About the Axe-Fx II XL

I once played with a 44 Magnum and a Boss Heavy Metal pedal into a 4x12 cab, It was some of the Fattest Guitar TONE I've ever Had!

Question : can i shoot a Tonematch block (of my real amp) on XL , save it in Axe Edit and then load this TM block on my Axe II ?

Question : can i shoot a Tonematch block (of my real amp) on XL , save it in Axe Edit and then load this TM block on my Axe II ?
No, the XL data is unreadable on the II.
But you can save your TM data to an IR slot on your XL then export the IR with fractalbot or AxeEdit or whatever then send it to a II.

The issue of allocating more memory to the individual preset size in the XL seems very unclear, especially given that the processing capacity is the same. I presume that if you save an Axe II preset into an XL, it will automatically require more memory because certain effects in the XL patch will have X/Y alternate states wheres in the Axe II, they only have one state.

This seems logical but will that same preset then use up more processing capacity because of it's larger size? This could actually mean that the XL is not able to run patches that may run ok in the Axe II because they will overload the processing capacity.

A friend of mine has an XL and we're meeting to exchange certain patches from my Axe II and we were wondering how this is going to play out as some of mine are quite high on the CPU use.

Having multiple X/Y states doesn't involve much of a CPU hit. It's still the same effect block; you can just load in a different set of parameter values.

Maybe, but what's the point of allocating more memory to the XL preset if the processor is the same, I don't really understand the logic of that. You will not be able to run a bigger preset on the XL than you can on the Axe II.

Maybe, but what's the point of allocating more memory to the XL preset if the processor is the same, I don't really understand the logic of that. You will not be able to run a bigger preset on the XL than you can on the Axe II.

X/Y states use more preset memory since you need to save parameters for each.

Thanks Cliff, that's what I thought. But going back to my original question, if a preset is copied from an Axe II over to an XL unit, would both units run the same preset at the same processor load, or would the XL be running at a higher load because of the extra X/Y states available?

Thanks Cliff, that's what I thought. But going back to my original question, if a preset is copied from an Axe II over to an XL unit, would both units run the same preset at the same processor load, or would the XL be running at a higher load because of the extra X/Y states available?

X/Y states don't add any processor overhead. It's simply an extra set of parameters. Think of it as a preset within a preset.

Having multiple X/Y states doesn't involve much of a CPU hit. It's still the same effect block; you can just load in a different set of parameter values.

Switching between X and Y can impact CPU usage. For example when the Reverb type in X is a [edit] Spring reverb, and the type in Y is a Studio reverb.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the patient explanation Cliff - I think I've got it now. I'll be seeing an XL in the flesh later on so I'll be able to see for myself.

Switching between X and Y can impact CPU usage. For example when the Reverb type in X is a plate reverb, and the type in Y is a Studio reverb.
Didn't know that. I thought a given block ate a chunk of CPU, and that was that. How much of a CPU difference is ther between plate and studio reverbs?

Didn't know that. I thought a given block ate a chunk of CPU, and that was that. How much of a CPU difference is ther between plate and studio reverbs?

Quite a lot IIRC (edit: I meant: spring reverb). Not near my Axe-Fx right now.
Lots of variation in other effect blocks too. I.e. the difference between Pedal Comp and Studio Comp.

Last edited:
i'm sure this has been answered already but can i just ask, could it get to the point where the mark 2s are maxed out and firmware updates would apply only to the XL models?

Back
Top Bottom