Anyone Want to Test This Beta Firmware

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
This is something I've been working on for a while. IRs are the single most important part of any modeler. Capturing them accurately is the goal. Our research has shown that even so-called "flat" power amps aren't all that flat and usually suffer from significant frequency response errors around the resonant frequency of the speaker and at the high frequencies.

So we came up with the idea of "Reference IR Compensation" and that made it's way into the new version of Cab-Lab and if you've bought some of our new Cab Packs there are reference IRs in there. These reference IRs capture the response at the output of the amplifier and can be used to correct the IR for the imperfect response of the power amp.

Another problem with capturing IRs is simply the availability of a power amp and the hassle of setting it all up.

Well this new firmware addresses these issues. With this new firmware you can use ANY amp and get a perfect IR. You can use an old tube amp you have lying around or a high-gain head or whatever. The proprietary processing removes all the distortion and corrects the IR for the response of the amp. You don't even need to worry about where the tone controls are set.

The other cool thing about this is you can get the IR of a combo amp easily. You don't need to disconnect the speaker from the amp (but you need to put a DI box inline). Just plug the Axe-Fx into the front of the amp and go. This has the added benefit of allowing you to get the best mic position. Simply plug into the amp and adjust the mic until it sounds best. Then run the IR Utility and you'll get the IR of the speaker with the mic in that position. If you want you can then do a Tone Match and get yourself a nearly perfect clone of that amp.

The Release Notes explain it pretty well. I'll try to answer questions as best I can until we've updated the IR Capture Guide.

Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/beta/axefx2_17p04beta.syx

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/beta/axefx2_xl_17p04beta.syx

Release Notes:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/beta/Release_Notes.pdf

Wow, more innovation Cliff! It's so fun watching you do what you do. These "Cliff's Notes" explanations really make it interesting and exciting. Fantastic stuff!

Interesting. Would this also be beneficial for live power amp and cab users? Would this allow us to flatten the response of our poweramp before it hits a real cab like a 4x12?

I have the needed things mentioned in the release notes and will try this out tomorrow. Thanks Cliff

Basically this feature just is useful for the capture of IR's and wouldn't change anything from the standpoint of playing using existing IR's, correct ?

Though I understand this is still a brand new beta, I thought it was worth mentioning that in the "To use the Mic/Line + DI method do the following:" section of the release notes, it doesn't list having to plug the output of the DI box to the INPUT 2 Left of the Axe-FX as a step. It does mention it in the first paragraph, but I know there will be some people who will skip straight to the steps to attempt the new method of IR Capture.

Though I understand this is still a brand new beta, I thought it was worth mentioning that in the "To use the Mic/Line + DI method do the following:" section of the release notes, it doesn't list having to plug the output of the DI box to the INPUT 2 Left of the Axe-FX as a step. It does mention it in the first paragraph, but I know there will be some people who will skip straight to the steps to attempt the new method of IR Capture.

An updated version of the Release Notes has been uploaded.

Thanks - Will try it out with my ported Mesa Wide Body Cabs (will have to read up on best way to mic those) via Mini Rec, and my Blackstar HT5 combo.

Happy New Year

Hmm - I have Precision Instruments DI Boxes with an Instr/SPKR switch but I'm not sure I want to trust it and risk frying my Axefx. My Backstair Combo has a Speaker Emulated Output jack - anyone know if that would that suffice as a DI output to Axe Input 2R?

Back
Top Bottom