You can see what it would look like here;

002-2.jpg

Last edited:
The other thing that's hard to get my head around is, if Jay's design is so superior why don't any of the pro audio heavyweights do it that way (JBL, QSC, Meyer, EV etc..)

Exactly. Either he is the Steve Jobs of PA and we just don't realize it yet, or we have unrealistic expectations due to his prior close association with Fractal. I can't say because I haven't heard it yet, nor have I read the reviews comparing Jay's design to the monitor dejour, the RCF SMA 12.

You have to take all this with a grain of salt, think of bass amps. Now it's all about Mark Bass, but Harke, Trace Elliot, SWR and Eden all had their time in the sun.

Maybe the Jaytomics turn out to be this quarter's Herman Cain.

The main points why this monitor may be so special, is that it should be a lot closer to the Flat response ideal than any other contenders like the QSC/RCF/FBT ones. Scotts has a longer post earlier, explaining the several advantages of using coaxial speakers, and why few companies use this design in their monitors - it requires a lot more of expertise to design a proper coaxial speaker. And it's more expensive, but the results are superior.

Back
Top Bottom