Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR - UPDATED 7/27/09

Re: Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR

Was there a speculated release date for the Reactor FR? I just want to make sure I didn't miss any info.

After playing with the AxeFx a bit, I've realized that this is the route I need to go :cool:

Tom King said:
BlueLotus said:
[quote="Tom King":24nu77zf]Yes, in theory the Reactor FR is acting more like a hifi system than a traditional guitar amp in that its response is designed to be linear and accurately reproduce the signal it is fed.

but

No, the power amp break up will not sound bad ... it will sound very much like a guitar amp would.

See now that just boggles my mind. I guess I'll have to hear it to believe it but everything in my brain equates poweramp breakup to distortion and distortion with a FRFR just doesn't sound nice at all. Anyways, the answer you gave is the one I was hoping for in terms of it sounding good when it starts breaking up. Is there a difference between the clipping/distortion breakup of a SS FRFR home hifi system vs a high end tube FRFR home hifi system? Maybe the tubes have more mojo than I thought.
Have you ever heard a tube hifi system break up?

Tube amp break up, whether it is in a guitar amp or hifi system is quite different than the nasty/harsh clipping that occurs in solid state amps. Do not confuse the two sonically.

Driving a quality FR system of any kind with the Axe Fx's cabinet simulations "on", will make that FR cabinet assume the frequency response of the cabinet it is emulating (limited by the quality of any given IR - but close enough for my point).

Generically speaking, they type of guitar amp cabinet emulations found in the Axe-Fx truncate the high end response and accentuate the midrange like their real world counterparts do. In other words, there shouldn't be any issue with using a Tube based FRFR system because the speaker system at that point is effectively no longer full range. It only has the range of a typical guitar cabinet. Effects that come after the cabinet in the signal chain, however, as some commonly do - like reverb or pitch, etc. would not be truncated which in most instances for the application is very desirable.

From a real world standpoint, I can tell you that I have heard the system cranked and IMHO its sounds far from harsh. That being said, where there’s a will, there’s a way. :shock:[/quote:24nu77zf]

From what Cliff has said the Cabs (unless you use the drive) and Reverb are LTI so it shouldn't matter if one comes before the other. Pitch is a different story.

Does anyone know how the AFX will integrate physically with the Reactor cab (since it's presumably much too large to fit into a module like the POD version)? Is the idea to continue running AFX in a rack or on a speaker stand?

Stringtheorist said:
Does anyone know how the AFX will integrate physically with the Reactor cab (since it's presumably much too large to fit into a module like the POD version)? Is the idea to continue running AFX in a rack or on a speaker stand?

that is what it looked like in the video.

javajunkie said:
Stringtheorist said:

that is what it looked like in the video.

Yea. Just looked like Rack out to Atomic left and right.

Was there a speculated release date for the Reactor FR?

Tom... any update?? I don't know how much longer I can hold out with these POS JBL Eons!!!!!!!!

Yeah but I was hoping sooner ( really really hoping )... like next week :p

Stringtheorist said:
GuitarDojo said:
I hope you got on the list early! ;)
We need to be on a list for the Reactor? I'd better get on it. :eek:

Good luck. I sent an email and a PM and still haven't received any acknowledgment that I'm even on the list, let alone where or how long I'll have to wait. I have a feeling they have a healthy back-order already and we'll be waiting a long long while.

I hope you got on the list early!

Prob got on by the end of the 1st week of Tom's announcement... but I don't know if I can wait til Jan... or Feb... or Mar.....

BTW... I would love to have a 2 or 3 space rack built into this cabinet.... jfwiw

Cam said:
but I don't know if I can wait til Jan... or Feb... or Mar.....

+1
I need a solution soon! :? It will help if I now when the amp is available in Europe...

mjongkamp said:
Cam said:
but I don't know if I can wait til Jan... or Feb... or Mar.....

+1
I need a solution soon! :? It will help if I now when the amp is available in Europe...

I would strongly suggest that if you guys need something soon then go buy something that is available today. They have said around January for the Atomic and that was just an estimate, it could take longer. I'm sure if they had a more firm date in mind for the release they would tell us...........it's not like they are trying to keep the product from us. They are in business to sell this stuff, don't you think they will have it out as soon as they can? I can assure you that the process won't be sped up just because a few guys on a message board say that they can't wait. :roll:

Is it possible to disengage the poweramp stage and plug a head?
What do you think it gives as a result with your frfr speaker?

Hi Tom, (this is Jeremy from PA/Dallas)

Have not spoken to you in a while, congratulations on this new merge! As far as the FR goes, will you be selling upgrade kits to retro-fit the standard 112-50? I should be in the market soon for a 2nd one, and should I ever go for the Axe, it would be cool to have a retro-fit option:)

Thanks man, and again...congratulations. This is exciting!

Sorry, too many posts to read, so a few questions. Sorry if they've been answered already; too many posts to read :p

How much is it going to weigh? I seem to recall hearing something like 50 lbs; if it's only 50 lbs or so, how are they going to manage that with a tube power amp AND a speaker? If they can, more power to them, but yeah...

Are these designed to make full use of BOTH the power amp sims as well as the cabinet sims? Just one, or just the other?

Having tubes implies it will be adding its own coloration and it's not a truly transparent... is this not the case? And how?

Could this be used as a powered cab for a regular tube preamp (with similar results to some other tube amp for example)? Or do you need the power amp sims that the Axe-FX has to make it sound right? I guess this goes in line with my previous question...

Thanks guys :D

thinkpad20 said:
Sorry, too many posts to read, so a few questions. Sorry if they've been answered already; too many posts to read :p

How much is it going to weigh? I seem to recall hearing something like 50 lbs; if it's only 50 lbs or so, how are they going to manage that with a tube power amp AND a speaker? If they can, more power to them, but yeah...

Are these designed to make full use of BOTH the power amp sims as well as the cabinet sims? Just one, or just the other?

Having tubes implies it will be adding its own coloration and it's not a truly transparent... is this not the case? And how?

Could this be used as a powered cab for a regular tube preamp (with similar results to some other tube amp for example)? Or do you need the power amp sims that the Axe-FX has to make it sound right? I guess this goes in line with my previous question...

Thanks guys :D

Its in the name. "Atomic Reactor FR". FR means its flat response which means it is designed to give you the full power of the axe-fx, amp sims and cab sims. Even though its tube powered doesnt mean the tubes will colour the sound. I think Tom said that tubes can be transparent when used in this way and they promised the "in the room amp feel" which many have complained about not getting with other fr\fr speakers. I dont remember what they said it would weigh though.

Back
Top Bottom