AI generated music has taken a huge leap

AI's not going to put drummers out of work in its current form, that's for sure. But do you think the ability to create songs customized to a listener's preferences, much the way people can create custom art, could or will ultimately undermine interest in real artists to some degree?
Just as computer controlled embroidery machines commoditized embroidery, templated documents commoditized document graphic design, photo image processors commoditized converting photos into certain styles of art, and Napster/BearShare/LimeWire/KaZaa/BitTorrent/Apple Music commoditized music distribution, so is going to be the same with AI music production.

The ability to customize songs within minutes is something that no group of creative human musicians can compete with AI from a speed and cost of living perspective for the bulk of the market audience.

It's already happening with news and sports article writing. The press releases are scanned by AI and articles get published.

...It's already happening with news and sports article writing. The press releases are scanned by AI and articles get published.
Yes it is, and it's presently pretty crappy and you can tell it's AI garbage. Not that Wikipedia is my benchmark but they did just "downgrade C-Net's reliability grade" because of it. AI is taking music industry jobs already, as mentioned, and will do so more as it improves. It will lower costs and produce content that non-musicians find unobjectionable. Musicians will rightly descry it but the market for paid composition will shrink. That said, we're a long way from AI music with soul, and it's so great to see great players play; there can be no substitute. Creativity is human, and what AI is now is not intelligence, it's an algorithm trained on human works to regurgitate something sort of like what it ate. The actual working part of the AI is not analyzable per-se, it's a black box. You can't tweak that code and make Bach. It's not extensible outside its training set. It's not "intelligent" at all, not even close. But for those with no musical taste, it's good enough for the advertisement background.

It's useful, even in music. I just wish I could train it to clean out the cat's litter box instead of making art and music. Those programmers have their priorities backwards.

From the TOS for suno.ai:

"By using the Service or otherwise transmitting Submissions to us, you grant to Suno and our affiliates, successors, assigns, and designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, fully paid-up, sublicensable (directly and indirectly through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, store, modify, distribute, create derivative works based on, perform, display, communicate, transmit and otherwise make available any and all Content (in whole or in part) in any media now known or hereafter developed, in connection with the provision, use, monetization, promotion, marketing, and improvement of our products and services, including the Service."

It seems as if anything original you submit to suno.ai becomes their IP. Am I interpreting that correctly?

Do you feel the same way about AI art?
Yes, I do. It can be an awesome tool to help a creative person without all the technical skills to create their vision, or as an expedient. I occasionally use ChatGPT to summarize background information that I then edit to the message I'm trying to craft; and I buy books made of paper written by humans. I sometimes use the bandmate feature in EZDrummer 3 that synthesizes beats to the riff I played that I then ask a drummer to take over and make his/her own. I've made images using Dall-E, or even Photoshop, but I am also a photographer and buy art made by artists. It can be fun and helpful in the creative process. It also has a very awful side, or sides. The deepfake stuff is a curse and it's going to get even weirder in a hurry, but it's not going away.

The only AI I am interested in is when/if Cliff develops an AI for the Axe FX so we can from Axe Edit ask « I would like the sound of the lead guitar in the record of that album « and the ace will build the preset

This would be cool for amateur like me
We can do almost any sounds right now but sometime it needs some deeper knowledge that I don’t have (not in using the AXE as I am in since the Ultra days, but in regards the rig/settings needed for a specific artist/song without spending hours on searching the web)

Other than that I think music is much more than chords sequence, melody etc.. it is alchemy that touch your emotions
AI is great technical and will get better and better but a machine hardly provides emotions

Any of you ever heard of Suno.ai? It's an AI music generator I found the other day, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with the progress that AI is making in generating music from scratch. All of the following were made using AI based on a simple text prompt, though I did write some of the lyrics. Sound quality isn't hi-fi yet, but that's just a matter of time, in my opinion.

What say you?

Thanks for sharing this - very interesting. Would you mind showing us one of your prompts

From the TOS for suno.ai:

"By using the Service or otherwise transmitting Submissions to us, you grant to Suno and our affiliates, successors, assigns, and designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, fully paid-up, sublicensable (directly and indirectly through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, store, modify, distribute, create derivative works based on, perform, display, communicate, transmit and otherwise make available any and all Content (in whole or in part) in any media now known or hereafter developed, in connection with the provision, use, monetization, promotion, marketing, and improvement of our products and services, including the Service."

It seems as if anything original you submit to suno.ai becomes their IP. Am I interpreting that correctly?
I could be wrong, but the way I interpret it is that you grant the company the right to use your original content in a variety of ways without requiring your permission or providing compensation to you. My impression is you retain ownership of the original content (e.g. lyrics).

Last edited:
Yes, I do. It can be an awesome tool to help a creative person without all the technical skills to create their vision, or as an expedient. I occasionally use ChatGPT to summarize background information that I then edit to the message I'm trying to craft; and I buy books made of paper written by humans. I sometimes use the bandmate feature in EZDrummer 3 that synthesizes beats to the riff I played that I then ask a drummer to take over and make his/her own. I've made images using Dall-E, or even Photoshop, but I am also a photographer and buy art made by artists. It can be fun and helpful in the creative process. It also has a very awful side, or sides. The deepfake stuff is a curse and it's going to get even weirder in a hurry, but it's not going away.
I ask because you mentioned that AI music is, for those with no musical taste, good enough for the advertisement background. Does that mean you think AI art is, for those with no artistic taste, only good enough for the advertisement background?

Last edited:
AI is taking music industry jobs already, as mentioned, and will do so more as it improves.

It has replaced drummers here, though only because drummers are loud, space inefficient, and not terribly cooperative. AI drummers have fixed two of those problems, but are still not terribly cooperative. Try to get Logic's built-in drummer to play a surf beat....

It's useful, even in music. I just wish I could train it to clean out the cat's litter box instead of making art and music. Those programmers have their priorities backwards.

There are bots that claim to do that, and all you have to do is reload supplies and take out bagged "stuff", but I haven't tried one. Don't have a litter box any more....

Humanity sprinting headlong into unchecked technological advancement has ever been the status quo. Those who command the resulting tools survive.

So the question isn't "how do we stop AI," it's "how do we harness it?" How do we maximize its utility to the many instead of the few?

IOW, AI is not going to replace you; someone using AI will.

Back to Depends? :p

Had to rehome Dora a few years ago with a friend in the SD area, as the OL is allergic, and she and her doc ganged up on me rather than try to find a solution that would allow her to tolerate the cat allergy. Couldn't find anyone that would take the OL. :rolleyes:

Humanity sprinting headlong into unchecked technological advancement has ever been the status quo. Those who command the resulting tools survive.

So the question isn't "how do we stop AI," it's "how do we harness it?" How do we maximize its utility to the many instead of the few?

Someone who could be classified as 'a bad actor' and/or 'not too smart' will use AI to really F* things up, and faster than you can even realize it happened or what caused it. All it would need to do is launch one nuke, and all the automated responses would kick in. AI replacing us is not the concern. AI turning the planet into a radioactive cinder is....

Had to rehome Dora a few years ago with a friend in the SD area, as the OL is allergic, and she and her doc ganged up on me rather than try to find a solution that would allow her to tolerate the cat allergy. Couldn't find anyone that would take the OL. :rolleyes:
That must've been hard.

I think Mr. Carter pretty much sums it up. I've been thinking about what practical things could be done to check the "headlong into unchecked..." part. I see there is legislation in draft, in the US and EU particularly, about the limiting or controlling the source material used to train the models. To me, the ease of access to the source training material at a massive scale is the root of it. ChatGPT wasn't profoundly new as a LLM method, the enormous training data set was what set it apart and showed what it could do. So, is better control of access to source material the way to get a handle on it? Opt-in required for all training data? Maybe once someone infringes on a power like Taylor Swift and she has standing in court, she might crush it with her influence and legal army. But if the labels and copywright holders are complicit, then I guess it's open-season.

Back
Top Bottom