Am I doing something wrong? Not too happy...

Without touching the global eq at all, most of the higher gain patches on my A2 sounded great once I got rid of the ridiculous delay.

I'm using Tannoy precision 8D monitors. They have a very mild bass response and are very accurate and revealing.

Recommendation: grab a few of your favorite cd's and listen to them through your KRK's. Do they sound like you're used to on other systems or are they overly bassy, boomy, muddy etc?. Personally, I've never heard a pair of krk's that I liked.

Without touching the global eq at all, most of the higher gain patches on my A2 sounded great once I got rid of the ridiculous delay.

In my mixing room the factory patches do sound overly wet. But in my live room or when I schlep to the local drinking hole, not so much.

My live room is treated but still *eats* more of the efx mix.

Richard

Thanks for sharing guys!
After I changed the monitors, I HAD to bring all the bass, mids and highs back in the middle. For everything in the chain (pedal block, amp block, etc) Removed all eq's.
Every cabinet now sounds interesting, usable. Went back to the stock cabs, checked them out, nice.
I can hear the low E string when picked hard in a high gain patch, the sound is distorted and bold, stands out in the mix instead of hiding there somewhere.
I mean it is distorted uniformly from the attack through the note. Sounds almost exactly like the sound you hear in the headphones although much more dynamic.
These are my first impressions, I have no idea why this unit sounds so different through different monitors, but IMHO it does.
I'll see what's going on in my first recording, still fine tuning my cliffs of dover sound.

I did the CD check, my backing tracks sound more airy and the anoying bass (the one that can give you headackes if you listen too much of it) is gone. Thanks God!
The KRKs will have to go too.

Cheers, Adrian

Just got my FXII last week.

I'd already got a Matrix GT800FX for powering my monitors (SN-10's) and playing bass (using 2x 2x12 JBL E120s).

The factory presets sound great through the Matrix and SN-10's. I have a real 1963 AC-30, and the AC-30 preset for example really does it justice only without the hideous volume to crank it there, hum-hiss and setting off the fire sprinklers. I love the Plexi clean and quiet, as well as roaring.

From this interesting discussion, it seems to me that the FXII works best of you let it do all the work: straight into a totally flat amp and then into flat speakers.

For me the joy is providing the sound guy with a feed for FOH that's going to work AND sound like I'm hearing it on stage, which he only has to EQ along with everything to fit the room. I haven't recorded yet, but I'm already clear in my own head that I can get the sounds I want DI'd into the interface - and certainly without requiring huge volumes in the live room.

I got my II last week and playing thru KRK Rokits sounds AWFUL. The reason I know it's not the KRKs is that before the II, I ran an Eleven Rack, a Guitar Rig Kontrol, and a POD HD500 thru them and they all sounded great with no tweaking. I tried starting a with a blank preset, then tried all the hi-gain amps and a host of 4x12s to no avail. In fact, the thing that struck me was that this EQ problem makes all the hi-gain amps sound eerily similar when playing lead lines. It almost sounds like the signal coming out of the axe is too hot, however the meters aren't coming close to red. I tried using headphones (good ones) and I get the same (or similar) fizzy, boomy, flinty tone on the high gain presets as i get with the KRKs. Because I have gotten great tone from other modelers and the rokits, I know it's not the speakers. Help!

KRK Rokits are back in business! I tried the system parameter reset (3rd tab on the UTILITY menu) and voila - all the fuzz, buzz, tin, etc. I was experiencing from my Rokits magically disappeared! Thanks NeoSound!!!

My guess is the cab sims were turned off in the global menu. A system reset will turn them back on.

Axe FX II and KRK Rokit 6 G2 here. Axe FX Balanced outs to mixer.
Using a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer for my studio DAW setup.
Balanced outs to KRK's.

Sounds great on recorded tracks and also guitar alone.

I have the KRK's gain set at +6 which is factory setting.
I do have a fairly good sound treated room.

Last edited:
Checked the input level, it is ok. Global settings - both poweramp and cab are on.
As for the headphones, I agree I should try a good pair. I'll make this one of my priorities.
I also tend to agree with NeoSound. The Axe II seems to be made for live use, I am almost certain it would sound killer through a real amp and cab. It's present sound is like dying to go through a poweramp and get "polished" there. If that's the case, maybe I made the wrong choice, I should have gone for the Ultra...Some recording I've heard with the Ultra are to die for.

Cab impulses are a different animal than listening to an in the room amp. Think of it this way, if you're running some impulse that's modeling a SM57 off axis 6" from the cap, that's what's going to come out of your monitors if you run the Axe directly into them. When you're standing in a room, you aren't jamming out on your amp with your ear off axis 6" from the cap. It doesn't matter if you run a II, an Ultra, or a Pod.

That said, a recorded tone in a mix is going to sound a lot better than a straight impulse into your studio monitors, because it's in a mix. The other instruments fill up the space. There's a reason why people don't mic cabs with 12 mics at once when they record.

.2c

I like Mic...CAB Callaway...

Cab impulses are a different animal than listening to an in the room amp. Think of it this way, if you're running some impulse that's modeling a SM57 off axis 6" from the cap, that's what's going to come out of your monitors if you run the Axe directly into them. When you're standing in a room, you aren't jamming out on your amp with your ear off axis 6" from the cap. It doesn't matter if you run a II, an Ultra, or a Pod.

That said, a recorded tone in a mix is going to sound a lot better than a straight impulse into your studio monitors, because it's in a mix. The other instruments fill up the space. There's a reason why people don't mic cabs with 12 mics at once when they record.

.2c

Chris,

When you say: "If you're running some impulse that's modeling a SM57 off axis 6" from the cap, that's what's going to come out of your monitors if you run the Axe directly into them. When you're standing in a room, you aren't jamming out on your amp with your ear off axis 6" from the cap. It doesn't matter if you run a II, an Ultra, or a Pod." BTW, I agree with you. However, isn't that really an issue of whether your monitoring the signal "GOING-TO-the-recorder/DAW" versus monitoring the signal "FROM/PLAYBACK-of-the-recorder/DAW?" IMO, your point has nothing to do with the differentiation between a "cab-IR signal" and an actual "mic'd-up-cab signal?" Am I correct that you're explaining to adrianni that a "solo'd" guitar sound through a studio-monitor (whether IR or actually-mic'd) will always sound different than a guitar "in-a-mix-context" because of the interaction (frequency-masking; stereo-imaging; phase-issues; etc!) of all the other instruments? Your opening statement about "Cab Impulses being different than an amp-in-a-room" confused me...

I'd say that a Cab-Impulse AND/OR a mic'd-up-cab will BOTH differ than an "amp-in-a-room" (unless the mic'd-up-cab is using a single "ambience-mic" (with a VERY FLAT frequency-response,) and is duct-taped to the listener's neck/shoulder approximately an inch away from the listener's ears - LOL!)

My 2 pennies...

Bill

For me its not the way you are monitoring. It is the how the IR was captured.

Close miked IR's will not sound like standing next to an amp and playing.

The factory far field IR's will sound like that though.

Richard

Sorry guys, couldn't help it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42771489/DSC08406.JPG

Notice the different monitors.
I guess Fractal Audio keeps the engine of economy running...

nice, ADAMs here, too.

you might want to invest in a pair of monitor pads to decouple the speakers from the stands
216549.jpg

Attachments

• 216549.jpg
    216549.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom