Anyone Want to Test This Beta Firmware

Interesting. Would this also be beneficial for live power amp and cab users? Would this allow us to flatten the response of our poweramp before it hits a real cab like a 4x12?

No, this is for capturing IRs.

But flattening the response of our power amp would be obviously the next step ! It would be really great. I won't have to choose between a Matrix or a QSC or a Brixton power amp anymore with my cab.

I don't know if the same technology could be used for this but if yes and assuming people are ready to capture their cabs using a DI box to capture the response of their power amp too, they will be OK to do the same to amplify their Axe and get the best of it, with no more coloration of the power amp. Moreover, it could (I don't know) be a good way to simplify the search for the right settings in the Axe when connecting it to a power amp : the Axe could adjust alone things like Low Frequency Resonance...

Last edited:
But flattening the response of our power amp would be obviously the next step ! It would be really great. I won't have to choose between a Matrix or a QSC or a Brixton power amp anymore with my cab.

I don't know if the same technology could be used for this but if yes and assuming people are ready to capture their cabs using a DI box to capture the response of their power amp too, they will be OK to do the same to amplify their Axe and get the best of it, with no more coloration of the power amp. Moreover, it could (I don't know) be a good way to simplify the search for the right settings in the Axe when connecting it to a power amp : the Axe could adjust alone things like Low Frequency Resonance...

IMHO this should work if you replace the miced cab with flat cable.

Bring the capture sweep (OUT2L) straight back to IN2L (split the output). So the Axe will see a flat response as "cab" WITHOUT Amp.
The second cable -> Power Amp -> DI through -> load (speaker) & DI line out to IN2R.

This should result in the inverted (non-linearity) IR of the actual Amp (with dedicated Speaker-load) (minus Amp). In fact you can do the same with the TMA block (and get the sine sweep from the synth block), without having to split the signal chain. I assume, this would give more accurate results.

Note: For every Amp & Speakerload combination you`ll have to do a dedicated correction IR. These dedicated correction IRs will only make sense, when used with the signal chain of the actual Amp/Speaker combination (plus amp).

(minus amp plus amp = no amp)

If this will make sense in praxis is another question ...

In other words: People who make their own IR captures of their own cabinet (Axe->Amp->Guitar cabinet) to feed for example a DI signal with their own cab as IR to FOH should NOT use this new method, because they audition the miced cab through the actual amp/cabinet configuration. So, the audition and setup their Axe-Sound and mic to capture the IR WITH the imperfection of the given signal chain. So, if they are satisfied with that sound they hear, they should capture that sound for FOH, means: capture als the "imperfection". To substract the Amps imperfection will result in another frequency as they heard when finding mic positions to capture ...

In more words: In the future Axe-lovers should excatly know and understand which route of captured IRs they use and why!

Last edited:
In my tests the coloration is always unpleasant as it boosts the mids and, more importantly, reduces the low-frequency resonance which lessens the "knock" and "thump". This is when using a solid-state power amp. When using a tube power amp the resonance gets magnified.
Are there any plans to revamp the factory cabs using this new method? Not like they don't already sound great.

So I could convert my favourite third party IRs if the creator has the corrective IRs using cab lab I presume?

To Cliff : Do you think any power amp could really be used to shot an IR cab with this method ? Isn't there a problem if the amp hasn't a frequency response large enough ? Before shoting, the user should test the amp to check if it is good enough to produce a good IR (maybe the Axe could provide a signal test for that ???).

To Cliff : Do you think any power amp could really be used to shot an IR cab with this method ? Isn't there a problem if the amp hasn't a frequency response large enough ? Before shoting, the user should test the amp to check if it is good enough to produce a good IR (maybe the Axe could provide a signal test for that ???).

The frequency response range of any Power Amp ist vastly larger than any Guitar cabinet you can think of! Don`t see problems where no are there...

So this allows the amateur captures to be of similar or even parity quality with the professional captures?

So this allows the amateur captures to be of similar or even parity quality with the professional captures?

I don't think that is what the new feature is about.

It seems really convenient to use an existing amp since more than likely you have a head with the cab you are shooting or the amp is built in in the case of a combo amp.

So it saves hooking up the cab / speaker to a separate power amp just to shoot the IR.

It has always been possible for amateurs to capture pro-quality IRs—as long as you pay attention to speaker placement, mic placement, noise, etc.

Yes, but now it should be much easier to capture “professional” IR’s as you no longer need a high-end, super flat solid state amp to capture the IR.

This is interesting but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make, if any, to the final, tweaked tone one would come up with. I usually just pick an IR that gets me in the right territory and tweak from there. Wouldn't we just naturally EQ or "mod" in what we hear is missing? Will we get something in these new IRs that is unachievable with "normal" Ultra Res cabs? Will they just be more balanced, and therefore simply take EQ/mods better? Is this just a measure to take coloration out of the equation? I'm not saying this to be argumentative, I actually thoroughly appreciate the lengths to which Fractal will go to achieve "reality"... I just wonder what this will actually achieve in the grand scheme of things... considering we can coax just about anything out of this magic box as is.

To be more succinct, will this simply take an patch I've dialed with an IR that has made me compensate for certain things and make me undo those compensations essentially getting me the same tone... or will there be qualities I couldn't have achieved with the uncorrected IR?

When I hear phrases like "perfect IR", I'm curious if the development will actually create a more realistic cab sound. As stated earlier, I can EQ stuff in and out of IRs as I see fit. What is missing is the sound of air moving the speaker, the drive that accompanies the sound of a live cabinet with a real microphone, interacting with preamps/etc. It's more than just the "correct EQ curve". There are physical properties I still feel are missing in an IR. It becomes very clear when listening, especially, to double tracked live guitars vs double tracked DI IR sounds - especially with high gain.

So is that what we're getting toward? Or is this just "closer EQ"?

Cliff, I love your passion for this box! I wish I could be as passionate about my music making. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom