Any 335'ers Up In Here??

I just saw that Wolfie is out with GnR, so I checked out his live videos (he's great!), and he's playing 2 Gibson semi-hollowbodies. One has the traditional headstock; the other has the pegs all on the top side (never seen that before- I don't know the various 335/355/339/etc. variations.)
Guitar sounds perfect for what he's doing. Kinda surprised he wasn't using a Wolfgang! (Looks like one of the other guitarists is though, and the 3rd is playing an SG.)

I just saw that Wolfie is out with GnR, so I checked out his live videos (he's great!), and he's playing 2 Gibson semi-hollowbodies. One has the traditional headstock; the other has the pegs all on the top side (never seen that before- I don't know the various 335/355/339/etc. variations.)
Guitar sounds perfect for what he's doing. Kinda surprised he wasn't using a Wolfgang! (Looks like one of the other guitarists is though, and the 3rd is playing an SG.)

That didn't escape me either. I love that he is carving his own path in
every way he can. I think one of them is a Trini Lopez RI 335. They
have the reverse Firebird style headstock.

The long-time guitar player for The Pretty Reckless also uses a 335 and
gets some killer higher gain tones.

Posting this video for more than one reason. :)

Last edited:
Thread title is, essentially, the subject matter. Just curious about anyone
using a 335 (or other semi-hollow body guitar) with a Fractal. I see a lot
of high-gain EVH talk, and a bunch of djenty dudes all gained up with
nowhere to go on the forum, but seldom see anyu discussion about using
a Fractal with something like a 335. So if you are out there i'd love to hear
from you.

Confession: A 335 was my main guitar in a pre-COVID all original gigging
situation, but since getting an FM3 I have literally not plugged my 335 into
it one time. 🤦‍♂️
So what attracted you to the 335?

For myself, I had no idea of what to buy. I was getting into electric guitar from classical and I only knew I liked the aesthetic. I was stationed in Korea at the time and purchased a Korean "knock off" (which is awesome and will hold its own against any Gibson). I was just dumb and lucky. I had no idea about humbucker vs single coil, pick up configuration, none of that stuff. It was just a beautiful guitar and I liked the sound when I tested it. There was probably something in my subconscious from seeing some 60s and 70s rockers with them (Clapton used to rock one).

I've since tried some solid bodies and I just cannot connect. There's just something I miss in the tone. Plus I think Fenders are ugly (go ahead and throw stones people!!! :p)

If you watch the Rhett Shull vid on 335s he mentions that, being a taller guy, it feels better and that's also the case with me.

If you watch the Rhett Shull vid on 335s he mentions that, being a taller guy, it feels better and that's also the case with me.
How tall are you? I'm 6' and find my Corsair fits me really well, it's quite comfortable to play. I do tend to hang my guitar a little higher though.

I'd wanted a 335 for years, but they're so expensive I just never wanted to justify it. The Corsair showed up on Craigslist one day when I wasn't really looking, and I just couldn't pass it up. It's such a fantastic guitar for the money, I don't see any reason to get a an actual 335 anymore.

Hmm, also all this talk and I think I'm going to play it tonight, I've been giving the T-60 too much attention.

So what attracted you to the 335?

For myself, I had no idea of what to buy. I was getting into electric guitar from classical and I only knew I liked the aesthetic. I was stationed in Korea at the time and purchased a Korean "knock off" (which is awesome and will hold its own against any Gibson). I was just dumb and lucky. I had no idea about humbucker vs single coil, pick up configuration, none of that stuff. It was just a beautiful guitar and I liked the sound when I tested it. There was probably something in my subconscious from seeing some 60s and 70s rockers with them (Clapton used to rock one).

I've since tried some solid bodies and I just cannot connect. There's just something I miss in the tone. Plus I think Fenders are ugly (go ahead and throw stones people!!! :p)

Cool! I'll reply tomorrow. Going to go play my 335 through my Fractal rig now. :)

How tall are you? I'm 6' and find my Corsair fits me really well, it's quite comfortable to play. I do tend to hang my guitar a little higher though.

I'd wanted a 335 for years, but they're so expensive I just never wanted to justify it. The Corsair showed up on Craigslist one day when I wasn't really looking, and I just couldn't pass it up. It's such a fantastic guitar for the money, I don't see any reason to get a an actual 335 anymore.

Hmm, also all this talk and I think I'm going to play it tonight, I've been giving the T-60 too much attention.
I'm 6'2".

That Corsair is a good looking guitar! Personally, I think Gibsons are overrated. I am now at a point in my life where I could purchase one (the aforementioned Kiesel above was in that price range) and I won't because I love my knock off. I would probably only buy a classic Gibson, if ever. You can find other brands that do it just was well (Epiphones are great and pretty much most guitars made in Korea and Japan are going to be fine).

EDIT: I should probably clarify for those that own Gibsons. By saying they are overrated, I only mean you get less value for your $ (especially these days with so many other options). Hey, Gibson set the standard. Most of their stuff is beautiful, except for the SG, which is an ugly pointy guitar! :p

Last edited:
That Corsair is a good looking guitar! Personally, I think Gibsons are overrated. I am now at a point in my life where I could purchase one (the aforementioned Kiesel above was in that price range) and I won't because I love my knock off. I would probably only buy a classic Gibson, if ever. You can find other brands that do it just was well (Epiphones are great and pretty much most gutars made in Korea and Japan are going to be fine).
That's exactly it - I can certainly afford it, but it doesn't seem worth the money, unless it's actually vintage. Must be why I have three Schecters :)

Years ago I had an early 60s ES-345 with PAF pickups, sold it, of course. Later I bought a late 60s or early 70s ES-335, sold it to a friend, bought another several years later, then sold it. I felt that a semi-hollow sat midway between the sound of a Strat and a Les Paul, and I had those already and always took those to gigs so the 335 didn't really do anything for me.

For years I've been very content with solid-body guitars, especially PRS. I have the previous series Studio when they first got Narrowfield pickups, a first year DGT, a SC-245 and a 509. And, the new PRS Special semi-hollow is calling my name. Between it and the Studio and the 509 I'd have no reason for my Strats, so they are definitely on the chopping block.

Reactions: ESW
Years ago I had an early 60s ES-345 with PAF pickups, sold it, of course. Later I bought a late 60s or early 70s ES-335, sold it to a friend, bought another several years later, then sold it. I felt that a semi-hollow sat midway between the sound of a Strat and a Les Paul, and I had those already and always took those to gigs so the 335 didn't really do anything for me.

For years I've been very content with solid-body guitars, especially PRS. I have the previous series Studio when they first got Narrowfield pickups, a first year DGT, a SC-245 and a 509. And, the new PRS Special semi-hollow is calling my name. Between it and the Studio and the 509 I'd have no reason for my Strats, so they are definitely on the chopping block.
And that's also why semi-hollows are work horses. Hellbat up above commented that he uses a 339 because it's so flexible and can cover all the tones.

The PRS SE II w/ piezo is interesting. I just don't like the PRS form factor.

The PRS SE II w/ piezo is interesting. I just don't like the PRS form factor.
A todo item for me is to spend some time with a PRS, only really played them briefly in stores, and most people really like them. I keep eyeing one on Craigslist locally, should just buy it and see how that goes.

A todo item for me is to spend some time with a PRS, only really played them briefly in stores, and most people really like them. I keep eyeing one on Craigslist locally, should just buy it and see how that goes.
You've got to check out this video. It almost makes me want one, except it's an ugly pointy guitar :p (eventually I'll get someone to bite!) and guitars, like women, should have curves. Also, I'm not so sure it will get those darker, creamy, jazzy tones that so far I only can get from a semi or full hollow body.

There's a thread about prs on another forum - they arent for everyone. That said, if you know you like singlecuts over doublecuts, try the singlecut models.

If you wont lose money on the CL one, giv'r.
You've got to check out this video. It almost makes me want one, except it's an ugly pointy guitar :p (eventually I'll get someone to bite!) and guitars, like women, should have curves. Also, I'm not so sure it will get those darker, creamy, jazzy tones that so far I only can get from a semi or full hollow body.

Dark jazzy tones? You mean neck pickup with the tone rolled back, maybe flatwounds? I am no jazz connoisseur but Im confident that it's doable.

There's a thread about prs on another forum - they arent for everyone. That said, if you know you like singlecuts over doublecuts, try the singlecut models.

If you wont lose money on the CL one, giv'r.

Dark jazzy tones? You mean neck pickup with the tone rolled back, maybe flatwounds? I am no jazz connoisseur but Im confident that it's doable.
Haven't found a solid body yet that can compare to a 335 for those tones. Yes, you can get a passable tone, but there's always something missing. There's a reason most "serious" jazz players go for either semi or full hollow body.

Haven't found a solid body yet that can compare to a 335 for those tones. Yes, you can get a passable tone, but there's always something missing. There's a reason most "serious" jazz players go for either semi or full hollow body.

Do you have a jazz preset you can share, and I'll see how my semi-hollow 594 does (tonewise, not playing hahaha)

Do you have a jazz preset you can share, and I'll see how my semi-hollow 594 does (tonewise, not playing hahaha)
I've fairly recently become interested in the jazzier possibilities of the 335. My background is classical to rock. Used to consider jazz boring, but never gave it much of a chance. I actually took to it when revisiting music theory and chord progressions and modes.

I've got a couple of different amp models I bounce around with (currently for jazzy tones I'm messing around with the Shiva but Fender amps are generally good). I don't really do much effect wise (use a touch of compression and reverb to taste). For me it's mostly about the guitar and the amp and getting the most out of just them.

Does PRS make a semi-hollow 594? I thought that was a solid model.

Back
Top Bottom