AI generated music has taken a huge leap

And the people that makes 100% AI generated music, will they call themselves "musicians", like some arrogant DJs do?

Probably, because arrogant a**holes are everywhere.
Screenshot%202024-03-03%20at%201.31.24%E2%80%AFAM.png

You remember Milli Vanilli, right?

And what is worst: will people respect them and adore them as much as they venerate DJs?

Also, probably, because sheep....

Apologies in advance, this turned out a bit long.

AI generated music, like AI generated text is really nothing but a "stochastic parrot." AI is not remotely "intelligent" in any human context. It's a black box that spits out something sometimes not entirely unlike what you asked for, sometimes even interesting. The algorithm is trained on the creative works of humans. At some point, I suppose, it collapses on itself when taken too far. It will be used by lazy and cheap productions to ape their way out of paying musicians for jingles and other background stuff that will cost jobs for the folks who do that. It'll eat into the soundtrack market too, probably.

The amazing number of people who seem able to enjoy monotonous and musically-barren audio is one of the many things the internet has shown. I still can't understand why anyone would go to a "concert" of DJ's. But they do, in huge numbers. I suppose they'll go to AI generated "shows" as well, at least while the hype lasts. Who knows, it could lead to an entire "metaverse" of virtual...sorry I just threw up.

Anyway, it's a thing. At best, it's a tool. I don't think it's the end of music and musicians. I think enough people really enjoy live bands to keep that around forever. Adapting to change is essential in every profession, and the robots have come for a lot of jobs. Consolidated control of the big-money music production is worse than AI. The death of local radio is worse than AI. Over-produced performances and multi-hundred [currency] ticket prices hurt music access and the growth of the industry. The high venue costs and the price of access & corruption in places hurt the propagation of live performance and all together really hurt the ability of new bands to get discovered. Enter online streaming platforms to replace the old ways.

The only way out is through.

Musicians, venues, communities all need to support musicians if they value it. I moved from LA to small city in Belgium about 5 years ago. My teenage daughter happens to be a pretty damned good singer and has a band. A bunch of teenagers. Because the community values arts and treats youngsters as human beings, they have had a surprising amount of paid gigs and invitations to community concerts. Real stages, real audiences. They've been written-up in the local press, which then leads to new invitations. No kick-backs to the sound-man, no creepy s&!%. It's frankly amazing. There are also a LOT of really good musicians in their cohort because it's valued here, and even the young one get access. There are "youth houses" dedicated to providing rehearsal space and performances, where FOH and recording is also done in order to teach the next generation of audio technicians. It's thriving here because of it but "it takes a village." It's not for free. The AI would never be invited.

As I sit in my room with my Les Paul plugged into an artificial Soldano, Marshall, or Fender amp I am a happy chappy. The Les Paul is genuine and 100% real, I am real (I think)(apart from some metal parts in my leg/hip/pelvis) but my amp sound, my speaker cab simulation, and effects may as well be AI as the sound is being generated from a very nice box sat on the floor called an FM3. Fake sounds.

So, to put my neck on the line are we any different calling AI to those (more so in the past perhaps) who cringed at the thought of playing through some sort of "digital" piece of erm... rubbish? Most of us moved with time from valve amps to where we are today. Music whether we like it or not will move on.

Here in the UK we are being told that our cars pollute blah blah blah and that we should drive electric milk floats. I love petrol or diesel engines and you could say that I am a stick in the mud. Set in my ways. I hate the idea of going electric. In the same way years ago that I loved my Marshall valve heads. Or combos and never thought that I would ever be without them. These days I can walk into a music shop and walk straight past the amplifier section without casting a glance at anything. Because I have gone Fractal.

Pop music may as well go artificial as most of it in my mind is sh*t. :) But I think if a person, a band or group who have genuine talent come along they will have a future. Real talent will always have a place in music. Real talent will always shine.

Away from fake music I am for AI for developments in modeling as I am certain it will happen. I used to have (now in the loft) a Line 6 amplifi pedal thing that I could play a piece of music through its app and the amplifi pedal would attempt to create the guitar tone of the said song. It was a good laugh to play with but I hated having to use a tablet for the app connection which would never stay connected for long. If Fractal came along with a similar system my bank balance would shrink immediately. Image if you will doing what Line 6 did and playing an mp3 file into your Fractal and instantly have that guitar tone, for me it would make me want to play more.

I think @Jason Scott pieces of music at the start of all this sound great.

I’m not saying we have to support it, I’m saying it will happen no matter what so learn how to use it to our advantage before it replaces us. There’s no way we’ll kill it because I’m sure record companies will make a ton of money publishing this stuff alone.

We have to beat them to the punch.
There is no advantage. None.

Just listen to what op posted.

Musicians like us mortal guitar players will just become old strange guys for the next generations.

Music made by human not gonna disappear for sure but will slowly turn into a hobby only things and a just a niche on social platforms.

Music industry don’t need us anymore, it’s just a matter of time.

3 years ago all of this was just science fiction, now it’s a reality. Imagine what will it be in the next five years.

I’m not that old (45) but I really hate what the world is becoming.

Weird coincidence - I've spent most of my day today listening to different pianists playing Chopin (the best ones, I'm talking Rachmaninoff-level geniuses), and here's what I have to say a few hours later. At some point I've found this and stopped my search after hearing this

I've had this on repeat for a good couple of hours, and had tears in my eyes for the most part of this time. Somehow it was this particular rendition that really touched me

We are light years from AI being able to pull off anything like that, regarding both composition and performance aspects at the same time. Yes, with the set of ideal motors and artificial hands it can repeat what Chopin composed and how Lugansky played it, but compose something like this? Or play it differently each night but still being spot on? Come on. Nobody knows how musicians do it - who will program algorithm to teach AI to do it?

The reason is simple - to play music you need to listen to it. Even more if you want to write music.
You need to understand the idea behind the music, you need to really understand what you or composer - or both - have to say
You need to hear the instrument, be in touch with your thoughts and emotions. That's the hardest part right there.
Not just putting a few notes together - let's be honest, that's how we improvise most of the time anyway, noodling over some simple backing track.
But listening comes first - you hear and you react, adjust, lead. AI cannot do it. Probably never will be able to do it in a proper manner.

I also don't agree that musicians are not getting better. I mean young guys have all bits of info they need to become awesome, no more tens of years trying to decode what Holdsworth played.
Then let's not forget people simply LOVE to play, so this will also not go away even if everything on the radio is AI-generated.
And last but not least, not everything on the radio is a good music TBH, but people listen to what other people have to "say", not looking for a perfect chord or whatever. What AI has to say? Charisma is a word nobody can properly explain but it is a hard fact it exists. Nobody just knows how it works. You need to put people insecurities into AI so it starts resonating with people.

So I've changed my mind about AI being a threat to live musicians. Not any time soon, not even close.
People go to bars not to listen to perfect rendition - that's why we have radio or DJs. This is covered, and people still prefer live bands when drunk. They could have listened to original songs but they are not doing that.
Yes, some talented people will reduce their composing/recording costs with the help of those tools once they are really developed.
But we see to make big eyes when slight eyebrow raise is warranted. AI it not really a threat, there is no actual "I" in "AI".

Last edited:
A.I. is a portal to demonic entities and I choose not to expose myself to its negative influence. I advise everyone to do the same, as you "play" around with A.I. image generation and music, you are consuming it's corrupting coding directly into your DNA and spirit. It ain't a good thing and is not "inevitable ".

Weird coincidence - I've spent most of my day today listening to different pianists playing Chopin (the best ones, I'm talking Rachmaninoff-level geniuses), and here's what I have to say a few hours later. At some point I've found this and stopped my search after hearing this

I've had this on repeat for a good couple of hours, and had tears in my eyes for the most part of this time. Somehow it was this particular rendition that really touched me

We are light years from AI being able to pull off anything like that, regarding both composition and performance aspects at the same time. Yes, with the set of ideal motors and artificial hands it can repeat what Chopin composed and how Lugansky played it, but compose something like this? Or play it differently each night but still being spot on? Come on. Nobody knows how musicians do it - who will program algorithm to teach AI to do it?

The reason is simple - to play music you need to listen to it. Even more if you want to write music.
You need to understand the idea behind the music, you need to really understand what you or composer - or both - have to say
You need to hear the instrument, be in touch with your thoughts and emotions. That's the hardest part right there.
Not just putting a few notes together - let's be honest, that's how we improvise most of the time anyway, noodling over some simple backing track.
But listening comes first - you hear and you react, adjust, lead. AI cannot do it. Probably never will be able to do it in a proper manner.

I also don't agree that musicians are not getting better. I mean young guys have all bits of info they need to become awesome, no more tens of years trying to decode what Holdsworth played.
Then let's not forget people simply LOVE to play, so this will also not go away even if everything on the radio is AI-generated.
And last but not least, not everything on the radio is a good music TBH, but people listen to what other people have to "say", not looking for a perfect chord or whatever. What AI has to say? Charisma is a word nobody can properly explain but it is a hard fact it exists. Nobody just knows how it works. You need to put people insecurities into AI so it starts resonating with people.

So I've changed my mind about AI being a threat to live musicians. Not any time soon, not even close.
People go to bars not to listen to perfect rendition - that's why we have radio or DJs. This is covered, and people still prefer live bands when drunk. They could have listened to original songs but they are not doing that.
Yes, some talented people will reduce their composing/recording costs with the help of those tools once they are really developed.
But we see to make big eyes when slight eyebrow raise is warranted. AI it not really a threat, there is no actual "I" in "AI".

What a coincidence. This morning I was listening to his interpretation of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2. That concert is a culmination of the most profound human sentiments. On the antipodes of A"I"

I can see commercial jingles and TV soundtracks being completely AI soon.
Heck, I can see the entire commercial being AI generated followed by TV then movies soon.

One reason I don't think AI will end real music is because AI models have to be trained on vast quantities of human generated content to continue improving. This is true for all large language models like ChatGPT, Gemini, etc. It seems to me that unless they find a way around the issue, musicians are safe, at least for a little while.

Personally, I'm a consumer as much as a musician, and making music, at least for me, is really more a means to an end; I just want to hear something cool. Something that makes me feel good. If that primarily comes from a human, great. But if I hear something that tickles my fancy from AI, I'm fine with that, too. In fact, as a musician, my writing is fueled by inspiration. If an AI is able to generate music that potentially inspires me, then that also benefits me as a song writer. But that's just my take on it.

Last edited:
As I sit in my room with my Les Paul plugged into an artificial Soldano, Marshall, or Fender amp I am a happy chappy. The Les Paul is genuine and 100% real, I am real (I think)(apart from some metal parts in my leg/hip/pelvis) but my amp sound, my speaker cab simulation, and effects may as well be AI as the sound is being generated from a very nice box sat on the floor called an FM3. Fake sounds.

So, to put my neck on the line are we any different calling AI to those (more so in the past perhaps) who cringed at the thought of playing through some sort of "digital" piece of erm... rubbish? Most of us moved with time from valve amps to where we are today. Music whether we like it or not will move on.

Fractal gear replaces hardware, some of which is rare and expensive and otherwise unattainable. AI is replacing people....

AI in art will lead to huge disinterest. Can be the most beautiful music or art you've ever experienced. If it comes from a computer (and this fact is not hidden by a human dummy band) then there's just no social connection.

Keep finding it ironic that we use computers for art, and are left with the boring tasks for ourselves. Well done humans 😀

After seeing this, I've played around with suno ai a little. Seems to me you'll still need a creative person to really dig in and come up with something interesting. It's very primitive now but will certainly advance. Have writers block? It could be used to generate ideas and have a human take a song to the next level. I definitely see it being used by advertisers for jingles.

So...anyone not concerned about AI across really all industries is willfully (or maybe ignorantly) turning their head. There is absolutely no question AI is already being used in many creative industries including music production. What it is doing currently is reducing the amount of labor and knowledge to produce a finished product, and it will continue to the obvious endgame with really no complex prompting other than "write me a new song" as the AI will already understand your preferences.

The one and only deterrent is monetization as there are limits on the ability to copyright AI generated music, but clever people will absolutely find a way. Given how little value people place on music already, I don't look forward to a future where it's value falls even further. I gave up the idea of making much money directly from music decades ago and do so purely out of love of creating music and playing the guitar, but I still want a world where others can live that life. Maybe I'm wrong and we see a huge swing from audiences seeking authenticity and a return to localized music scenes focused on live performance, but I doubt it. AI is going to drive a paradigm shift in society just like the creation of the internet did. I just hope we can collectively as a society make some better choices this time around than last...

Back
Top Bottom