Announcing AxeCapture: A plugin to save Axe-FX presets in your DAW project.

Hi @GlennO - will the VST need updating as Fractal firmwares get updated/evolve? If so is there a way the VST can check if its the latest version?

Aha, can't find where / how to organize the embedded presets info in Logic, but that's me, I'm not really a frequent user.

After you do a "Catch", click on Logic's preset menu at the top of the plugin window. Choose "Save as...", click on "New Folder", give the folder a name, and save your preset in that folder. Now when you pop up the preset menu, you'll see submenus for any folders you've created. Choose a preset from that menu and click on "Release" to load it into your Axe-FX.

It's a handy way to organize your presets into folders. Other DAWs have even more features. For example in Cubase you can give your presets tags and notes.

Oh, one other thing about plugin presets: if you ever need to reorganize your presets, go to ~/Library/Audio/Presets (using opt-click on the Finder Go menu to select the Library folder). From there, you'll have access to the Logic plugin preset files and you can reorganize your presets by simply moving the files around.

Hi Glenn, unfortunately AxeCapture doesn't work here, telling "No connection - restart Axe Edit and DAW". I've done this several times, restartet the PC, checked all connections - still the same error. The system here is Win Pro 22H2, Cubase 12.07.00, AxeFX FW22.01, Axe-Edit 1.13.03.

Axe-Edit and Fractal-Bot are connecting fine to the Axe, recording and reamping with the Axe is pure fun - everything is working fine except AxeCapture. And it would be so cool to use it ...

Do you got any idea to solve this issue, please?

It's working fine here and I haven't seen any reports of problems. I'll send you a PM with questions.

Just here for pushing a little bit the plugin's FM3 development!
FM3 users don't be shy! I know that you're using it also for recording purpose!

Staring I See You GIF by QuikTrip

Hi Glenn, unfortunately AxeCapture doesn't work here, telling "No connection - restart Axe Edit and DAW". I've done this several times, restartet the PC, checked all connections - still the same error. The system here is Win Pro 22H2, Cubase 12.07.00, AxeFX FW22.01, Axe-Edit 1.13.03.

Axe-Edit and Fractal-Bot are connecting fine to the Axe, recording and reamping with the Axe is pure fun - everything is working fine except AxeCapture. And it would be so cool to use it ...

Do you got any idea to solve this issue, please?
SOLVED! Just found a solution for this problem: Here the option "Use Device WinRT MIDI" in the "Studio Setup > Midi connection setup" menu has to be activated to run AxeCapture poperly. I'm really happy now - what a usefull plugin!!!

Another vote to get this working for the FM3.
I currently jot notes down on the tracks in Reaper, but not the best as presets gets moved/changed/deleted over time.
This tool would be perfect and I believe there are a lot of users recording with their FM3's.

This plug in looks fantastic! Is the WinRT MIDI option only available in Cubase 12? I can't seem to find it and I'm using Cubase 10.5 Pro. The plugin is saying No Connection. Restart DAW and Axe Edit. Tried this and got same result. Any help would be awesome.

This plug in looks fantastic! Is the WinRT MIDI option only available in Cubase 12? I can't seem to find it and I'm using Cubase 10.5 Pro. The plugin is saying No Connection. Restart DAW and Axe Edit. Tried this and got same result. Any help would be awesome.

Sorry, on Windows, the only version of Cubase I've tested is 12. Is this with an Axe-FX III?

One problem with recording an outboard modeler like an AxeFX is keeping track of what preset was used on each track in a song. This is important if you need to come back later to record a new take or punch in or overdub a track and you want to use the same preset that was originally used.

Manual schemes to handle this problem like saving the .syx file with the name of the track fall apart when tracks get renamed, deleted, or when you do anything that makes it difficult to determine which preset file goes with which track.

A better solution is needed, so I wrote a plugin, AxeCapture, to help with this issue. Using AxeCapture, you can save the AxeFX preset in your DAW project. That way you can resume work on the song at a later date, open the plugin for a particular track and, with the press of a button, load that preset back into the AxeFX and record your punch-in or overdub with the same preset that was used when originally recording the track.

Watch this video to learn how to use AxeCapture:

Get the free AxeCapture plugin (for Axe-FX III and FM9) here:

https://www.greenoak.com

Important note before you download it: For best results, use with Axe-Edit version 1.13 or newer. Many thanks to Michael Pickens for fixing a compatibility problem in Axe-Edit.

Note to Windows Cubase users: if you have trouble connecting AxeCapture to your Axe-FX, turn on the Studio Setup -> MIDI Port Setup -> Use Device 'WinRT MIDI' option in Cubase.

Anticipating a “what about”: firmware updates since the track was recorded shouldn’t be a concern. AxeCapture is intended to allow you to come back tomorrow or next week, while you’re still actively working on the project, and record a punch-in or new take with the same preset. Over a short time span like that, you won’t have to worry about a firmware update changing your tone. It is not intended to save your work for posterity so you can resume work on your project some time in the distant future. If you do that, the preset may or may not sound the same due to firmware changes.

If you find problems, send me the details in a private message and I'll be happy to look into it.

Great tool. Could it work with fm3 you think? Anyway will give it a try tomorrow

Wow, sorry I missed this when introduced! Awesome job Glenn!! Thanks for your efforts in making our lives a bit easier!!!

Trying to get the plugin working on Windows with Ableton 11.2, Axe FX III and Axe Edit 1.13.03. Seeing the "No connection. Restart both AxeEdit and your DAW". Is there a similar MIDI config like that Cubase one that worked above?

Back
Top Bottom