AITR

DMIb0MyUQAAbHvy.jpg

This is my personal opinion, and if someone gets offended then it's on him.
I think that 1024 user IR's are more then enough. I bet no one uses more then a couple of IR's live, and those 1024 in User1 bank to play around are also waaaayyy to much. If from 1024 User IR's+Factory and Legacy, you cannot find a sound u like, then those are the possibilities. You either don't know what you are doing, or you have shitty IR's, or you are not organized...I never ever used User2 bank. Initially I had User 1 bank almost full..then...I realized that it is actually harder to keep trying to find a IR I like when I was looking for a tone... I spent some time and I reduce them to around 100...most of the cab packs gives so many variations of the same IR...So I kept just what sounded interesting to me. I still have them on PC..btw...so nothing is lost....
So yeah..Cliff...please bring "FullRes" to MK1. Everybody will adapt.

Neither do I. What I do need is a way to weed out the ones I'm not using and 'defrag' the storage space while updating the presets with the new location of the cabs that got 'defragged'. Probably only using about 50 or so of them, TBH....

I also want to do that. Waiting for the "Save AMP + CAB bundle" at Axe-Edit to save all my presets with CAB, delete all the user CABs, and reload my presets again, choosing where to store the CABs

Last edited:
I also want to do that. Waiting for the "Save AMP + CAB bundle" at Axe-Edit to save all my presets with CAB, delete all the user CABs, and reload my presets again choosing where to store the CABs
That is another way around the problem, but still doesn't replace me with a small shell script, which is kinda what I'd like. :)

Push a button, go get a snack, come back and it's ready to go is kinda what I imagine....

In my youth, lots of beautiful "Ambiance" was often pushed out into the audience as far a technically possible with very high wattage / high headroom amps. Many artists went deaf, and lots of audience members too, due to getting their heads blown off with loaded Hiwatts/Marshalls firing full blast into the clueless hipsters directly in front. PA in those days was not considered very rock and roll (+ they's barely been invented yet).

In my youth, lots of beautiful "Ambiance" was often pushed out into the audience as far a technically possible with very high wattage / high headroom amps. Many artists went deaf, and lots of audience members too, due to getting their heads blown off with loaded Hiwatts/Marshalls firing full blast into the clueless hipsters directly in front. PA in those days was not considered very rock and roll (+ they's barely been invented yet).

"Just wanna make some eardrums bleed"

Once Full Res is out in the wild, it won't be long before all and sundry (myself included) start A/B-ing Full Res IRs to Ultra Res plus Reverb (adjusted with reflections, diffusion, highpass, lowpass, etc. to emulate the Full Res).

I wonder if I will find myself still gravitating to standard IRs along with a subtle touch (often 5-7%) of the near infinite adjustability of reverb to emulate a variety of spaces, rather than the more specific baked in space that includes adjustable distant mic balance. With reverb, the diffusion & reflections etc. can all be adjusted and printed in post and as glue with the rest of the tracks on a dedicated bus. Its seems that when using Full Res it may be desireable to instantiate that same Full Res IR (or just the distant mics) on an aux bus, for using a touch in mixdown with other tracks: so they are convincingly in the same space as the guitar cabinet. Not a criticism: Just my provisional assessment that Full Res is a sophisticated tool that might be a challenge to use effectively for those with a plug and play outlook.

As an analogous note, I've made invaluable use of UAD's Ocean Ways Room Modeling Plug In (In mixdown, obviously) , so I can see real potential in Fractal's extension of IR capability with spacial modeling: And impressively: being able to pull this off in real time. I look forward to jumping in.

Last edited:
Given that a 1.3 second IR captures reflections from up to ~715 feet (round-trip), it seems like a great way to capture many individual spaces' sonic shapes via early reflections, and enhancing that with a little algo reverb could be a rather good "1-2 punch" in the spatial sense....

Back
Top Bottom