Any 335'ers Up In Here??

I've fairly recently become interested in the jazzier possibilities of the 335. My background is classical to rock. Used to consider jazz boring, but never gave it much of a chance. I actually took to it when revisiting music theory and chord progressions and modes.

I've got a couple of different amp models I bounce around with (currently for jazzy tones I'm messing around with the Shiva but Fender amps are generally good). I don't really do much effect wise (use a touch of compression and reverb to taste). For me it's mostly about the guitar and the amp and getting the most out of just them.

Does PRS make a semi-hollow 594? I thought that was a solid model.

Yes they do. The production version is the doublecut body they're known for, and the one I've got is a limited edition singlecut version. @iaresee also recently got a semi-hollow 594 and he's over the moon with it last I read.

So what attracted you to the 335?

I'm greedy and need one of everything. ;)

Maybe that's a joke, and it might also be partially true. I don't really have a main player and tend
to play in different moods and like to strive for different ends. Therefore I like changing up the
means to approach those ends. I just find my tastes so varied, and I like getting as close as I can
to the ideal means to approach whatever I am striving for.

Oh, and nothing does the harmonic feedback like a 335. Nothing. :) I love the interaction where you
can feel the resonance of a 335 being transmitted from the guitar to your own torso when you
work with that kind of feedback. Every note and chord just seems to have more life and bounce to it.
Some think it is a bad thing (and maybe is if you don't know how to harness the beast). For me that is
part of the allure of a 335. At higher volumes on a stage you better know how to ride it or it is gonna
ride you. :)

I'm also 6' 3" and a Les Paul (and god forbid a Jaguar!!!) can look a little odd on me. Jazzmasters
and 335s don't make me look like a Giant on stage. :)

Funny story related to that is me being let go from a gig backing up a singer-songwriter 4 years
ago because the guy's girlfriend said I made him look too small on stage. I think I just looked
to tall. I was a tad bummed because musically we had it going on. Now I think it is funny and
know those concerns are very real about "appearance" when it comes to the stage.

I have an Epi ES-339 that I use for all my "I need one guitar that can cover any style" gigs.

When I take a breather from buying new camera gear, I want to pick up a PRS HBII Piezo to take over that role.

I have a wonderful 339!

Since these guys have already brought up the 339, I can drop this into the thread guilt-free! 2009 from Memphis... :)

YC70Bo2.jpg

You guys and your name brands.

2003 Austin Session Master. "What the feck is an Austin?" Doesn't matter, if you listen with your ears and feel with your hands. ;)

Austin AU796CH Session Master (serial no. N3C1000193).IMG_2506.JPG

Boy, I was reminded last night that swapping guitars and usi9ng the same presets
can be a rough way to go. I need to work on some 335 specific tones/presets as
the ones I had dialed in to work with a PRS 245 and Charvel were NOT working for
me last night.

335s are surprisingly airy and have a lot of bite to them. Folks assume they are
dark (and they can be with tone rolloff on the neck pickup), but mine is significantly
brighter than Les Pauls I have owned or the 245 I have now.

Last edited:
Boy, I was reminded last night that swapping guitars and usi9ng the same presets
can be a rough way to go. I need to work on some 335 specific tones/presets as
the ones I had dialed in to work with a PRS 245 and Charvel were NOT working for
me last night.

335s are surprisingly airy and have a lot of bite to them. Folks assume they are
dark (and they can be with tone rolloff on the neck pickup), but mine is significantly
brighter than Les Pauls I have owned or the 245 I have now.
It's sure easier to dial in your tone. Yes, I think they have a very broad tonal range. My bridge p/u gets way to spanky for me really easy (maybe if I was more into Country-old school not the current Pop Country :p )

I'm also 6' 3" and a Les Paul (and god forbid a Jaguar!!!) can look a little odd on me. Jazzmasters
and 335s don't make me look like a Giant on stage. :)

Funny story related to that is me being let go from a gig backing up a singer-songwriter 4 years
ago because the guy's girlfriend said I made him look too small on stage. I think I just looked
to tall. I was a tad bummed because musically we had it going on. Now I think it is funny and
know those concerns are very real about "appearance" when it comes to the stage.
Read an interview in a guitar magazine a long time ago with Gene Simmons. They asked why he played bass with Kiss instead of guitar.

He said it was because of his height, onstage it looks better if the bassist is the tallest. (Paraphrased, of course. )

Sorry, I know I'm posting a lot in this thread, but it hits close to home.

Anyway, just finished practicing (with the 335), that and seeing y'all post your own...just gotta say it's a sexy beast!

One other thing I appreciate about it is there is zero neck dive (very annoying with some guitars).

can be a rough way to go.
Totally - I've got a few I worked out with one guitar that sound really different (usually awful) with another. All of mine are quite different, so it shouldn't really be that surprising, but for some reason, it was.

Totally - I've got a few I worked out with one guitar that sound really different (usually awful) with another. All of mine are quite different, so it shouldn't really be that surprising, but for some reason, it was.

The bummer is all the tweaking it requires. The joy is in discovering how good this all sounds. Again. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom