AI generated music has taken a huge leap

Jason Scott

Fractal Fanatic
Any of you ever heard of Suno.ai? It's an AI music generator I found the other day, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with the progress that AI is making in generating music from scratch. All of the following were made using AI based on a simple text prompt, though I did write some of the lyrics. Sound quality isn't hi-fi yet, but that's just a matter of time, in my opinion.

What say you?

Last edited:
AI music will replace musicians very soon for certain things. it's inevitable.

as musicians, we need to learn how to use this technology and stay needed and relevant.

it's the creation of the drum machine all over again, this time with more than drums. but we've incorporated drum machines over the years. we can learn to do the same with this sorta thing.

AI music will replace musicians very soon for certain things. it's inevitable.

as musicians, we need to learn how to use this technology and stay needed and relevant.

it's the creation of the drum machine all over again, this time with more than drums. but we've incorporated drum machines over the years. we can learn to do the same with this.
We need to get serious and combat this technology not embrace it. We need to be better.

I’m not saying we have to support it, I’m saying it will happen no matter what so learn how to use it to our advantage before it replaces us. There’s no way we’ll kill it because I’m sure record companies will make a ton of money publishing this stuff alone.

We have to beat them to the punch.

I think it is time to start setting up the AI cover bands! I will start with an AI cover band called "Animal Irrelevance"!! I think the interaction of musicians with an audience (live performances) will be one of the last straws to cling to, but even that will probably be indiscernible from complex robots 20 years from now ;~((

I like seeing a band with musicians doing their thing and playing instruments. The new generations though are into EDM where there are no traditional musicians and the DJ is the star. Some of them make very good money too. That music does nothing for me but that’s just me being a old guy. The writing is on the wall though. Glad I grew up when I did. EDM is at least programmed by humans. AI music? F that.

I will never be on board in any way, shape, or form when it comes to AI and anything related to the creative process. What are we doing???

I’m not saying we have to support it, I’m saying it will happen no matter what...
Yeah, of course it will with that attitude Chris. Do you think it's a good thing, in a music context?

I don't even like (and will never buy) cars with shit like "Lane avoidance technology." It's shit like that that dumbs people down.

Tech that enhances productivity and quality-of-life, I'm cool with. But when it starts to replace a human's own abilities, it goes against my better judgement. And as I wrote that, I realize it's a but of a contradiction. It's hard to even state where I personally try to draw my own line.

Now, if humanity in general could keep pace with ever-advancing technology, and keep getting smarter and smarter as an entire planet, so to speak, and be used in a way that wouldn't make people irrelevant in the process, I'd be all for that. But that just doesn't seem possible, especially as the population continues to grow exponentially.

Just out of curiosity, what would beating them to the punch potentially look like, in your opinion?
using it WITH musicians, integrating it. just like drummers did with a drum machine. i don't know how yet as everything is new and forming.

drum machines could have replaced drummers completely. for some small gigs, they can't ever have real drums in the room, but people do "replace" drummers with the drum machine when necessary. but drummers are still around because they have a different function, and drummers have also integrated drum machines/sequencers, midi, etc. into their performances showing we still need drummers and both can coexist.

Yeah, of course it will with that attitude Chris. Do you think it's a good thing, in a music context?
no it's not a good thing. but how would all the musicians in the world stop someone making a website with AI music generation on it?

film photographers hated digital cameras because everyone could take pictures more easily, but photographers still have jobs because of their skill.
drum machines (yes again i know) threatened drummers being needed, but drummers till have jobs because of their skill.
artists hated digital art because anyone could do it without buying all the paint and supplies, but artists still have jobs because of their skill.
libraries have become a thing of the past due to search engines and wikis.

this is just another technology leap and it's gonna happen as progress marches on. fight all you want, ignore it, and all that. but one day in the future every session might start by asking every player to create an AI scratch track and then the real musicians need to incorporate it. if you don't know how, you could be left in the dust.

of course we can all do what we need to. painters can use paint, film photographers can still use film, and musicians can still make music the old fashioned way too. but if the professional music industry shifts to always incorporating AI and that's a requirement to get paid, well, that's what it is.

i think we're years away from that as this stuff all develops.

i don't like it at all. AI these days isn't GENERATING anything it's COPYING previous human creation, and stitching it all together. it's STEALING hands down. some AI is given prompts and info from a single creator and it branches from that, but the latest big AI pushes all are "trained" on work that is copyrighted, but shown on the internet or in search databases and brings those elements together for a new piece of work.

i'm in some art circles, and an artist found an AI generated artwork that had like 70% of her main ideas, colors, and more in some random image list she was browsing through. it was NO DOUBT her art when she showed them side by side.

i am not on board with AI at all. but bigger powers are shoving it down our throats. it's already in movies replacing art from artists. it's already replacing voice actors. it's soon going to COPY a small group of extras for movies, and those extras will be in every movie from then on so they don't have to audition and hire people anymore.

it's up to us in each industry to defend our importance. the money people will want to work with AI, but hey i know this musician who uses AI and is really good with it so you can actually hire him to get a better result. etc etc.

again not all of us will have to use it in our day to day. but the big professional work just might require it at some point in the future and eventually that trickles down into the smaller parts of the industry. it sucks. it's here. we can yell at the internet or incorporate it if we need to and not get left behind.

using it WITH musicians, integrating it. just like drummers did with a drum machine. i don't know how yet as everything is new and forming. drum machines could have replaced drummers completely.
AI's not going to put drummers out of work in its current form, that's for sure. But do you think the ability to create songs customized to a listener's preferences, much the way people can create custom art, could or will ultimately undermine interest in real artists to some degree?

for some small gigs, they can't ever have real drums in the room, but people do "replace" drummers with the drum machine when necessary. but drummers are still around because they have a different function, and drummers have also integrated drum machines/sequencers, midi, etc. into their performances showing we still need drummers and both can coexist.
In the case of drum machines, you're right. They have their uses, but real drummers are still in demand. So, in your opinion, do you see any difference between what a drum machine does and what the AI (the one that made the samples I posted) is doing?

But do you think the ability to create songs customized to a listener's preferences, much the way people can create custom art, could or will ultimately undermine interest in real artists to some degree?
i think i understand the question... and yes, i think AI will replace real artists in some professional situations. if a random record label could produce music interesting enough to the average music listener for just the fee of the AI and not studio time, engineers producers, musicians, etc, you bet that's going to happen. musicians make them the money currently, so they have to pay them. get rid of musicians and still get the product? probably sounds like pure winning to some.
In the case of drum machines, you're right. They have their uses, but real drummers are still in demand. So, in your opinion, do you see any difference between what a drum machine does and what the AI (the one that made the samples I posted) is doing?
a drum machine creates just part of the equation for what we call a song.

this created the whole song. so yes there is a difference between a full-song-creating-AI and a drum machine.

AI's not going to put drummers out of work in its current form, that's for sure.
Why? Sampled libraries have already taken over so many records real drummers could have been on.
Now you don't really need to sit with the library or move dots around the screen, just tell the AI to build an AABA track in the style of James Brown with the sound of Dennis Chambers, give it a tempo and maybe a name of the reference soon - boom, you have your drum track in an instant
Once AI will be able to adjust on the fly using voice recognition - getting instructions on the fly - oh, we are done
It's not like light years away, it's just around the corner

i think i understand the question... and yes, i think AI will replace real artists in some professional situations. if a random record label could produce music interesting enough to the average music listener for just the fee of the AI and not studio time, engineers producers, musicians, etc, you bet that's going to happen. musicians make them the money currently, so they have to pay them. get rid of musicians and still get the product? probably sounds like pure winning to some.

a drum machine creates just part of the equation for what we call a song.

this created the whole song. so yes there is a difference between a full-song-creating-AI and a drum machine.
What would you say the chances are that record companies face stiff competition from commercial AI music generators developed by third-parties?

Why? Sampled libraries have already taken over so many records real drummers could have been on.
Now you don't really need to sit with the library or move dots around the screen, just tell the AI to build an AABA track in the style of James Brown with the sound of Dennis Chambers, give it a tempo and maybe a name of the reference soon - boom, you have your drum track in an instant
Once AI will be able to adjust on the fly using voice recognition - getting instructions on the fly - oh, we are done
It's not like light years away, it's just around the corner
Oh, I think it may happen eventually. I was just saying I don't see it happening in its current form.

Back
Top Bottom