Anyone have squealing issues?

Have you tried a noise gate block?

I always use the noise gate in the 'input section' of the chain and that works great, but not in my single coil microphonic squealing scenario. It really is a great noise gate though. . I'm going to try a separate block to see if that works differently. I never EVER get squealing with any of my HB pickups btw, and my Single Coils never ever squeal with my regular amps (my Splawns, Marshalls, etc) , so it's some interaction with the Ax8 and hi-gain and single coils. . Oh well, next will try the noise gate block. Eric

I'm playing with a Matrix Q12A and an Yamaha AES 920 (IMO very bright guitar with tone control all the way up). With my current patches I'm experiencing the tweeter squeal. I think it is. Here are plenty of tips, I can work around it. My question is a different one:

I have the hi cut filter in the cab block around 8 to 10k in my patch with the squeal. When I reduce the last band in the global eq to 0 the squeal occurs less often and I get more musical fee back which is nice. Reducing the second last band in the global eq makes it even better. But how is this possible? The last band is about 16k and my hi cut in the cab block is around 10k. As I understand it, the last fader should not affect the hi cutted sound. But it seems that I'm wrong. Maybe someone can be so kind and explain where my understanding is wrong ;)

I have the hi cut filter in the cab block around 8 to 10k in my patch with the squeal. When I reduce the last band in the global eq to 0 the squeal occurs less often and I get more musical fee back which is nice. Reducing the second last band in the global eq makes it even better. But how is this possible? The last band is about 16k and my hi cut in the cab block is around 10k. As I understand it, the last fader should not affect the hi cutted sound. But it seems that I'm wrong. Maybe someone can be so kind and explain where my understanding is wrong ;)
"Hi Cut" doesn't mean cleanly slicing off high frequencies. It means rolling them off—by 3 dB at the stated frequency, and by more at higher frequencies. There are still high frequencies there that can be further reduced by other EQ.

Has anyone had issue with "mechanical coupling" of Fractal rig elements? Tubes can become "microphonic". Setting the tube amp on the cab can couple and mirror the same issue. The OP mentioned he is in very close quarters to his rig.

Hmmm. I'm having this issue with a number of my guitars. Happens even at very low volumes. Changing the input impedance on the Axe II helps, but isn't an option on the AX 8. I think this is something that should be addressed in the firmware, not by tweaking eq's and stuff like that. Never had this problem with my Line 6 stuff, and Fractal is supposed to be well, Fractal, sooo...

Even too much highs can cause that, try reduce presence and/or cab's high-cut frequency

Early on I would get a bit of this.

Haven't had it for so long, I'd forgotten about it - this got me thinking what has changed?

On almost all of my settings I habitually put a high cut on the cab block, makes everything sound better - but that could be an idea here.

If you're FRFR, the speakers are capable of producing high frequencies you just don't need, and conceivably can't even hear - but they will impact the sound, and possibly induce feedback etc.

Try a high cut at 12k, and maybe even as low as 6k depending on the sound, maybe that will help?

I love my AX8, but I have randomly been experiencing uncontrollable squealing on my lead patches. My input levels are not any greater than the stock patches and I don't use extremely high gain as I play in a corporate band. The board is not clipping either. I'm at the end of my rope with this. Can anyone help?

Although this was in an Axe FX 2 thread - I think it's very relevant and may be of some use:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tweeter-squeal-ruined-the-rehearsal-last-night.90679/

Tweeter squeal is obviously something that a fair amount of users here are experiencing with FRFR monitoring systems. It's a real PITA and I have yet to conquor it! Some venues are fine, home is fine but some venues just seem to squeal so bad even at stupidly low volumes. I find it very difficult to coax musical feedback out of FRFR, which is the one thing I miss from my old valve amps.

I can appreciate this discussion. I am using a powered monitor live, not frfr. I have never experienced the squeal on any of the presets or patches I have created, however I get them on 2 I purchased. Mokes Eruption and Anyway you want it, both for humbuckers, and that awesome appetite for destruction patch Salazar Mac posted. These are incredibly good all 3, but I have been unable to play them live for the squealing. I have not attempted to go in and tweak them as I am not so experienced. I do know the distance I stand from my monitor is not the issue.
At home I can get them all reasonably loud through the monitor without them feeding back, but if I go too loud they do.
Here is a question for sounds guys:
I can get my stage monitor volume 2 different ways, each producing the same volume out of the monitor.
1. my monitor volume knob turned up high, and a low signal from the board, or
2. my monitor volume knob turned down and a higher signal from the board
which is the best for eliminating feedback(hope this makes sense)
thanks guys

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom