Announcing AxeCapture: A plugin to save Axe-FX presets in your DAW project.

GlennO

Axe-Master
One problem with recording an outboard modeler like an AxeFX is keeping track of what preset was used on each track in a song. This is important if you need to come back later to record a new take or punch in or overdub a track and you want to use the same preset that was originally used.

Manual schemes to handle this problem like saving the .syx file with the name of the track fall apart when tracks get renamed, deleted, or when you do anything that makes it difficult to determine which preset file goes with which track.

A better solution is needed, so I wrote a plugin, AxeCapture, to help with this issue. Using AxeCapture, you can save the AxeFX preset in your DAW project. That way you can resume work on the song at a later date, open the plugin for a particular track and, with the press of a button, load that preset back into the AxeFX and record your punch-in or overdub with the same preset that was used when originally recording the track.

Watch this video to learn how to use AxeCapture:

Get the free AxeCapture plugin (for Axe-FX III and FM9) here:

https://www.greenoak.com

Important note before you download it: For best results, use with Axe-Edit version 1.13 or newer. Many thanks to Michael Pickens for fixing a compatibility problem in Axe-Edit.

Note to Windows Cubase users: if you have trouble connecting AxeCapture to your Axe-FX, turn on the Studio Setup -> MIDI Port Setup -> Use Device 'WinRT MIDI' option in Cubase.

Note to Windows Ableton Live users: if you have trouble connecting AxeCapture to your Axe-FX, go to Live Preferences -> MIDI and turn off "Track" for the Axe-FX III (or FM9) MIDI Input and Output devices.

Anticipating a “what about”: firmware updates since the track was recorded shouldn’t be a concern. AxeCapture is intended to allow you to come back tomorrow or next week, while you’re still actively working on the project, and record a punch-in or new take with the same preset. Over a short time span like that, you won’t have to worry about a firmware update changing your tone. It is not intended to save your work for posterity so you can resume work on your project some time in the distant future. If you do that, the preset may or may not sound the same due to firmware changes.

If you find problems, send me the details in a private message and I'll be happy to look into it.

Last edited:
Genius! I was recording in Logic last night thinking, "I'd better make notes of which presets I'm using before I forget."
But yeah... didn't end up taking those notes

Awesome idea, when I was recording original music a few years back I definitely ran into this scenario all the time (without having a real solution).

Thanks a lot! I was thinking of creating the same VST after we discussed it in a previous thread...
Easier said than done, you're the man! thanks!

EDIT:
tried with FM3 with no success... is it intended for axe-fx III only?

Last edited:
This is amazing! I will be using this for sure. Does it happen to work with FM3/FM9 Edit?

Forgot to mention: I've been using this with an Axe-FX III, but it should also work on an FM9. Is there a FM9 owner out there who'd be willing to give it a try and let me know if it works for them? It will not work with an FM3, sorry.

Forgot to mention: I've been using this with an Axe-FX III, but it should also work on an FM9. Is there a FM9 owner out there who'd be willing to give it a try and let me know if it works for them? It will not work with an FM3, sorry.
I’ll try with FM9 as soon as I have it set up with the III

One problem with recording an outboard modeler like an AxeFX is keeping track of what preset was used on each track in a song. This is important if you need to come back later to record a new take or punch in or overdub a track and you want to use the same preset that was originally used.

Manual schemes to handle this problem like saving the .syx file with the name of the track fall apart when tracks get renamed, deleted, or when you do anything that makes it difficult to determine which preset file goes with which track.

A better solution is needed, so I wrote a plugin, AxeCapture, to help with this issue. Using AxeCapture, you can save the AxeFX preset in your DAW project. That way you can resume work on the song at a later date, open the plugin for a particular track and, with the press of a button, load that preset back into the AxeFX and record your punch-in or overdub with the same preset that was used when originally recording the track.

Watch this video to learn how to use AxeCapture:

Get the free AxeCapture plugin here:

https://www.greenoak.com

Important note before you download it: For best results, use with Axe-Edit version 1.13 or newer. Many thanks to Michael Pickens for fixing a compatibility problem in Axe-Edit.

Anticipating a “what about”: firmware updates since the track was recorded shouldn’t be a concern. AxeCapture is intended to allow you to come back tomorrow or next week, while you’re still actively working on the project, and record a punch-in or new take with the same preset. Over a short time span like that, you won’t have to worry about a firmware update changing your tone. It is not intended to save your work for posterity so you can resume work on your project some time in the distant future. If you do that, the preset may or may not sound the same due to firmware changes.

If you find problems, send me the details in a private message and I'll be happy to look into it.

Glenn, this is so awesome. Thank you for sharing this!

Wonderful, thank you!
Green Oak rules again.

When it's worth the trouble, we could save a copy of the firmware we used too, right? Then as long as you have the same hardware, and any vsts involved haven't changed too much, you should be able to get back the entire state of the project, even much later.

Understood, and it's not something you have build into your tool, as long as the DAW can store arbitrary files in a project.

Why not also store what firmware you were running at the time, that way you COULD at least load old firmware manually be exactly where you were when you recorded, no matter how far in the future?

Great job
So what happens when i load a project using this plugin? Does it send the embedded preset to the AxeFx's edit buffer?
Does it bundle the irs used by the preset?
If the AxeFx's firmware has changed since i used the preset, what happens?

Why not also store what firmware you were running at the time, that way you COULD at least load old firmware manually be exactly where you were when you recorded, no matter how far in the future?

I did that in an earlier version, but I removed it because that query has a side effect that could potentially impact Axe-Edit. IMHO, that's not the right way to do it anyway. The info about the firmware version in use when the preset was created should be embedded directly in the preset itself. That way it could be displayed in Axe-Edit (or the Axe-FX), regardless of how it was loaded into the Axe-FX. Also, that would permit the Axe-FX to present sensible warnings about version mismatches.

I did that in an earlier version, but I removed it because that query has a side effect that could potentially impact Axe-Edit. IMHO, that's not the right way to do it anyway. The info about the firmware version in use when the preset was created should be embedded directly in the preset itself. That way it could be displayed in Axe-Edit (or the Axe-FX), regardless of how it was loaded into the Axe-FX. Also, that would permit the Axe-FX to present sensible warnings about version mismatches.
I thought firmware version was already included in each preset. Isn't that how presets built with a later version than you're currently running know to not be displayed?

It might not be in a human-friendly form, but it must be in there.

Back
Top Bottom