Any 335'ers Up In Here??

8a5ae49b-fe46-417c-8edd-68a7c081b817_1_105_c-jpeg.87457

@Justmc a nice specimen.

For the life of me I cant figure out why the CS LP's dont get any of these tops.
My ES-335 also has a great top. Both of them are probably my most prized instruments. 335 is a little easier to play and has a more open feel but is quite large. The 339 is smaller, lighter but sounds slightly darker. Also the closer horns on the body constrict part of the higher register. My hands are fairly large and it really has not hampered my playing though . If I have a choice over the two the 335 wins out .

Hey @la szum , I may have to buy a Sire H7. Do I need one? No. Are they the best? Surely not. I'm just really curious because people keep singing the brand's praises and I think John Cordy is the last straw for me. He almost always uses a Strat and he's been using the H7 a few times lately (he's been spotted using the L7 also). Seems like a really low risk investment for a good practice guitar at worst.

Just checking in. The Fractal models behave so well with my various guitars.

Last week I had my FM3 out with my PRS DGT and, with a JTM-45 based preset, then an ODS one, it sounded wonderful. Monday I’m going to take my FM9 or FX3 along with my PRS Custom 22 Semihollow and see what sort of trouble I can stir up. Seriously, that’s my intention, to make people wonder “WTF is he using!?”

The ages-old discussions about “amp in the room” versus the sound of a miked amp will probably never go away, but whatever, Fractal’s sound is stunning, plenty good for use in a studio or on stage, to the point I’m trying to figure out what is the minimal system I can haul around and cover the bases in a new room.

I want to make people question why they need a shi*y, cheap-a*, tube amp, when they can use a great sounding tube-free system. And if I can have fun doing it… yeh. That’s what I think about when sitting on my porch.

So, back to the semi-hollow subject. In my experience, with good sounding speakers and a good model in the preset, the guitar doesn’t care, especially a semi-hollow guitar. The only difference I see is the guitar is more sensitive and responsive to the acoustic coupling, so we need to reduce the amp model’s gain, or turn down the guitar’s volume, otherwise the sound can get too fat. It’s a semi-hollow thing, not the problem of the modeler, it’s just acoustics and physics.

And it’s fricken fun.

Last edited:
My 355 called "Alex" for obvious reasons (to me, at least). It's great for what it does, but I do have to fight it a little bit compared to my Les Paul or PRS (seen on the fringes of the photo). I've been on a mostly acoustic kick since around the time I bought it, so it's spent most of its time subjected to my attempts at the Rush catalog. It sounds great whether clean, eob, od, or distorted. I haven't had any feedback issues, but I play through monitors and don't exactly crank it. I don't have any special patches, I tend to stay on one patch with clean, crunch, and lead distributed across various scenes. It does sound great on a few Rush-specific patches I think I got from here. (TSOR & YYZ). Honestly, I use the volume knob as much as anything for tone.

355.PNG

A friend of mine has a Colings i35 and I think that is my favourite 335 type. Although I do like the Historic reissue Gibson versions.

Last edited:
I purchased this ES-335 from a fellow in 1976 for $400.00, as I was greatly influenced back then by Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour, who were both playing them. It was modified with a stop tail piece, and has been re-fretted as it was my main guitar for a number of years. I still use it occasionally for Metheny style playing, but since I became a Holdsworth fan back in the 80's, I have used solid body guitars more regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I have never played a 335 style guitar but often think that might be my next guitar to add something different to my small collection. That or a Gretsch.

I have never played a 335 style guitar but often think that might be my next guitar to add something different to my small collection. That or a Gretsch.
Never? You gotta try one. I have a Gretch Black Falcon and love it; it's worth a pretty penny these days and those Filtertrons do something that no other p/u does. BUT, if I were stuck with only one guitar I'd take a 335.

Never? You gotta try one. I have a Gretch Black Falcon and love it; it's worth a pretty penny these days and those Filtertrons do something that no other p/u does. BUT, if I were stuck with only one guitar I'd take a 335.

Wow! Gonna need some pics of that. :)

I guess, I'm kind of a poseur posting here, BUT, I had one of the newer Gibson es-335 about a week ago with the T-type pickups and I loved it but couldn't get along with the neck. It felt like a D shape to me, like the slim taper on Epiphones. I had to return it and now I'm looking for one with more chönk™ - and definitely more shoulder to support my playing style. I think it was one of my favorite sounding guitars-- it was so transparent. What a sad day when I had to send it back :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of quick pics. I found one with the wire handle which is uncommon. She doesn't get much playing time lately because I've been getting into using my Roland GR-55. If you can manage the feedback, there's nothing quite like cranking one of these up though; it'll put a smile on your face for sure! :p

View attachment 103830View attachment 103831
She's a beaut! I have a white one. Your comment about a 335 has me itching to try one now. The wife and I are heading to Fort Wayne, IN, area this weekend. I feel a Sweetwater stop coming on.

One thing I've noticed about my Falcon is I like the pickups really low, like almost all the way screwed down, including the pole adjusters. Do you find the same?

She's a beaut! I have a white one. Your comment about a 335 has me itching to try one now. The wife and I are heading to Fort Wayne, IN, area this weekend. I feel a Sweetwater stop coming on.

One thing I've noticed about my Falcon is I like the pickups really low, like almost all the way screwed down, including the pole adjusters. Do you find the same?
Thanks! They are beautiful guitars for sure. I'm not sure where the p/u's sit in relation to being all the way down. They are definitely further down than my PAFs on my 335 though. Bach when I got it I was happy with the sounds I was getting so I didn't mess with them, but I did notice they are set noticeably further down.

Back
Top Bottom