Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR - UPDATED 7/27/09

Tom King

Experienced
Get to the latest update here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1531&start=523

First, thanks to all the forum members who stopped by to visit us the Amp Show. It was great to meet you in person, get a chance to play some guitar and hang a bit.

Both Cliff and I are very excited to officially announce Atomic’s new product, the Reactor FR.

There have already been some reports from the show but I’d like to clarify some details so that speculation is not necessary:

Is is FRFR?: The Reactor FR is both linear and full range (aka FRFR). It is as flat (or more so) than any of the commonly discussed FRFRs that are mentioned on this board. Tweaking for the PA should not be an issue (certainly no more than any PA would be needed to be adjusted to a room, etc. – and likely less). As such it will additionally work very well for monitoring acoustic guitar, vocals, keyboards, looped music, etc. In addition to the standard 1/4" input, the system comes equipped with a balanced input and output so you can go directly FOH out of the cab.

There is a tweeter level control (L pad) so if you want to take out some top end to make the frequency response more like a traditional guitar cab, you can do so. At the show we demo’d it on the flat setting for those who are curious. As accounts have mentioned, it sounds very “in the room” as opposed to a mic’d up cab.

Is is tube powered?: Yes. The Reactor FR is the first and currently only tube-powered FRFR personal monitor in the world! The power section is based on a modified version of Atomic’s Harry Kolbe designed, 50w, 6L6, all-tube amp.

Why do you choose to go with tubes?: After doing extensive R&D and considering solid state, digital and hybrid options, we found that tubes performed the best in overall sound quality and seriously helped to achieve the presence (“in the room feel”) we were looking for. We have our ideas on how to potentially get those other technologies to work in this type of application but considering development time, target pricing and overcoming the general negative market perception of them, tubes were clearly the best fit for this product.

Is there a DSP EQ helping to achieve the frequency response?: No. This is great news because it will enable us to also offer a passive version of the cabinet for those who would like to use add a second cab or their own power. The cabinet’s frequency response is achieved by an entirely passive system comprised of a 12” driver, bass port, horn style tweeter and crossover network.

FYI – Most, if not all of the other FRFR systems discussed on this forum use a DSP powered EQ to achieve a “flat” response. This is not ideal.

Why not a wedge?: We wanted to maintain a traditional guitar cab look. We were able to do so and maintain excellent sound dispersion. If you prefer to tilt it back a bit, feel free to do so. We have not ruled out doing a wedge version but it is not a priority at the moment.

Re: Announcement: Atomic Reactor FR

great news! so they will be available in january or february? about $700 list?

Thanks Tom for the clarification and it was great to meet you at the L.A. Amp Show. I don't know much about tubes so the little knowledge I have makes me dangerous to myself and others.

I have read how tube amp owners sometimes prefer different types of tubes because they impart a certain "character" on the sound. Given that can you address if the 6L6 tubes in the Reactor FR impart a particular "character" on the sound, what you feel that character is, and why those tubes were specifically choosen over others that may be available.

great news! so they will be available in january or february? about $700 list?
Target price is between $699 - $799. We are getting some final quotes on some components and will keep it as affordable as we can without skimping on quality.

I have read how tube amp owners sometimes prefer different types of tubes because they impart a certain "character" on the sound. Given that can you address if the 6L6 tubes in the Reactor FR impart a particular "character" on the sound, what you feel that character is, and why those tubes were specifically choosen over others that may be available.
Great to meet you as well!

The short answer is that 6L6 tubes are relatively strident and as applied to our power section, don't impart much of a particular "character" - really no more than other non tube components - its all about the overall design (thanks, Harry! ;) ). Other choices in the circuit and power supply also define the amps sonic signature or in this case, transparency.

Will this be sold by Atomic directly? Or will it operate through the Fractal site?

I ask because there's going to be a deluge of preordering.

Will this be sold by Atomic directly? Or will it operate through the Fractal site?
In the near future this will not be a factor ;) . For the time being, wait list requests should be sent to: orders@atomicamps.com and should include full name, telephone number and shipping address. Thanks for asking!

Is it a 1x12 design? 2x12? Sounds like a cool product.
Thanks. It is a 1x12, but I don't think that you would't guess that by hearing it.

Tom King said:
Is it a 1x12 design? 2x12? Sounds like a cool product.
Thanks. It is a 1x12, but I don't think that you would't guess that by hearing it.

What kind of volume does 2 of them put out compared to a vht 2/50/5 into 2 decent 2x12's?

Hey Tom... that's good news

when will it be available in the UK via G66, and will they have a waiting list as I'd like to get on it ASAP!

What kind of volume does 2 of them put out compared to a vht 2/50/5 into 2 decent 2x12's?
I don't have any SPL numbers for you at the moment but I can tell you that when we cranked it up, people were running for cover :lol:

Hey Tom... that's good news

when will it be available in the UK via G66, and will they have a waiting list as I'd like to get on it ASAP!
Hey Rowbi, good to see you over here. They will be available through G66 - most likely at the same time they become available in the US.

Tom King said:
I don't have any SPL numbers for you at the moment but I can tell you that when we cranked it up, people were running for cover :lol:

Not looking for exact numbers, but I know Cliff uses the 2/50/2 and I've been using one for a number of years (before going direct). as long as it can pull off the volume of a typical 50W tube poweramp (w/o saturating), it is good for me.

Not looking for exact numbers, but I know Cliff uses the 2/50/2 and I've been using one for a number of years (before going direct). as long as it can pull off the volume of a typical 50W tube poweramp (w/o saturating), it is good for me.
Put is this way - Cliff is chomping at the bit to get his. :D

Great news Tom!

Looking forward to achieve one of these once they become available in Europe.

Q: maybe to early, but any chance we see you and cliff on the Frankfurter Messe 2009? Would be great to see a pair of genious guys :)

email sent.

Add me to the list....I should'nt be that far behind CC! :D

Tom King said:
In the near future this will not be a factor ;) . For the time being, wait list requests should be sent to: orders@atomicamps.com and should include full name, telephone number and shipping address. Thanks for asking!
I'm reading this as two options: the amps will be available at a myriad of places, i.e. shops everywhere,or at least through both companies. Or: in the future there will not be a difference between Fractal Audio and Atomic amps, i.e. one and the same company. As I gather both companies are top notch and dedicated to their customers, so in the latter case, I guess congratulations on your marriage are in order!

So Cliff gets hitched twice in one year. I hope he has nice honeymoons...

Actually I was missing amp GAS a bit since I got the Axe ... soooooo now we can soon have discussions in here about speaker types (i.e. trying a Celestion Gold in there) or tubes ... is it gonna accept EL34s ... 5881s?

Hooooohhhh, now I am getting my brains going here ... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom