Announcing AxeCapture: A plugin to save Axe-FX presets in your DAW project.

I thought firmware version was already included in each preset. Isn't that how presets built with a later version than you're currently running know to not be displayed?

It might not be in a human-friendly form, but it must be in there.
Yes there's a preset version but it's not directly correlated to firmware version

I thought firmware version was already included in each preset. Isn't that how presets built with a later version than you're currently running know to not be displayed?

It might not be in a human-friendly form, but it must be in there.
AFAIK the reason nothing is displayed is because there is no firmware info in the preset. If there was version info in the preset, I would expect to see an error message, not a befuddling blank preset.

Can you explain a bit more what this means? Just that it's not in a human-friendly form?
It means by example firmware 13.01 may be preset version 147 when preset version 148 will only appear at firmware 13.07...
Preset internal numbering is only increased when something in the simulation evolves

AFAIK the reason nothing is displayed is because there is no firmware info in the preset. If there was version info in the preset, I would expect to see an error message, not a befuddling blank preset.
There could be a message saying the preset was created with a higher version than the firmware recognizes though...

You mean nothing shows because it errors out trying to load it? Could be, and I know nothing, but...
  • That's not a very Fractal-like programming technique.
  • Only some kinds of firmware changes would actually cause an error, and it's my impression that older firmware can * never * load presets built with a newer version.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention: I've been using this with an Axe-FX III, but it should also work on an FM9. Is there a FM9 owner out there who'd be willing to give it a try and let me know if it works for them? It will not work with an FM3, sorry.
Bumping this. Are there any FM9 owners out there who are doing recording and would be willing to test AxeCapture?

Forgot to mention: I've been using this with an Axe-FX III, but it should also work on an FM9. Is there a FM9 owner out there who'd be willing to give it a try and let me know if it works for them? It will not work with an FM3, sorry.
Oh what a pity!
Thanks anyway, I'll go on by saving the snapshot old fashion, until I find out how to build a vst for the fm3

Let me put it this way: there probably aren’t as many people doing recording with an FM3 as with an AxeFX, so it probably doesn’t make sense to make an extra effort to support the FM3. But I’m willing to be proved wrong. If there is sufficient demand from FM3 owners, I’d be willing to look into it.

1000 thank yous!!!!!!!!!!!!

i use fl studio. just added it to my preset template. captured a preset, change to dif scene... released it and it returned me to the correct scene. WONDERFUL!

I used to use cakewalk sysx to send rec presets and have oft considered going back to it for that single feature... but I do so much midi stuff and just know fl studio so well... can't make that transition... this has resolved that itch and I can't thank you enough. (fl studio has issues with sysx)

very much appreciate what you've done here. it'd be a really nice feature to have an auto send feature that would send the patch on initial startup of a proj so a project would just load up by default with the last preset used... but easy enough to hit the release button. I suppose I could record that in as automation... might try that.

really, what a great plugin... fantastically generous of you to offer it for free. Is there somewhere I can make a small donation?

No dice on FM9. Looks like it's looking for Axe-Edit III, and not FM3-Edit and FM9-Edit. Loving on the III though!

Just a side note, is there a way to enable controls without the steampunk UI?

1686426838081.png

Pretty cool. My solution so far is to create a new preset (I am running out) and note it in Logic. OR I will create a folder and export a preset etc. Neither are great solutions IMO. I will totally check this out. Ty.

Back
Top Bottom