Announcing AxeCapture: A plugin to save Axe-FX presets in your DAW project.

Very useful utility! Thank you very much for sharing it. I am already using it on my Cakewalk projects.

It would be interesting to also save the User-Cabs with the preset, or at least the names of the User-Cabs that were used.

How do you use the librarian feature to tag and add comments to the presets? I see it at the video, but I cannot open it.

The Librarian demonstrated in the video is the plugin preset feature of Cubase. As I mention in the video, different DAWs handle plugin presets in different ways. With Cubase, you can tag your Axe-FX presets and attach notes and comments to them, but most DAWs will at least have the ability to organize your Axe-FX presets into folders.

Amazing Glenn. Youda man. When FW version does not match version when saved, I assume same behaviour if I go into Fractal bot and load from an older version?

Looks like a great tool !

Im trying to get this working in Reaper with a FM9, but get a "No connection" error. I cant see any documentation that shows whats needed to be setup in the DAW/PC.

Ive got FM9Edit running (v1.01.08) as I assume thats needed from the youtube video - do I need to open Midis ports or anything to the FM9 in the DAW?- or does it go through FM9 Edit to get the presets, etc?

Update - Ive tried it in the same Reaper installation with AXEFX III (with Axe-Edit III running v1.13.02) and it does work ok, so looks like a FM9 compatability issue rather than a Reaper config issue.

1687608252284.png

Last edited:
Looks like a great tool !

Im trying to get this working in Reaper with a FM9, but get a "No connection" error. I cant see any documentation that shows whats needed to be setup in the DAW/PC.
No setup is required, other than connecting the computer and FM9 with a usb cable. It's not necessary to run FM9-Edit. FM9 support was added in version 1.0.6, so make sure you're running the latest version. Otherwise, following the instructions in the error message should clear up the problem.

wow - this is a FANTASTIC idea - I've been jotting down preset details in the notes tab in Cubase, but this is so much better. Hitting the road for a few weeks, but will give it a run when I'm back and into recording again.

Also kudos on the graphics - I see you've got a few other plugins as well and they all have a cool steam-punk/retro-analogue style to them.

Thanks! Have followed your facebook page ;)

Just a side note, is there a way to enable controls without the steampunk UI?

View attachment 121929
It feels like a steampunk aesthetic is one of the only things graphic AI tools can currently generate "reasonably" well, and it's a bit of a bummer that so many useful tools these days tend to look they were made by the same person. But hey, if steampunk is your thing, you're in luck!

Sarcasm aside, this seems like a great tool for the at-home producer type, but in my experience it's worth noting:

Exporting preset+cab bundles and saving them inside your session folder requires no additional software, will suredly be supported long after any major DAW or system upgrades (so long as Fractal continues to support the file type), and are far easier to share with collaborators familiar with the platform. This plug-in looks like a really convenient tool, but I'd think twice about using it as a replacement for proper archiving.

If you care, that is. ¯\(ツ)

Last edited:
Also kudos on the graphics - I see you've got a few other plugins as well and they all have a cool steam-punk/retro-analogue style to them.

Yes, the GUI's are not for everybody and I'm aware they buck the trend towards flat graphics, but it's important to me that a GUI be visually interesting.

As for anybody who questions my willingness or ability to support my plugins, I would refer you to the plugins I've written in the past 20 years, all of which are widely used in music and film projects to this day. And for anybody who overlooked the use case this particular plugin is intended for, please see the first post in this thread, where it is described in detail.

Thanks so much for this, @GlennO . I've been wanting this kind of interoperability ever since I started recording in-the-box. The preset save and organization feature is a great addition to just getting back the session preset. Not least: I love the UI and the simple usage. Your generosity is very much appreciated.
Best,
Andrew

P.S. great to see Crystal is still around. I put some quite some hours into that.
P.P.S. I'm using FM9 and it's working just fine. Rhyme unintentional, but I'm leaving it in.

I used the plugin this weekend for the first time with Logic Pro.

So I added it to each track, selected the appropriate preset and scene on my III and pressed Catch.
Now, when I press Release, the III recalls those settings for that track.

This works great, especially as I was doing a "compare amps" session, with 78 tracks (!) corresponding to different presets and scenes.

Notes / Questions:
1. Make sure to unlink global blocks in the preset before "catching".
2. Make sure to use the correct AxeCapture window for the track or you'll be saving wrong data.
3. @GlennO : I can click on the three green buttons and they change color, but they don't do anything, correct?
4. How do I add the plugin to a track in Logic automatically, or to multiple tracks in one go? (selecting multiple tracks didn't work)
5. The file browser doesn't appear when I click the name.

Last edited:
I used the plugin this weekend for the first time with Logic Pro.

So I added it to each track, selected the appropriate preset and scene on my III and pressed Catch.
Now, when I press Release, the III recalls those preset and scene settings for that track.

This works great, especially as I was doing a "compare amps" session, with 78 tracks (!) corresponding to different presets and scenes.

Notes / Questions:
1. Make sure to unlink global blocks in the preset before "catching".
2. Make sure to use the correct AxeCapture window for the track or you'll be saving wrong data.
3. @GlennO : I can click on the three green buttons and they change color, but they don't do anything, correct?
That's right. They're just passive indicators that the connection to the Axe-FX is active.

4. How do I add the plugin to a track in Logic automatically, or to multiple tracks in one go? (selecting multiple tracks didn't work)

You can do that multi-track insert trick in Cubase, but AFAIK not in Logic. I suppose there are various strategies for that, but the way I work is I keep a few tracks in my project that serve as templates. They contain any plugins I might commonly want in a track. When I add a new track I duplicate one of those template tracks instead of using "New Audio Track". If I want 10 new tracks, I select one of the template tracks and hit cmd-D 10 times. Is that what you mean by "automatic"?

Reactions: yek
Bumping this. Are there any FM9 owners out there who are doing recording and would be willing to test AxeCapture?
I've tried it in Cubase with my FM9 but it hasn't worked - I get the error message saying
"No connection. Restart both AxeEdit and your DAW"

I've tried it in Cubase with my FM9 but it hasn't worked - I get the error message saying
"No connection. Restart both AxeEdit and your DAW"

I updated it to version 1.0.6 a while back which added support for the FM9, so make sure you're using the latest version. If that doesn't work, PM me with the details.

5. The file browser doesn't appear when I click the name.

Are you referring to this bit here where I'm browsing presets? That's a feature of the DAW, not the plugin. I'm clicking on the preset name at the top of the plugin window above the plugin UI. Different DAWs will have different capabilities. I'm using Cubase in the video, but in Logic you can save presets and organize them into categories.

Aha, can't find where / how to organize the embedded presets info in Logic, but that's me, I'm not really a frequent user.

Back
Top Bottom