Am I doing something wrong? Not too happy...

adrianni

Inspired
Hi,

I'm using the Axe FX II with KRK VXT6 studio monitors. I am not very happy with the sounds I get.
Prior to owning this processor, I only used preamps. I have a JMP1, a Peavey Rockmaster, a Rectifier recording preamp, a Rockman and a Triaxis.
I have a GCX looping system so I can choose what preamp I want to use and I direct the preamp of choice to a Palmer speaker emulator and a TC G Force for effects. Then I go to a mixer (for mixing with the CD player for backing tracks) and KRK VXT6 studio monitors.

I was not able to get a usable sound with my axe. I play covers (Neil Zaza, Eric Johnson, Satriani). I don't understand what's going on, I even tried the AxeFX through my Palmer speaker emulator (disabling first the cab emulation in the axefx), I tried it through the G Force, somehow the tone lacks something major. I does not seem to blend so nicely with the backing track, it's like the sounds don't belong together (don't know how to say it better). It lacks some frequencies that are so naturally there with the other preamps I use. It's very frustrating because I keep hearing beautiful recordings with the axe fx (mostly the Ultra but I think II is way better) and I cannot seem to be able to get those tones.

So, again, am I doing something wrong? What do I need to correct?

This sounds like an obvious observation but I'll post it anyway. Start simple. Just go direct from the AXE FX to your monitor or mixer. Edit the preset to only have an amp and a cab, then you can add in other things to see where the sound goes wrong. If it doesn't sound good with this basic setup, get rid of the cab. If that still sounds funky maybe you should do a system reset and try again.

You should probably have your cab sims OR your speaker emulator engaged, not both. But YMMV as I play though a guitar cab and I prefer the cab sims ON. Without cab sims it's not so good.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm using the Axe FX II with KRK VXT6 studio monitors.
I have the same setup. The Axe II and KRK 6's. Anybody else with that setup?

I've set my KRK's line in to have -6db and turned Axe' "output 1" up to about half way. I'm still playing with the factory presets and trying to figure out how to edit sounds and cabs and "blocks" (not there yet!). The gain sounds are boomy and sizzly and I think it needs to be EQ'd w/in Axe-FX but I'm still trying to understand how to do that. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the KRK's might be the culprit.

Last edited:
I have the same setup APE. I don't play through it but one time I tried, it sounded way boomy and bassy. I would love to know how to set it up correctly.

Hi,

I'm using the Axe FX II with KRK VXT6 studio monitors. I am not very happy with the sounds I get.
Prior to owning this processor, I only used preamps. I have a JMP1, a Peavey Rockmaster, a Rectifier recording preamp, a Rockman and a Triaxis.
I have a GCX looping system so I can choose what preamp I want to use and I direct the preamp of choice to a Palmer speaker emulator and a TC G Force for effects. Then I go to a mixer (for mixing with the CD player for backing tracks) and KRK VXT6 studio monitors.

I was not able to get a usable sound with my axe. I play covers (Neil Zaza, Eric Johnson, Satriani). I don't understand what's going on, I even tried the AxeFX through my Palmer speaker emulator (disabling first the cab emulation in the axefx), I tried it through the G Force, somehow the tone lacks something major. I does not seem to blend so nicely with the backing track, it's like the sounds don't belong together (don't know how to say it better). It lacks some frequencies that are so naturally there with the other preamps I use. It's very frustrating because I keep hearing beautiful recordings with the axe fx (mostly the Ultra but I think II is way better) and I cannot seem to be able to get those tones.

So, again, am I doing something wrong? What do I need to correct?

You had lot cool stuff and all setup why change? Now you will spend hundreds of hours trying to get what you already had?

How are your I/O and Global setups set? Are you setting your A/D input correctly? What are your connections?

I found with my Ultra that the foremost factor in a tone that was good vs. bad was the cab modeling. When I use my Axe connected to my combo amp (a flat toned combo that could thought of as a pre-amp with cab) and turn off cab models through the global settings most everything I use sounds great; slap on the cab modeling and everything goes to hell.

It would seem that the cab modeling is incredibly important and difficult to getting a great sound. If you are unhappy with your sound going to your monitors try playing through a pre-amp/cab setup with cab modeling turned off and see how that is. Then start your cab modeling adventure from there.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for the replies. I also suspect the KRK system. Yes, boomy and sizzly, not natural at all, it's like blocking your play instead of letting the notes flow, the guitar tone does not blend with the backing track, don't know what else to say. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue, maybe we should change the monitors for some Adam AX7, I heard only good things about Adam - AxeFX combination.

@symphx:
I wanted an Axe FX because I thought I could get all the tones from one box. Plus, I don't have anything to sound like a Fender rig. The best Eric Johnson sound I got is from a Fender GDEC 30 modelling amp. As you may know, Fender did not produce a rack preamp or anything like it. Wouldn't it be nice to have all the sounds from one box and a foot controller?

@scott:
I am using the default configuration. Amp is active, Cab is active. Tried Cab inactive - AxeFX through Palmer emulator. Different sound but still not ok.
A/D - don't really know what you mean. I am using the front input.
Guitar goes straight into the AxeFX (did not use the GCX ground control to route the guitar to AxeFX yet), I am using Output 1 to mixer. The mixer output goes to my KRK subwoofer which takes the signal it to the monitors. In fact I ended up turning the subwoofer to minimum setting because the sound was way too boomy in an unpleasant way.
Tried taking the subwoofer out of the chain (Balanced Output 1 directly to the monitors), no results.
What do you mean by A/D setup? As I said, my axefx is at default settings.

The clean sounds are ok, and even the Pride and Joy preset sounds very nice. But when it comes to gainy tones, something terrible is going on, I can't point my finger on it but I will try to do a recording (never done one before)

Kind regards, Adrian

My rig:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42771489/DSC08399.JPG

Last edited:
If you upgraded your firmware to 2.x, my II didn't sound right til I reset the system and uploaded the updated presets.

What do you mean by "reset the system", system parameters? If so, is that a requirement for everything to work correctly after a firmware upgrade?

I uploaded the V2 presets from support section of Fractal website. I used Axe Edit.
Did a system reset after that. Should I have done the reset before banks update?

I could use a Marshall JVM215C as a powered cabinet but I will loose the idea of mixing the two sounds (guitar and backing track).
Any other guy out there using KRK monitors?

KRK are boomy. Event Opal, Klein&Hummel/Neumann, Adam or even Yamaha HS50 or HS80 are better. I´ve tried to mix with VXT6, but they have to much bottom end. Maybe good for listening to rap or something.. Like more neutral sounding monitors. IMHO of course :)

I have a pair of Rokit 8 G2's kicking around at the studio, just plugged em in to the axe to see what was up. Sounded like ass.

Global EQ is definitely your friend with these monitors it seems. I stripped out around 8db from the first two low freq sliders, and about 2db from the third. I also rolled a couple db off at 16khz and it made the world of difference.

I'll spend a bit more time with them later this evening and see if there's anything that stands out.

@Drama: Thank you for your message, this is a very important piece of information, I really apreciate it.
I don't want to give up so easily, the monitors sound perfect on my rig when I use the other preamps and effects. Take a look at the picture I posted earlier on this topic, I know what I'm talking about. There must be something in the Axe. Having said that, I'm sure the Axe would sound beautifully through a real power amp and cabinet, this is something I need to test but it's not really why I bought it for in the first place.
Cheers, Adrian

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I also suspect the KRK system. Yes, boomy and sizzly, not natural at all, it's like blocking your play instead of letting the notes flow, the guitar tone does not blend with the backing track, don't know what else to say. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue, maybe we should change the monitors for some Adam AX7, I heard only good things about Adam - AxeFX combination.

@symphx:
I wanted an Axe FX because I thought I could get all the tones from one box. Plus, I don't have anything to sound like a Fender rig. The best Eric Johnson sound I got is from a Fender GDEC 30 modelling amp. As you may know, Fender did not produce a rack preamp or anything like it. Wouldn't it be nice to have all the sounds from one box and a foot controller?

@scott:
I am using the default configuration. Amp is active, Cab is active. Tried Cab inactive - AxeFX through Palmer emulator. Different sound but still not ok.
A/D - don't really know what you mean. I am using the front input.
Guitar goes straight into the AxeFX (did not use the GCX ground control to route the guitar to AxeFX yet), I am using Output 1 to mixer. The mixer output goes to my KRK subwoofer which takes the signal it to the monitors. In fact I ended up turning the subwoofer to minimum setting because the sound was way too boomy in an unpleasant way.
Tried taking the subwoofer out of the chain (Balanced Output 1 directly to the monitors), no results.
What do you mean by A/D setup? As I said, my axefx is at default settings.

The clean sounds are ok, and even the Pride and Joy preset sounds very nice. But when it comes to gainy tones, something terrible is going on, I can't point my finger on it but I will try to do a recording (never done one before)

Kind regards, Adrian

My rig:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42771489/DSC08399.JPG

Scott asked about the input level settings because you should set them for your guitar. It will give you the best signal to noise ratio that way. It probably is not your main issue. but it should be done. Increase the front input level parameter until it tickles the red when you are strumming. If it doesn't tickle the red at full, just keep it at full (it will be fine).

Have you checked your global settings poweramp on/off, cab on/off. These are under the global menu.

Also, what does it sound like when you use headphones though the axefx headphone out.

Last edited:
Also, if you haven't tried it yet, audition new monitoring systems with amp -> cab only presets.

It was a big revelation to me to strip out most of the blocks, especially in other user's presets. Presets that I didn't sound good at all, came to life by just getting them all the way down to amp -> cab and then building from there.

Richard

What do you mean by "reset the system", system parameters? If so, is that a requirement for everything to work correctly after a firmware upgrade?

Utility menu 3rd page over reset system param's. After I updated to 2.x firmware the II just didn't sound right? after I done the system param reset I noticed a nice difference, even before I loaded the updated presets. Hope it helps :)

I notice that the Axe II's output sound is more amp like :p and that really helps with power amp and cab setup. I haven't tried my Mackie srm5's yet, maybe it requires more tweeking ? I always thought this problem was opposite with the Ultra.

Scott asked about the input level settings because you should set them for your guitar. It will give you the best signal to noise ratio that way. It probably is not your main issue. but it should be done. Increase the front input level parameter until it tickles the red when you are strumming. If it doesn't tickle the red at full, just keep it at full (it will be fine).

Have you checked your global settings poweramp on/off, cab on/off. These are under the global menu.

Also, what does it sound like when you use headphones though the axefx headphone out.

Checked the input level, it is ok. Global settings - both poweramp and cab are on.
As for the headphones, I agree I should try a good pair. I'll make this one of my priorities.
I also tend to agree with NeoSound. The Axe II seems to be made for live use, I am almost certain it would sound killer through a real amp and cab. It's present sound is like dying to go through a poweramp and get "polished" there. If that's the case, maybe I made the wrong choice, I should have gone for the Ultra...Some recording I've heard with the Ultra are to die for.

Back
Top Bottom