AITR

They'd have to maintain this dual identity moving forward for every FW release. I doubt this is feasible.
I imagine they already have similar compilation configurations to support FM3 / FM9 / Ax3 from a common codebase. Just innocent speculation -- not prescriptive advice...

To me it doesn't sound like having an amp in the room but room miking an amp that's in a room.

How exactly is that any different. Your ears are effectively a pair of stereo room mics when you are playing an amp in a room. The example clips have the room sound dialed in pretty heavy for demonstration purposes. You can very easily adjust the mix of room sound to direct sound by simply reducing the level of the FullRes cab in the cab block. It's really no different than balancing mic levels between a close mic and a room mic when recording with mics.

I'd give up half my user preset slots on my MkI Axe 3 just to have the capability.......
Indeed. I don't know how anyone else operates, but for me, the Axe-FX III has so much processing power that I've been able to reduce my presets from one-per-sound to one-per-rig, i.e. for any given show, I'm (typically) only using one preset (with scenes and IA buttons giving me access to the different sounds within).

So, the number of presets I need for different situations is only a handful. And then IRs, I don't know how anyone could possibly need 1024, let alone 2048. Again, maybe my needs are simple, but for consistency of tone, I mimic a real-life setup where maybe you have a cabinet setup for cleans and a cabinet setup for heavy stuff, but that's about it. There's so much built-in cabinet selection in the Axe-FX III, I haven't even loaded any user cabs (I had on the II).

So, I'd throw another vote in the "bring FullRes to Mk.1" pile, I literally won't even notice the missing IR or patch space.

Last edited:
I thought Cliff's OP recording was very cool. I'm a dumb guitar player, slash recordist, slash AV tech, slash IT guy.

I hope that AXE-FX 3 doesnt get obsolesced because we wanted reverb. This isn't the 'nonlinear speaker' thing that some have been hammering about for 10 years. Or is it?

I trust Fractal to steer our beloved box in the right direction... but I feel like y'all need to cool your jets.

No because it has reflections. A far-field measurement is only the response of the transducer.

There's a couple ways to do far-field measurements:
1. Suspend the speaker and mic in air far enough above the ground so that the ground reflection arrives after the direct signal.
2. Use a ground plane measurement technique outdoors or in a space large enough that any reflections arrive after the direct signal.

A room mic is completely different and it will have the room reflections, which are desirable and give the mix "space". It will also have the response of the mic "baked in".
Thanks. It just seemed to me that, alongside the room reflections and the mic response, the contribution from the speaker and cab would be more analogous to far-field than close miced. I thought a room mic IR might be considered informally analogous to a far-field response contaminated with room reflections and mic response.

Thanks. It just seemed to me that, alongside the room reflections and the mic response, the contribution from the speaker and cab would be more analogous to far-field than close miced. I thought a room mic IR might be considered informally analogous to a far-field response contaminated with room reflections and mic response.
Yes, that's one way to look at it. But, by definition, a far-field IR is not "contaminated".

Can it be programmed this way?
lets say you have 1000 empty IR spaces. If you put any IR beside FullRes, each IR will take up 1 space as of now. But when you use a FullRes IR it will not only take the inserted slot but also the next 15 and it will automatically delete if those spaces were occupied and it will rename all with the FULL res IRs name, or/also will color code those empty but for FullRes needed slots. And Axe Edit could maybe also send a warning like "this is a fullres IR and it will delete the next 15 IR slots. @FractalAudio would this work, make sense? I think no user would reject this.

Can it be programmed this way?
lets say you have 1000 empty IR spaces. If you put any IR beside FullRes, each IR will take up 1 space as of now. But when you use a FullRes IR it will not only take the inserted slot but also the next 15 and it will automatically delete if those spaces were occupied and it will rename all with the FULL res IRs name, or/also will color code those empty but for FullRes needed slots. And Axe Edit could maybe also send a warning like "this is a fullres IR and it will delete the next 15 IR slots. @FractalAudio would this work, make sense? I think no user would reject this.
Ahem…

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/aitr.176587/page-38#post-2147099

I'm actually relieved that this is the feature I'm missing from the mk1 and not something bigger. I'm not crazy about irs. I use cabs from the legacy bank. I don't even know what's new in the axe III. I was excited for the feature for headphones. I'm just glad it's not a new block or profiling block. If that were the case I'd probably upgrade even though I probably don't need whatever new thing it is anyway lol. I'm one of those guys that tries to get his tone back to the way it was as soon as a firmware changes it. I'm happy with my sound. It's a good place to be.

Then dont update?

Back
Top Bottom