Acoustic guitar Body UltraRes

I found a main resonances below middle C, at G# (208 Hz) and also the G# an octave lower (104 Hz). So using a PEQ in series with these 2 frequencies notched out (Q set to 10, Gain -12dB) makes this quite usable alone. I use it with the Tube Pre sim and tones adjusted for a balanced overall tone.

That's very useful info. The Q value too.
Tried to detect this myself using a peaking filter but I didn't get this far.

I just set Q to the highest possible value. Initially, I set gain high for a peak, and swept the frequency to find the resonances. Once found, set gain low to notch out the resonance.

i used to use this ir in my piezo patch and also some of the fishman aura ir's, but now i use a tonematch of an acoustic instead.

guitar > compressor > tube pre > tma > peq > reverb

sounds absolutely great. i used this youtube vid to tonematch to - Gibson Brad Paisley J-45 Guitarist Magazine HD - YouTube

here's a quick recording. this is a patch for live use, so i've used the peq to filter out some of the very low frequencies and also add a tiny bit more top end, so it cuts a little better

edit: just listening back to that short clip and the original youtube vid, i might add some of that bottom end back in...sounds a bit thin!

it does sound like an acoustic in a room with a mic on it about 3 feet away though, doesn't it :)

Could you post your patch please? I'm not getting good results with this method. I think I'm setting things wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

...now i use a tonematch of an acoustic instead.

edit: just listening back to that short clip and the original youtube vid, i might add some of that bottom end back in...sounds a bit thin!
For unaccompanied work, maybe. I learned the hard way to keep that low end out of an acoustic tone match in a mix. It really clutters things up. Likes to feed back, too.

here's one I did, that I posted elsewhere but I'll repost it here as well.

ok, here's some really sub par noodling just to get you something to hear. This is done on an Ibanez RGD electric guitar in Drop-A tuning with my pickup selector in the middle, so it's both my neck and bridge pickup at the same time. It's the only pickup choice on my guitar that sounds good with this IR, at least to my ears. This is a guitar designed for metal, I'm actually pretty shocked how good this sounds as an acoustic lol.

My Preset: View attachment 19968

sorry for the noisy recording lol.

rsf1977_again, that sounds amazingly like a nylon string classical or flamenco guitar. How could that be if the tone match sample was a steel string acoustic?

Well, I've been tinkering around with with the pitch shifters--lowering the pitch harmonies and such. I also
installed the ultra res version of gtrbody.syx. Lowering the Pitch Voice harmonys help make it sound
more guitary and less moogy. So, what it sounds like now is a guitar with a lot of reverb, actually sounds nice.
But it still doesn't have that violin tone. Anybody know what I would tweak in the pitch shifters to make it
sound more violiny and less guitary? I'm going to play around some more, but I would much appreciate
some hints as to how to get that beautiful violin sound. Thanks, all.

Well, I've been tinkering around with with the pitch shifters--lowering the pitch harmonies and such. I also
installed the ultra res version of gtrbody.syx. Lowering the Pitch Voice harmonys help make it sound
more guitary and less moogy. So, what it sounds like now is a guitar with a lot of reverb, actually sounds nice.
But it still doesn't have that violin tone. Anybody know what I would tweak in the pitch shifters to make it
sound more violiny and less guitary? I'm going to play around some more, but I would much appreciate
some hints as to how to get that beautiful violin sound. Thanks, all.

...errr...ummm...wrong thread?

rsf1977_again, that sounds amazingly like a nylon string classical or flamenco guitar. How could that be if the tone match sample was a steel string acoustic?
Well, he played it on a magnetic pickup, so it's not going to sound exactly like an acoustic. :) I hear some steel in that recording, though.

Here is an Ultra-Res version of the venerable gtrbody IR. This will only work on FW13 and beyond.

View attachment 19611

Hi Javajunkie,

I'm quite new to FAS and just recently dabbled with using IR's. I downloaded Simeone's violin preset and it says to use the gtrbody IR. I have managed to load the non-Ultra res version. But I can't seem to load the ultra-res version above. Please see the attached screenshot of the warning message.

I'm using CabLab 3 to load the IRs to my Axe Fx 2 mk 2.

Thanks in advance. Shoutouts to Simeone for the great presets! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 4.08.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 4.08.20 AM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, AFAIK Cab-Lab 3 can not load UltraRes .syx files (only .ir or .wav is supported for UR responses). I would recommend using either Axe-Edit's Axe-Manage Cabs (under the Tools menu), or Fractal-Bot, to send the IR to your AFX. The main use for Cab-Lab is to do custom mixes (and quickly audition/transfer those custom mixes on your AFX). You do not need to use it to transfer IRs solely, there are better tools for that job.

Yeah, AFAIK Cab-Lab 3 can not load UltraRes .syx files (only .ir or .wav is supported for UR responses). I would recommend using either Axe-Edit's Axe-Manage Cabs (under the Tools menu), or Fractal-Bot, to send the IR to your AFX. The main use for Cab-Lab is to do custom mixes (and quickly audition/transfer those custom mixes on your AFX). You do not need to use it to transfer IRs solely, there are better tools for that job.

Thanks for the clarification. I was able to import it through Axe-Edit.

Back
Top Bottom