Anyone have squealing issues?

I love my AX8, but I have randomly been experiencing uncontrollable squealing on my lead patches. My input levels are not any greater than the stock patches and I don't use extremely high gain as I play in a corporate band. The board is not clipping either. I'm at the end of my rope with this. Can anyone help?

I'm assuming you're using an FRFR speaker. This is somewhat common and is known as "tweeter squeal". The magnetic field from the tweeter couples into your pickups causing a feedback loop. Turn down the gain, move away from speaker, try a different monitor.

I'm assuming you're using an FRFR speaker. This is somewhat common and is known as "tweeter squeal". The magnetic field from the tweeter couples into your pickups causing a feedback loop. Turn down the gain, move away from speaker, try a different monitor.
It happened with my QSC K10 and have since replaced it with Atomic neo CLR. Gain levels are low to mid levels compared to most factory patches. I can only stand so far away on stage and still hear my self or not stand on someone else.

Bruce, I haven't experienced that problem with my AX8 but your question made me wonder about a few things. It seems as though you are saying the AX8 isn't squealing on the factory patches, but is on your lead patches. Am I reading that right? Also, could you share which guitar you're playing, and maybe even share a patch that you're having issues with so we can give it a whirl on our own rigs? With all the settings that are possible, it can help to unravel the mystery.

I experience this with my II anytime we play a stage with front fills or side fills (I use IEMs). I can't go near them. You wouldn't think the magnetic field from a tweeter would extend that far, but it does. Perhaps some efficient (loud) live monitors are not designed to contain the field. I have no problems with my studio monitors at home, even when cranked. Tweeter squeal sounds distinctly different than feedback from a guitar cab.

I get it sometimes too. Even with headphones. My opinion is that it's not micro phonic, or even inductive because with headphones that shouldn't be possible. Having said that, what else could it be? The only fix I have found is to decrease the input impedance, or turn the gain way down. Both fixes destroy the sound of the patch unfortunately.
Thanks
Pauly

I used to have the same issue when I first switched to FRFR, especially when trying to purposely get controlled feedback. I use an Axe-Fx II and had to lower the Global Output 10 band EQ's highest frequency all the way, which I think is 16K and lower the 2nd to highest frequency -6dB which I think is 8K. It didn't change the sound at all but resolved the issue and I can now get controlled feedback.

I'm not sure if the AX8 has a Global Output EQ because I haven't used one before. If it doesn't, place a 10 band EQ block at the end of the signal chain and change the last 2 bands as described above.

Yes, the AX8 has a global EQ like the AxeFX. However, I have never encountered anything like this using any fractal products (Ultra, AxeFX II, AX8) through a variety of FRFR speakers (FBT, Xitone, RCF, CLR) at gig level volumes. You shouldn't have to EQ the high end like that. Sounds like something else is wrong.

OP, post your preset. I'm also using a CLR. I can try using your preset with my guitars at the same volume on the CLR to see if I get any squeal.

Maybe stage volume a bit high? Could also be picking up from the mains if they're not well in front of the stage.

I have 2 types of passive FRFR cabs - a single Matrix FR212 and type then also 2 1x12 extended range 12 inch speakers with small tweeters

The Matrix has a big old beefy HF tweeter and at volume could squeal if you get too close. The little 1x12s with their less efficient tweeters do seem to handle the volume vs feedback/squeal better and sound pretty good too - shorter throw I expect than the Matrix though. I can also opt to bypass the tweeters altogether if I feel like it.

I built the 1x12s using the DIY kit from ritteramps in Germany. It was a gamble ..... but not big money and getting my hands on the more well known stuff out there is hassle when you live in the ass end of nowhere.

Still on the fence about using FRFR as backline when playing live anyway

Could it be the pickup? Loose mounting or cover or base plate, metal bezel rubbing, potting: etc.

The only time I can get it to squeal is when I intentionally run it FRPR:

stereo-squealers.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce, I haven't experienced that problem with my AX8 but your question made me wonder about a few things. It seems as though you are saying the AX8 isn't squealing on the factory patches, but is on your lead patches. Am I reading that right? Also, could you share which guitar you're playing, and maybe even share a patch that you're having issues with so we can give it a whirl on our own rigs? With all the settings that are possible, it can help to unravel the mystery.
It happens with higher gain factory presets as well. I am using a G&L Tele and a Suhr Pro Modern HSH. It happens with both guitars. It happens on stage and alone in my basement. The only thing that reduces it sometimes is removal of bright switch or sharp reduction in gain, both of which suck the tone. I am at the end of my rope and have considered ditching the board, but that would break my hear (and wallet). I even uploaded Glenn DuLanne's Matchless 88 patch and it squealed. Funny thing is sometimes, there will be no squeals, but then when it starts, it stays forever. Is it possible that the board is defective?

Attachments

• Rock Lead Suhr.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 8
Maybe stage volume a bit high? Could also be picking up from the mains if they're not well in front of the stage.

I have 2 types of passive FRFR cabs - a single Matrix FR212 and type then also 2 1x12 extended range 12 inch speakers with small tweeters

The Matrix has a big old beefy HF tweeter and at volume could squeal if you get too close. The little 1x12s with their less efficient tweeters do seem to handle the volume vs feedback/squeal better and sound pretty good too - shorter throw I expect than the Matrix though. I can also opt to bypass the tweeters altogether if I feel like it.

I built the 1x12s using the DIY kit from ritteramps in Germany. It was a gamble ..... but not big money and getting my hands on the more well known stuff out there is hassle when you live in the ass end of nowhere.

Still on the fence about using FRFR as backline when playing live anyway
The squeal definitely reduces if I keep the output knob at no more than 9 o'clock, but then I am challenged with hearing myself.

This is happening even with factory patches. Could the unit itself be defective?

What's your cable situation? Are you using a bundled cable snake? Crosstalk between cables can cause feedback loops and squealing if they are not properly shielded.

Back
Top Bottom