About the Axe-Fx II XL

The backwards comparability is another thing as far as an XL user creating a preset and not being able to use it on the original. Maybe as a backup unit it would be a good idea to have? :O

Yeah, I was disappointed with that too; I intended to keep my Mark II as a backup/gigging unit and use the XL for recording. But this is going to make that problematic.

The backwards compatibility was critical for me as I needed to be able to program at home and load presets into 2 stationary rigs at our church campuses running Mark IIs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, i think thats a given for me, compatibility. But i did read in the wiki that they are and also i've seen people mention they are compatable only when going from mk1/mk2 into the XL via axe-edit but not vice versa.

...i've seen people mention they are compatable only when going from mk1/mk2 into the XL via axe-edit but not vice versa.
True. You can build presets in the XL that the MK1/MK2 couldn't handle, so the compatibility only goes one way.

Welp, at this point in time i'm still indecisive about getting the XL such a semi tough decision for some reason -__- lol i need more convincing.

I'm feeling a bit baited-and-switched at the moment - the promised "more instances of certain effects" is nowhere to be seen, and nobody's commenting about it.

That was the main reason I bough it.

I'm feeling a bit baited-and-switched at the moment - the promised "more instances of certain effects" is nowhere to be seen, and nobody's commenting about it.

That was the main reason I bough it.

Sounds like you and me need to exchange a few bucks and some equipment. You'll feel better..

...the promised "more instances of certain effects" is nowhere to be seen, and nobody's commenting about it.
"More instances of certain effects" is real. It's one of the main reasons that XL presets don't work on the MKI/MKII. Some effects can have four instances on the XL where you can only have two on the original box.

"More instances of certain effects" is real. It's one of the main reasons that XL presets don't work on the MKI/MKII. Some effects can have four instances on the XL where you can only have two on the original box.

Can you give me an example?

Can you give me an example?
I don't have an XL or the manual, so no, I can't give you an example. If you can tell me how any instances of each block are allowed, we can compare that against the II.

I don't have a II, so I can't compare, but I have 4 volume blocks in one of my presets on my XL... does that qualify as a difference?

I don't have a II, so I can't compare, but I have 4 volume blocks in one of my presets on my XL... does that qualify as a difference?
Nope. The MKI/II also allows four of those.

Section 1.2 of the manual has a list that tells you how many of each effect are allowed. You could compare that to what the XL allows.

the MKI/MKII Manual said:
Amp (×2) Filter (×4) Mixer (×2) Reverb (×2)
Cab (×2) Feedback Return Multiband Compressor (×2) Ring Modulator
Chorus (×2) Feedback Send Multi Delay (×2) Rotary (×2)
Compressor (×2) Flanger (×2) Tremolo/Panner (×2) 3-Voice Synth (×2)
Crossover (×2) Formant Parametric EQ (×4) Tone Matching
Delay (×2) Gate/Expander (×2) Phaser (×2) Vocoder
Drive (×2) Graphic EQ (×4) Pitch Shifter (×2) Volume/Pan (×4)
Effects Loop Looper Quad Chorus (×2) Wahwah (×2)
Enhancer Megatap Delay Resonator (×2) Shunt (36)

I may have to eat my words:

When those specs were written, Cliff told me that there is the possibility that because the XL has more memory per preset, that it could possibly accommodate a greater number of instances of a given effect. Nothing like that has been implemented yet, but I assume it someday could be. The CPU limit will always be the same.

So do the Trem/Pan blocks but what's the use if you can't assign a CC# to switch them.
I vote for freely assignable CC's to all blocks. Not just the ones the XL has in common with the II.

Well, i think this XL isn't really worth upgrading to. Seeing that everyone has mixed opinions and such lol Unless you guys can tell me why i SHOULD get it even though i have the original ;) lol i need help getting convinced!! hahah

I may have to eat my words:

Yeah, this reminds me of when I bought a Sharp Blu-Ray player about five years ago because it promised native Netflix streaming.

Turns out Netflix streaming was "planned for a future firmware update", even though it touted the feature right on the packaging.

Regarding XL effect changes:
The XL supports X/Y for the Compressor, Gate, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, Tremolo and Mixer blocks.
From:http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/85193-axe-ii-xl-preset-extras.html

Regarding Fan Noise...
The XL I have is super quiet compared to my Axe Fx II original (sorry don't have a Mk II). I can barely notice it's on. I have it in a 4RU SKB rack, so that might help with the noise. I swapped my original II with a quieter fan (Top Motor DF126015BL), however that is still considerably louder than the XL. Maybe the XL and latest II now share the same fan?

Back
Top Bottom