Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

Because guitarists are traditional creatures and I can see where the 'guitar cabs or death!' guys will buy two of these and stack them because... that's how they've done it and even if they run FRFR, they want it as 'traditional' as possible.

Wedge for me please. :D

I'm predicting a 4x12 dummy cab that you can slide the cube into, then stack the 4x12 dummy cabs.

Well It's about time, this is the solution that I have been waiting for.... I like what Im seeing, compact small foot print and some serious engineering. I want 2 wedges, any word on cost?

Edit: two cubes for the bottom and two wedges to stack on top, I guessing it would be the most expensive 412 to date.

Last edited:
Did you guys use Jay's IRs with it? How did it sound, as FRFR or comparable to a real cab?

I hope they will offer a neodymium upgrade, I'll pay +300$ for that! ;)

Jay on The Gear Page:

"The weight is an issue that is easily addressed; it only takes money. Show of hands: how many here would pay an extra ~$300-400 retail to get a speaker that is about ten pounds lighter? As of today, that's the premium that NdFeB (Neodymium-Iron-Boron) magnets would add, and that price differential will only grow in the near future.

Neo magnets offer no advantage other than lower weight. In fact, there is a slight disadvantage: the bulk demagnetization temperature of the material is lower than that of conventional strontium ferrite (ceramic) magnet material. We had already begun prototyping with neo drivers when we began receiving urgent emails from vendors with price-increase notices and reductions in the time for which price quotes would be good from the typical 90 days down to 30 days or less. It's possible - not yet decided, and not my call - that, at some future date, an optional-at-extra-cost neo version will be made available, but Tom and I were in complete agreement that the added cost combined with extreme price volatility (the Chinese hold a worldwide monopoly on neodymium at this time) made ceramic-magnet drivers a no-brainer."

The Gear Page - View Single Post - Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell!!!

OK, I may be the first and only one to say it but I'm a little disappointed in the new designs. I was hoping for something more akin to the original Atomics design which I thought were great. I appreciate the small form factor of the wedge, but the tolex and grill cloth and piping of the cube would be IMHO a lot more attractive on it.
As for the cube, well it seems a bit in "no mans land". Too small to use purely on the floor. Difficult to angle up as its got no angles. As I say, I find the look of this to be more attractive. Maybe elongating the box whilst still retaining the baffled speaker in the top half would have been better (ie having a false bottom) to give the speaker a little ground clearance and also somewhere for the logos without interfering with the the speaker.

I feel Atomic could easily have grabbed the market forever here with their original design ethic coupled with Jay's sonic superiority. Seems like the sound won over the design where both would have been nice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still gassing for these but the door's still open a crack to other makers out there to get both design and sound spot on.

Jay on The Gear Page:

"The weight is an issue that is easily addressed; it only takes money. Show of hands: how many here would pay an extra ~$300-400 retail to get a speaker that is about ten pounds lighter? As of today, that's the premium that NdFeB (Neodymium-Iron-Boron) magnets would add, and that price differential will only grow in the near future.

Neo magnets offer no advantage other than lower weight. In fact, there is a slight disadvantage: the bulk demagnetization temperature of the material is lower than that of conventional strontium ferrite (ceramic) magnet material. We had already begun prototyping with neo drivers when we began receiving urgent emails from vendors with price-increase notices and reductions in the time for which price quotes would be good from the typical 90 days down to 30 days or less. It's possible - not yet decided, and not my call - that, at some future date, an optional-at-extra-cost neo version will be made available, but Tom and I were in complete agreement that the added cost combined with extreme price volatility (the Chinese hold a worldwide monopoly on neodymium at this time) made ceramic-magnet drivers a no-brainer."

The Gear Page - View Single Post - Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell!!!

Well, for comparison the RCF NX-12 SMA is 36 lbs, and the 10-SMA is around 32, so that's 14-18 lbs difference, and if you like many of us want to have two for stereo (or even three for WDW..), it adds up, and can actually make a quite substantial a difference for a 47 year old tired back (unless you have your own roadie of course).. So far, I like everything about the new "Jaytomics", except the weight..

Neodymium CLR should be called "The Ultra CLR", opposed to "Standard CLR". I remember something similar, what the hell could be???... ;)

$400 for -10 pounds. Worth it, IMHO. They will shine paired with my neodymium pickups! :)

So the RCF's are neodynium? Are there other advantages (or disadvantages) of neodynium, besides weight?
In my experience, neodymium gives a quite important response on the high freqs, resulting in a quite "open" sound. :)

I have had the opportunity to test the neodymium cabs vs. other cabs of the same brand (here's a description of the sound differences among various Celestion cones).
The only difference was the cone, and the sound difference were important. Of course cones' specs were slightly different, but the neodymium ones sounded as advised.

From my Celestion Century specs:
"neodymium offers a superior return in terms of volume and dynamics; the bass response is always accurate and powerful, very detailed and modern; midrange is quite present, articulated and powerful; highs are present and articulated. Neodymium gives very high definition, control and dynamics, a fast attack, extraordinary sensitivity to the player's touch and and astounding lightness" (my Dragoon 2x12 weight 30 lbs).

Last edited:
Stupid question maybe: Will these also work equally great for small PA purposes, or are they specifically designed solely for use with the Axe-Fx (or similar guitar modelers)? What is the frequency response, can they handle bass well, for instance?

will power amps such as ART SLA-2 and the Matrix GT800FX be enough to drive 1 or 2 of these passive cabs or will they lack the power required to drive them properly?

is it right to assume one would need 500W+150W=650W for the passive version? If so, even a GT800fx would have insufficient headroom (clean power) to power just one Jaytomic. Then something along the lines of those high-power Carvin amps could be a good solution. Anyway, the active ones might be a wiser choice.
Well, it has to be noted that a loudspeaker's nominal power tells more about the maximum power you can apply than the minimum power required.
A sensitivity of 100 dB/1W/1 meter is quite high. This is the value that tells you "how loud" the loudspeaker will sound if driven with an equal amount of power.
So the point is "how much SPL (acoustic volume) I need", rather than "will my amp be able to drive it".
My dragoon 2x12 is equipped with two Celestion Century neodynium cones with a sensitivity of 102db and a nominal power of 80W each. When I play with my Lonestar Special @ 5W, usually my neighbours call me to tell me to stop that noise LOL
If two cones have the same sensitivity, with the same input signal they will produce the same SPL regardless their nominal power. OTOH, if the cone's nominal power is higher you can apply a more robust signal without running the risk to damage it.

Also consider that, in real life, a power amp usually works around 10-15% of its nominal power when in its linear zone (not clipping). So you can usually use a very powerful power amp without risks. This is specially true for modellers, where the saturation comes from the simulation and not from a clipping amp.
The optimal power amp suggested for my 2x12 (160 W nominal power) is 200 W, for example. This leaves a very large margin for security.

same here.. i guess it's comes down to message boards not conveying emotion, and being somewhat anonymous. I would have bet money and lost that that was Jay Mitchell. Seems like a good guy.
Well, I've never perceived Mr. Mitchell's tones as anonymous, to be honest.

The standback doesn't work very well with cube sized speakers, Imo. They're too front heavy.
I had a hard time using it with my Atomic FRFR due to that reason.

It works great with slimmer amps, like the one in your link.

Cheers!
- jonah

I used them with Atomics powered cabs. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom