Any hope of Preset compatability between Ultra & II?

krcassid

Inspired
I suspect this question has been asked. But, I can't find it. To me, the biggest hurdle for the Axe II is having to redo all my hard work on Ultra presets. I've literally got hundreds of hours (I'm sure there are those w/ thousands) invested in my Ultra. Is there any hope we will be able to use this investment with Axe 2? My understanding is that, currently, the 2 are incompatible.

I understand that the II may be WAY better. I just don't know if I have the time to start over. If there is no hope of compatibility, can someone comment on the ease of "transferring" presets from Ultra to 2 manually (IE: pull up my Ultra patch in Axe Edit and recreate it using similar values on Axe 2)? This would be a laborious procedure. But, it might be better as a starting point to starting completely from scratch.

Any thoughts? Thx!

Has been asked..probably not gonna happen, different parameters, ext.

But if you have invested that much time in the Ax, you have a massive head start with the 2 which is more user friendly and those initial hundreds of hours will now likely only be dozens of hours.

If the added features don't outweigh the time needed to recreate, then you have your answer.

Last edited:
some hope...

This from the axe edit readme:

* Ultra/Standard presets are NOT currently supported by Axe-Fx II configuration (translation provided in future release).

From what most people have said, similar transfer of Standard/ultra patches has not yielded desireable results.

Even if you do it, matching parameters 1:1 across the range (where you can, they have different parameter sets) you will then need to spend considerable tweaking time to rework them.

It just doesn't work; and I originally shared the same initial apprehension - I had my Ultra dialed *in*. I had no need, so I thought, to rework those tones. Little did I know. :p :D

Trust me on this - do it for one preset and you'll understand it takes longer to attempt a 1:1 copy than to just dial up the essentially same thing in the 2 from scratch and you'll end up with better results - based on my experience - just reworking from scratch.

You are trying to make a dish with different ingredients. The recipe will not be the same. The soup will be better in the end if you just start from scratch. Honest. IMHO, YMMV.

I don't have a II yet but what about a converter that would at least convert basic blocks and controller settings? That way all the block set up and selection would give you a starting point?

OK, this is what I'm seeing so far in every one of these kinds of threads...

OP says, "I don't own an Axe-FX II, but have owned an Ultra, I think I may need a converter, cause my presets are perfect."

An Axe-II owner says, "You won't need it, you'll be surprised by how much easier it is to just dial in new ones."

Non-Axe-II owner say, " But it would give me a great starting point."

Another Axe-II owner says, "Believe me, you won't like what you hear, and it would be easier to start from scratch."

Another Non-Axe-II owner says, "But, but!!!"

Another Axe-II owners says, "Trust me."

I think what I'm trying to say is, why don't you non-Axe-II guys wait till you actually have one, and see if it's even necessary?

I mean, there seems to be some consistency in what the Axe-II owners are saying, so there's a good chance they know what they are talking about.

Even if you do it, matching parameters 1:1 across the range (where you can, they have different parameter sets) you will then need to spend considerable tweaking time to rework them.

It just doesn't work; and I originally shared the same initial apprehension - I had my Ultra dialed *in*. I had no need, so I thought, to rework those tones. Little did I know. :p :D

Trust me on this - do it for one preset and you'll understand it takes longer to attempt a 1:1 copy than to just dial up the essentially same thing in the 2 from scratch and you'll end up with better results - based on my experience - just reworking from scratch.

You are trying to make a dish with different ingredients. The recipe will not be the same. The soup will be better in the end if you just start from scratch. Honest. IMHO, YMMV.

I with you 100% on the Scott.

They are not compatible. I put my Ultra in the same rack as my Axe Fx II and the II ate my Ultra!
Good thing I've been careful about keeping my Ultra and II separated. Was the Ultra eaten alive or did the II slay it first?

I hope something will eventually be released that will do some of the work for you (setting up the grid, modifiers, basic parameter settings). Even if it did 50% of the basic setup, it would be a tremendous help. For me, tweaking is one thing, but starting from scratch on every preset is just not feasible.

I think what I'm trying to say is, why don't you non-Axe-II guys wait till you actually have one, and see if it's even necessary?

I mean, there seems to be some consistency in what the Axe-II owners are saying, so there's a good chance they know what they are talking about.

Listen to this man.

I hope something will eventually be released that will do some of the work for you (setting up the grid, modifiers, basic parameter settings). Even if it did 50% of the basic setup, it would be a tremendous help. For me, tweaking is one thing, but starting from scratch on every preset is just not feasible.

How so?

Your setup can't be SO complicated that if you'd have properly documented it, then replicating it in the space of 2 minutes should not be an issue. Half of the battle is learning what you're DOING, the rest is a detail. (I come from a background of Enterprise level Server Engineering, and NOTHING is platform specific...once you figure out what you want to do, crack a book for 10 minutes and figure out how this particular platform does that.)

I agree with the argument that doing a 'preset translator' is a waste of time for Fractal. If someone else on the board wants to put one together, great. But in the end, there will be MANY parameters that are based off of 'what you think and hear as default'. Which in the new algorithm, has changed slightly. A conversion program will come out, and the inevitable cacophony will be 'it doesn't sound the same' or 'as good'. There CAN NOT BE a one to one comparison between 'old' presets and the new box. The new one is designed to be better, so time is better spent reworking those perfect presets to the new platform.

IMO.

Ron

I've taken some Axe-Edit screenshots of my important Ultra settings (bundled together in a PowerPoint doc), so that way I can remember how I had settings, modifiers, layout, etc.

I've taken some Axe-Edit screenshots of my important Ultra settings (bundled together in a PowerPoint doc), so that way I can remember how I had settings, modifiers, layout, etc.
Why not just dump the presets so you can call them up in AxeEdit?

If you really have to use the Ultra presets as a starting point <takes de-e-e-p breath>, then..
Install AxeEdit twice into separate folders/directories.
Have the 1st instance point to your Ultra workspace and use the Ultra profile/config.
Have the 2nd be your new Axe-II workspace and use the II profile.
Start both...
load up a preset in Ultra.
Go to 383 in II (blank preset) and start mapping the Ultra blocks over.

As previously stated by Scott and Sean, you'll find out pretty quickly that things DO NOT MAP exactly (as I've stated many times in other posts) and even "IF" they happen to map EXACTLY, the preset on the II will NOT sound the same.

Parameters have changed. Some added some removed. Algorithms have been re-worked/re-vamped, ranges/values have changed and amp/speaker models have changed. A DOES NOT EQUAL B!!!

Please take the advice of those who have been working on the Axe-II for awhile and take what they say as being helpful. :)

I think this is best advice I've seen. There is no way to tell without trying. For myself, it is, in no way, a matter of doubting the capabilities of the II. My OP was simply trying to determine if there was a workable solution on the horizon to utilize my time best. However, after reading these comments, I think the only way I'll know is to get them side by side and see how fast setup is and how much better it is starting from scratch. I also agree that it may be foolish to start creating a II preset from an Ultra preset. Thx Guys!

Back
Top Bottom