Announcing AxeCapture: A plugin to save Axe-FX presets in your DAW project.

Oh ok, that sounds like the same problem Pete reported above with a limitation of Windows MIDI. If the DAW is using the midi port, it's unavailable to plugins. This has been fixed in the new windows midi api, WinRT MIDI, but I'm not sure if Reaper supports that yet (WinRT also adds support for bluetooth midi devices). You can check with Cockos to see if there's a way to use WinRT midi. Otherwise, if you haven't already tried this, you might try enabling the FM9 output midi device Reaper preference, but disabling the FM9 input midi device (You may have to restart Reaper after doing that).
Ah, looking back in the thread it seems it is. Thanks for the help, suggestions, and possibly my favorite plug-in. I looked at my settings and the FM9 MIDI in was not enabled. Meanwhile, I just went the MIDI cable route. I'll study up on the WinRT MIDI and see if I, or Cockos, can make that work at some point.
Best,
Andrew

HI Glenn,

I've happily been using AxeCapture since you released it on June. Now I am getting the message "No Connection. Restart both AxeEdit and your DAW" whenever a try to do a new capture or to release an existing capture from my existing projects.

I've restarted both things several times. Axe-Edit is communicating.

I haven't made any hardware or software changes since last time I used it two days ago. Cakewalk Bandlab. Windows 10. Axe-FX FW 23.00 Beta#4

@Piing, That's the message I was also getting when I had my DAW sending MIDI clock over USB. Is something in Cakewalk (or elsewhere) using the USB MIDI Out to your AxeFX?

HI Glenn,

I've happily been using AxeCapture since you released it on June. Now I am getting the message "No Connection. Restart both AxeEdit and your DAW" whenever a try to do a new capture or to release an existing capture from my existing projects.

I've restarted both things several times. Axe-Edit is communicating.

I haven't made any hardware or software changes since last time I used it two days ago. Cakewalk Bandlab. Windows 10. Axe-FX FW 23.00 Beta#4

Go to Preferences -> MIDI -> Playback and Recording, and make sure UWP is selected for the driver mode. That's the new Windows MIDI API. Alternatively, like Androo says, go to Preferences -> MIDI -> Devices and turn off the Axe-FX for both input and output. You may have to restart Cakewalk after you do that.

Go to Preferences -> MIDI -> Playback and Recording, and make sure UWP is selected for the driver mode. That's the new Windows MIDI API. Alternatively, like Androo says, go to Preferences -> MIDI -> Devices and turn off the Axe-FX for both input and output. You may have to restart Cakewalk after you do that.

Issue solved activating UWP.

It has always been working under MME, but it did stop working when I had 12 instances of AxeCapture running on different tracks.

Thank you! 👍👍👍

I’m temped to try this, but midi in windows is such a delicate balance. Adding midi connections sometimes causes other midi devices to disconnect Permanently. I’ve been bit hard by this in the past, it was always related to drivers. Work around was making a new windows user profile entirely which REALLY sucks. I really need my faderport to work, and right now thank god it’s working.

I’m temped to try this, but midi in windows is such a delicate balance. Adding midi connections sometimes causes other midi devices to disconnect Permanently. I’ve been bit hard by this in the past, it was always related to drivers. Work around was making a new windows user profile entirely which REALLY sucks. I really need my faderport to work, and right now thank god it’s working.
This is a thing, unfortunately. The problem is that there are a finite number of midi devices "slots" in Windows, and it doesn't release them when it should, or always recognize the same device as the same device, so it adds it again, eating another slot.

There are some less drastic workarounds than a whole new user profile, but I've been playing guitar instead of wrestling with this bs for long enough now that I don't remember them. I may be able to dig them up if you need me too, or @GlennO may have a whole quiver of them handy.

Having been away from that stuff for a while, and needing to replace my music computer with one that can run a more recent OS than win 7, I've been quietly hoping this crap would be gone in whatever OS I end up with. You're not giving me lots of hope on that count though ;)

This is a thing, unfortunately. The problem is that there are a finite number of midi devices "slots" in Windows, and it doesn't release them when it should, or always recognize the same device as the same device, so it adds it again, eating another slot.

There are some less drastic workarounds than a whole new user profile, but I've been playing guitar instead of wrestling with this bs for long enough now that I don't remember them. I may be able to dig them up if you need me too, or @GlennO may have a whole quiver of them handy.

Having been away from that stuff for a while, and needing to replace my music computer with one that can run a more recent OS than win 7, I've been quietly hoping this crap would be gone in whatever OS I end up with. You're not giving me lots of hope on that count though ;)
I think one work around after rather exhausting testing was a korg app that detects and allows the removal of midi drivers. I had a lot that were useless or no longer needed. Cleaning them up brought my faderport back, but after a lot of trial and error. I’m not convinced midi drivers do not cause conflicts between one another. The short of it: neither windows or Apple care enough about us to fix any of this. We are far too small a market segment to even register on their radar so all we really have is one another.

MIDI has traditionally been a weak point of Windows, but Windows 10 added a new MIDI system and it works much better than the old one. Most DAWs on Windows have a way to. select the improved system (UWP or WinRT MIDI).

MIDI has traditionally been a weak point of Windows, but Windows 10 added a new MIDI system and it works much better than the old one. Most DAWs on Windows have a way to. select the improved system (UWP or WinRT MIDI).
any ideas how to tweak studio one without risking 3 days of downtime? Right now, everything works. I really want to try this plugin, too.

any ideas how to tweak studio one without risking 3 days of downtime? Right now, everything works. I really want to try this plugin, too.
Just try it. It will either work or it won’t. If you need to send midi clock to your Axe-FX, then you'll need to use UWP MIDI. Otherwise it should work fine. I haven't seen any reports of anyone who hasn't been able to get it to work.

Totally aside from AxeCapture, I’d recommend using UWP for MIDI on Windows. Most Windows DAWs have an option to select that. The older Windows MIDI API has a lot of problems.

Last edited:
Woah, this is a game changer for me. Thank you for this!

I used Crystal back in the day and see it's still available but only for iOS now? Is there an updated version for MacOS Sonoma that I'm missing?

I've stumbled upon this thread by chance and added it to reaper right now.

Great tool !
Now theres no need to remmber myself to edit the project properties with used preset and scene for each track....and...like most times....forget it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom