Any 335'ers Up In Here??

A todo item for me is to spend some time with a PRS, only really played them briefly in stores, and most people really like them. I keep eyeing one on Craigslist locally, should just buy it and see how that goes.
I recommend serious players look at the PRS S2 series guitars along with the core series. I played several and was really impressed with them. My core PRS are great playing but sometimes they’re embarrassingly pretty and I don’t want to take them out, but I get over it once the music starts.

I know there's factory presets, but if he made his own preset for his 335, he'd know pretty quick if it was a close vs distant comparison.
My approach is so minimalist there's really no preset to write home about.

My methodology is to find an amp I like (suggestions are several Fender models, Tucana, Shiva). More than likely the amp caught my ear through exploring factory presets. Then just turn everything off except for compression, amp, cab, reverb. All I really adjust are BMT on the amp.

I find most "normal" presets are written to showcase an amp (i.e., Tucana and Shiva) so selected cab and IR are usually just fine. Also compression and reverb aren't anything crazy.

The goal is to hear as much of the guitar as possible (I don't really like the reverb up too much). The guitar and amp/cab get you like 99% there.

Last edited:
My approach so minimalist there's really no preset to write home about.

My methodology is to find an amp I like (suggestions are several Fender models, Tucana, Shiva). More than likely the amp caught my ear through exploring factory presets. Then just turn everything off except for compression, amp, cab, reverb. All I really adjust are BMT on the amp.

I find most "normal" presets are written to showcase an amp (i.e., Tucana and Shiva) so selected cab and IR are usually just fine. Also compression and reverb aren't anything crazy.

The goal is to hear as much of the guitar as possible (I don't really like the reverb up too much). The guitar and amp/cab get you like 99% there.
This.

So, in keeping with this tangent of jazz tone...

Never judge an amp by it's (or the preset's name). I just discovered the Swart Atomic Space Tone amp. The preset is named Nuclear Tone. I had ignored this preset, wrongly assuming it was for metal (sadly mistaken).

Anyway, I suggest checking out two scenes: Cleaner (use comp, amp/cab, and reverb) and Cleaner Dry (use comp and amp/cab). EDIT: I should've noted you can select either scene, it's just a matter of toggling reverb on/off once comp is the only other block on.

The default reverb is too much for my taste, so I lowered it to 5%. You're going to get some breakup with HBs, so consider lowering the input drive to 0.5. I normally like these tones really clean, however I am tempted to keep the input drive at 1.0 with this amp. Use the neck p/u, volume up and tone back. Sweet (at least to my ears). I didn't adjust any other default amp settings (i.e., BMT).

And that's an example of how I would develop a jazz tone preset.

Last edited:
I use a Collings i30 full hollow and a Tom Andersom Hollow Cobra S which is more of a chambered / semi hollow. Both sound great on the FMIII and the Axe III

I have to admit there are some great tones to be had from a 335 but I can't get over the horrible plywood construction and awful acoustic tone. a friend of mine has a 339 that I refreted for him and I could not play it past the 15th fret the access is ridiculous . That sounded good too though .

I have to admit there are some great tones to be had from a 335 but I can't get over the horrible plywood construction and awful acoustic tone. a friend of mine has a 339 that I refreted for him and I could not play it past the 15th fret the access is ridiculous . That sounded good too though .
Are you using a cheap knock off 335? Mine sounds and plays awesome and construction is solid.

Are you using a cheap knock off 335? Mine sounds and plays awesome and construction is solid.
No the garbage construction is Gibson and the unplugged tone is terrible. Take a look inside and you will be horrified . if you want to see how it should be take a look at a Collings i35. That said though they sound good plugged in and are responsible for some great music in a variety of genres. This is based on custom shop and vintage guitars right back to when it came out, I work on them regularly.

I think the number-one goal for the 335 was feedback reduction. Deaden the body, and you can amplify where full archtops fear to tread.

That said, I'll take the 335's construction any day over most of the early Gretsches I've seen. They're like your carpenter grandpa said, "I should try my hand at building Junior a guitar. It can't be too tricky."

No the garbage construction is Gibson and the unplugged tone is terrible. Take a look inside and you will be horrified . if you want to see how it should be take a look at a Collings i35. That said though they sound good plugged in and are responsible for some great music in a variety of genres. This is based on custom shop and vintage guitars right back to when it came out, I work on them regularly.
I have a no-name Korean 335 from around 1999. It's awesome.

PRS hollowbodies (McCarty and McCarty 594) work great with the Axe Fx or any amp. The way the top is carved and bridge braced keeps them from feeding back excessively, but the hollow body elsewhere make them resonant and alive. I love them!

0437C881-8C5D-4D2A-AAD8-2DBCF632DB48.jpeg
BB280A8F-41BE-4663-9DD9-92938DFBB17C.jpeg

F21329DD-4826-4CF2-BA76-1C213C4C63DD.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the number-one goal for the 335 was feedback reduction. Deaden the body, and you can amplify where full archtops fear to tread.

That said, I'll take the 335's construction any day over most of the early Gretsches I've seen. They're like your carpenter grandpa said, "I should try my hand at building Junior a guitar. It can't be too tricky."
Yes, if you find a vintage Gretsch with the neck on straight you have found a good one.:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Rex
Boy, I was reminded last night that swapping guitars and usi9ng the same presets
can be a rough way to go. I need to work on some 335 specific tones/presets as
the ones I had dialed in to work with a PRS 245 and Charvel were NOT working for
me last night.

335s are surprisingly airy and have a lot of bite to them. Folks assume they are
dark (and they can be with tone rolloff on the neck pickup), but mine is significantly
brighter than Les Pauls I have owned or the 245 I have now.
Mine is also brighter. Between its natural sound and the coil-taps it covers Strat tones well, and when I roll the volume up all the way it gets pretty thick and dark once the acoustic-coupling kicks in. It’s just a matter of me picking the sound I want because it’s happy to do it.

Back
Top Bottom