9.02 Amp Model Poll

9.02 Amp Model Poll

• I like both the clean and high-gain models better than 9.00

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yek said:
I've seen people (including me) write that the Axe-Fx equivalents of their real amps were identitical. I've seen statements that frequency curves were identical. I've seen people who complained about lack of sparkling highs being being told that it wasn't so.

That was the greatest problem with these kind of responses. It's one thing to have propellerheads, and I mean that in a good way, to tout the data and say "this is the way it is as far as the data is concerned". No problem with this at all. But the "being told that was not so" part really rubbed people the wrong way. Why? Because our ears told us "screw the data, something's not right".

The happy ending is that Cliff listened, re-checked the data after using the analog data collectors on both side of his head, and gave us 9.02. The poll results speak for themselves.

So most folks seem to liek the 9.02 update but would any of you mind doing something? Do a direct comparison of the Euro 2 model 9.0 to 9.2.
What do you think?

I used this model extensively before, but it is no longer usefull to me in 9.2

It sang in 9.0, and im sitting here tweaking to no avail in 9.2 All the squish joy of the model is gone.

Can someone throw some insight onto those two models after comparing them directly?
~mx~

Like some have suggested (and I initially suggested about the changes to the 9.00 power amp modeling - until I decided I liked them), the best solution for making everyone happy would be to make the new changes optional (if that is possible). It could just another control on the amp sim's advanced page that lets you choose which power amp algorithm you want to use. That way the high gain guys that don't like the change can keep there old patches and not have to start with tweaking all over again.

I'm kind of undecided right now. After re-tweaking, I was really liking the results, but when I revisited my new patches last night, they weren't sounding as good as I remembered (nor as good as 9.00). I might of just been having a "bad tone/ears day", so I'll wait a couple of days, then see how I am liking them with fresh ears.

thats what im going through. I created some new freshly tweaked for 9.2 patches yesterday. But today i revisited them and some sound good, but not to the level my 9.0 patches rocked. (everything except for the cleans which blow mind mind still)

Im actually switching back to 9.0 right now just to compare again with fresh ears.

But i very much agree with you. Add the old power amp model as an option, and voila everyone is happy.
~mx~

A couple observations:

1). Taking a poll when there's a whole thread and forum of opinions already visible sways the results. If I know 90% prefer 9.02, plus Cliff says it's 'more accurate', I'll subconciously believe I like 9.02 better also. Before I even try it.

2). It's easy to form an opinion, but truthfully really hard (for me) to compare a 9.02-tweaked patch I'm playing right now with my recollection of a similar 9.00 patch. Then again, I sure don't have golden ears.

marvinx said:
So most folks seem to liek the 9.02 update but would any of you mind doing something? Do a direct comparison of the Euro 2 model 9.0 to 9.2.
What do you think?

I used this model extensively before, but it is no longer usefull to me in 9.2

It sang in 9.0, and im sitting here tweaking to no avail in 9.2 All the squish joy of the model is gone.

Can someone throw some insight onto those two models after comparing them directly?
~mx~

I like my 9.02 Bogner patch far more than my 9.0 Bogner patch. Check it out in the patch section here on the forum.

Robboman said:
A couple observations:

1). Taking a poll when there's a whole thread and forum of opinions already visible sways the results. If I know 90% prefer 9.02, plus Cliff says it's 'more accurate', I'll subconciously believe I like 9.02 better also. Before I even try it.

2). It's easy to form an opinion, but truthfully really hard (for me) to compare a 9.02-tweaked patch I'm playing right now with my recollection of a similar 9.00 patch. Then again, I sure don't have golden ears.

1) very good point.

2) Yes it is. i've resorted to recording clips of patches in each firmware and comparing.
-----
ill check out your bogner post. thanx.

For the next firmware release I've added a control that lets you vary the "voice coil influence" parameter. I haven't decided what to call it yet. The default value is 5.0 and that gives you the 9.02 sound. Reducing the value will sound darker and at certain settings, that vary with the amp model, will equal the sound of 9.00. For most high-gain amp models setting it 2.5 will give you back the 9.00 sound. You can also increase the value to make it really bright.

FractalAudio said:
For the next firmware release I've added a control that lets you vary the "voice coil influence" parameter. I haven't decided what to call it yet. The default value is 5.0 and that gives you the 9.02 sound. Reducing the value will sound darker and at certain settings, that vary with the amp model, will equal the sound of 9.00. For most high-gain amp models setting it 2.5 will give you back the 9.00 sound. You can also increase the value to make it really bright.
:shock:

FractalAudio said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

FractalAudio said:

I havent had the chance to install 9.02 yet, but this sounds like it should please everyone.

Personally, I just roll with all the amp model changes. Ive never noticed the changes from one firmware to another making any huge changes to my particular presets/amp models. Im sure if I compared 5.0 to 9.02 it'd smack me in the face, but to me, all the changes have been pretty subtle.

A big thanks to Cliff & team Fractal for keeping things moving right along & reinforcing what I knew to be true over two years ago...The Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra is the best gear purchase Ive ever made, and a bargain as well.

FractalAudio said:

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!.... oh and i love you... er... ok,... not the last one. But THANKYOU!

I used to scoff when people swoon over you like you're jesus....

But i must confess. Dude..., you are the man!

Thank you for listening and caring! Even to the minority!
~mx~

This is actually better than anyone asked for. We now will have an analog dial (analog as in finely quantified) which will add yet a whole 'nother palette of tones!
~mx~

FractalAudio said:

How about the "electrodynamic effect" :cool:

Oh wait, here's another, even though it's not accurate in the strictest sense... (voice coil) flyback

FractalAudio said:

isn't that some kind of a step backwards!?
i don't know if this is your intention, but if so
i think that changes should not be made if these are
meant to "please" some peoples taste.
the more you give the more you'll be asked for :mrgreen:

cheers
S.

Soultrash said:
FractalAudio said:

cheers
S.

how is that a step backwards? If you like 9.2 you set it to 5. If you like 9.0 you set it to 2.5.

Helping more people enjoy your product is a step backwards?

And how would people ask for more? The small minority here only wanted one thing. We are given 10x that. There is nothing to want in relation to that.

"the more you give the more you'll be asked for" sounds good but is simply a mindless assumption here.

In that case cliff should have never added half of the amp models available. "just to please some people" that wanted a certain sound. Why even have user cabinet slots? "just to please some people" who wanted different cab options. There are already cabs provided. We should use those. We should not attempt to alter these tones to suit our preferences.

As a matter of fact maybe the axe should have ONE model. With a volume conrol. No screw that, one volume setting...

Digging through past post..

On Mon Jan 11, 2010 you said ... "i would like to have another BASS amp model so i could avoid buying bass recoring gear...
just can't get anything good sounding out ot the "SV Bass" :roll:"

what the deal dude! If you got another bass model, that would be a HUGE step backward. Make due with what you got. Why should cliff care if you want your bass to sound the way you like?

or this begging cliff for modded 5150 , cuz... thats not a minority position AT ALL (sarcasm ON)...

FractalAudio wrote:
Soultrash wrote:
maybe cliff can help here. he has a lot of experience and i think he may know well what needs to be done.
maybe he can add a modded 5150 model to the axe, this would be awesome!

So what you're saying is I should add a model of an amp that I don't have access too and don't have schematics for. Okay, I'll get right on it.

no, i was trying to say that you could try to add an modded 5150 model by reading the description of the
mods and use your experience to "transfer" this mods to the axe model,
because i think that YOU can do that...yeah big expectations here :mrgreen:

cheers
S.

Just.... WOW.

~mx~

Soultrash said:
FractalAudio said:

cheers
S.

Nah, let them have it, as long as I initialize an amp and it gives me the most accurate up
to date modeling by DEFAULT who cares about other options.

The most amazing thing about 9.02 is that it "sound right" and it "fits in the mix"
without touching any of the Advanced settings.
The more I stripp down the presets the better they sound.
AMP + CAB + A LITTLE ROOM REVERB never sounded this great.

;)

Back
Top Bottom