Announcing AxeCapture: A plugin to save Axe-FX presets in your DAW project.

Hi GlennO. Awesome plugin. Just found it and already using it!
On your video tutorial i noticed another tool "Axe Re Amp". Is that something that will be available or is it private ?

Also, what is the green buttons about? You can turn them on/off

Thank you so much

Hi GlennO. Awesome plugin. Just found it and already using it!
On your video tutorial i noticed another tool "Axe Re Amp". Is that something that will be available or is it private ?
Sorry, I'm not sure. What is the timestamp in the video where you see that?

Also, what is the green buttons about? You can turn them on/off

The green lights are just indicators that illuminate when AxeCapture is connected to your Axe-FX.

Sorry, I'm not sure. What is the timestamp in the video where you see that?

The green lights are just indicators that illuminate when AxeCapture is connected to your Axe-FX.
At 2:54 mins. When you add the Capture plugin. In Tools, under Axe Capture you have a Axe Fx Reamp plugin

Ahh, I see. That's not a plugin, it's a Cubase external effect that I use for reamping. External Effects allow you to treat outboard gear as a plugin.

At 2:54 mins. When you add the Capture plugin. In Tools, under Axe Capture you have a Axe Fx Reamp plugin
Good catch.

Ahh, I see. That's not a plugin, it's a Cubase external effect that I use for reamping. External Effects allow you to treat outboard gear as a plugin.
Ah, got it! Did you just rename the External FX plugin? I'm not a Cubase owner but use it occasionally in studios so it could help when I'm there.

The way it works in Cubase is you define your External Effects as part of the project I/O setup. When you create an External Effect, you configure the I/O for it and give it a name and then it shows up in your plugin list. That's different than how it works in other DAWs. For example in Studio One there is only one Pipeline plugin and you define the I/O in the plugin. There are pros and cons to each approach.

The way it works in Cubase is you define your External Effects as part of the project I/O setup. When you create an External Effect, you configure the I/O for it and give it a name and then it shows up in your plugin list. That's different than how it works in other DAWs. For example in Studio One there is only one Pipeline plugin and you define the I/O in the plugin. There are pros and cons to each approach.
I wonder if it is possible to have a plugin do the whole reamp setup.. change axe setup i/o configs for reamp when active and restore when we disable the plugin. Also do the i/o step from your reamp video..
Pretty much a plugin that would make it easier/practical ..

Would that even be possible?

Yes, it's possible.

I'd like to see FAS offer a plugin that you drop in to a DI track, routes the DI audio to the Axe-FX, aligns the audio properly, and has one button to press to configure the Axe-FX to take input from the plugin. That would streamline the re-amping process and help make the Axe-FX almost as convenient as an amp modeler plugin. Nobody else has anything like that, so it would help set the Axe-FX apart from other modelers.

I've said this before, but IMHO, it's user experience enhancements like this that will set the top modelers apart in the years to come. We've gone about as far as we can go with amp modeling fidelity, and adding more models when you already have more than 300 is an exercise in diminishing returns. Updates with amp modeling enhancements barely get any attention these days. OTOH, there are many opportunities for new, unique, and differentiating features in the area of user experience. I think DynaCabs is a good example and that might that indicate a change in priorities at FAS.

I just moved to the FAS ecosystem with an FM3 Mk II Turbo, after years in Helix land, where Helix Native makes getting one's personal tones so seamless when in the DAW.

Here's another vote for support for the FM3. I really hope this works out!

Hi GlennO!
I've been using this plugin a lot with a project for the past couple of weeks. Absolutely loving it's workflow! An issue I'm running into is when I'm using it in Pro Tools (v2023.12.1) once I have the plugin inserted, I can't seem to move it around or I will just get a pinwheel. Doesn't seem to happen with any other plugin at the moment just Axe Capture. Not sure what DAW you're using this is but wondering if you have a similar issue. I'm using MacOS 13.6.3 if that helps.
Thanks again!

I have the "No connection" error again when opening an existing capture on Cakewalk
  • MIDI driver mode is set to UWP
  • Axe-FX III MIDI In and Out are disabled

I have the "No connection" error again when opening an existing capture on Cakewalk
  • MIDI driver mode is set to UWP
  • Axe-FX III MIDI In and Out are disabled

Are you sure you have a good usb connection to your Axe-FX? If so, and if you've followed the instructions in the error message, check to make sure Cakewalk sees your Axe-FX as an available midi device.

Are you sure you have a good usb connection to your Axe-FX? If so, and if you've followed the instructions in the error message, check to make sure Cakewalk sees your Axe-FX as an available midi device.
Yes, the USB connection is good. I've tried two high-quality cables. Cakewalk also sees the Axe-FX as MIDI device.

It works to capture presets, and these newly captured presets can be restored. It doesn't work with presets previously captured. Could that be because these presets used an older FW version?

1709885051992.png

1709885102158.png

Last edited:
Yes, the USB connection is good. I've tried two high-quality cables. Cakewalk also sees the Axe-FX as MIDI device.

It works to capture presets, and these newly captured presets can be restored. It doesn't work with presets previously captured. Could that be because these presets used an older FW version?

I just tried reloading a session from a year ago, made with firmware 22.00, and it worked fine with the firmware I'm running today, 24.05. I was able to open that old session with Axe-Capture containing a preset created with 22.00 and successfully send the preset from that session to my Axe-FX running 24.05. That said, as it says in the OP, Axe-Capture is not intended to be used to archive presets for use in the distant future across firmware updates. Anyway, I'll work with you offline to try to troubleshoot this.

Back
Top Bottom