70 years of popular music, what decade do you prefer?

• Total voters
When I mentioned technical progress it was meant in the context of songs or instrumentals of note.

( what do you mean, we can have them without notes ? )

Technique for the sake of it with no communication whatever the genre gets old quickly. But then again so does first position pentatonic in the wrong hands :D

Definitely the 70's!!

Late 50's ...An IDEA

The 60's .......the SPARK

THE 70'S.....THE EXPLOSION!

You're head was spinning! LITERALLY!! All the genres were coming out all over and at once it seemed!

One minute your into SOUL....and MOTOWN hits, next minute it's Doobies (Rock)...then EWF, then Steely Dan, Santana.... then find yourself singing along with John Denver and Roberta Flack ballads, then back to Zeppelin & Aerosmith, then George Benson (pop jazz), then Van Halen and Boston revolutionized what the ultimate guitar tone iS!! The Cars! ZZtop! The hits were not limited to one style of music!...........and out of nowhere....DISCO! ......and I just scratched the surface!!!

LITERALLY an EXPLOSION of great songs and instrumentals from all genres!!

I'd advise anyone to pickup the DVD collection of "The Midnight Special"!! Covers years from I believe 68' or 69' to 81'! You'll get a very clear idea of this explosion! Cool!

I love music period! ....Any and all kinds!!...the 70's had a lot to do with this!

I like 'em all. Regularly listen to stuff from around 1940 to 2013. Love the Andrews Sisters, love Loon Lake (playing as I write), and pretty much everything in between.

If it's played with passion, or performed well, or written well, or arranged well or recorded well there's something to appreciate. If it's all of the above it's even better.

BOO-Ma.jpg

You are missed at Harmony Central.

80´s!!!
I mean if HAVE to choose one, then for sure 80´s.

after a good bar night I sometimes spend the rest of the night at home with 80s videos on Youtube and a single malt... or a few...

I picked the 80's since that was where I started playing an inspiration came about for me.....but the 70's seem to be where all the music I like originated from....then the 70-80's guitar Gods arose for me ;)

Oh boy, using a single song to criticize a decade is VERY dangerous... :)

The 80s had Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth". Toni Basil's "Mickey" and Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus", not to mention "Shaddup your face".

90s - Ice Ice Baby. Macarena, Achy Breaky Heart. Do I need to go on?

Wait! You didn't like Mickey! Please, tell me you loved Shoppin' From A to Z! Shop Shoppin'!

I voted 60's. My first real paying gig (all 5 dollars of it) was in 1963. There is no feeling like plugging in, tuning up, and letting it rip. I loved the 60's music and still do.

Oh boy, using a single song to criticize a decade is VERY dangerous... :)

The 80s had Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth". Toni Basil's "Mickey" and Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus", not to mention "Shaddup your face".

90s - Ice Ice Baby. Macarena, Achy Breaky Heart. Do I need to go on?

Agreed... Trying to assign a type of music to personify an era is not a very good way to go about it, even though that's what seems to happen. If you talk about 70's music in general most people think Disco or 80's music and a lot refer to Metal. Separating a music type in that era makes sense, If you liked 70's rock or 80's rock etc... The 80's Debbie Gibson flavor of "pop" music is liken to the 70's Disco. It's the same dance just a different face aimed at a younger audience. Ether way it seems that every era has it's classics, glam and garbage that everyone remembers.

I watched this like the third time and still couldn't figure out if the bass player is a dude or a gal, lol.
No matter what, (s)he definitely got 'dem grooves in the fingers!
It's a he for Hendrik. All three are outstanding musicians, but it's the precision integration of bass and drums that impresses me most.

These are better songs [opinion], rescued/recycled from assorted modern pop princesses.

Adele:

GaGa:

Britney:

I voted 80's. That's when I got into music (aged 8 to 18). I love aggressive guitars. This is when it really got aggressive. 70's would be my close 2nd choice, then the 60's.

Thrash metal is what I was into in the 80's. It's still my favorite guitar style and genre to listen to. chug chug chug.

I have to say here, its pretty funny to see a bunch of guitar players judging musical merit on lyrics.
Kinda strange twilight zone type moments back there. :p

Music is in constant evolution IMHO. It ebbs and flows with the times.
Hell, we still haven't settled on "proper technique" or how many strings the guitar should have.
When you look at the violin or cello, there is a bar to meet or exceed in just technique and musical
theory. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard some random "musician" talking about how having
knowledge of your craft can and will, kill the feel and soul of your playing, I would be a financially
wealthy man. The bass guitar (aka electric bass) is only 80 years old and really has only been mass
produced since the 50's. The standard piano is about 300 years old...And now with digital technology
things we were (literally) dreaming of 10 years ago are now VERY possible. Imagine what will be tomorrow.

The best?
I think we haven't seen anything yet. :twisted

Yeah, bit we had better drugs in the 70's so the stupid songs were still trippy.

Dude, they're singing about muskrats screwing. And McArthur Park is a cake. A cake!

I don't know we have drugs that turn you into zombies and want to eat people faces these days ;)

And have you ever seen muskrat love...it ain't pretty :)
It is like watching a 3 day Donnie and Marie Marathon!

The 70s was the decade for me! Especially the latter half. When you look at all of the timeless albums from that relatively short span of time...wow! The music industry was on fire.

Back
Top Bottom