70 years of popular music, what decade do you prefer?

• Total voters
I voted for 2010's, because damn, all those tunes nowadays are so creative and original, like "this girl is on fire!" or "you're beautiful like diamonds in the sky!" ... and they are totally not annoying and make you not want to eat your just vomited breakfast again just to be able get a distraction from the sheer awesomeness of the lyrics that piled up in your underpants!

28643-Citizen-Kane-Orson-Welles-appl-xIlv.gif

How come you left out the 40s? One of the greatest of all time.

Because then you'd be asking why I didn't include the 30s... :D As far as Jazz is concerned the most groundbreaking and interesting stuff, in retrospect, happened in NY in the 50s anyway - my humble opinion. ;) The 50s also served as the time of birth of Rock n Roll music as we know it. A movement that would soon turn out to have much wider public appeal across all musical styles, ages, races and nations. And it lives on...

No. The most groundbreaking jazz happened in the 40s. The 50s was regurgitating, reinventing, and putting it all together in the late 50s. That groundbreaking year '59 (and 58 actually). But it all started during and post WWII. But it was the amazing SONGWRITING and tin pan alley long before the invention or hint of R&Rm Elvis or the Brill Building.

I picked the 60's, but would have also picked the 50's, as these two decades represent ground-breaking stuff. Electric Guitar first created, Rock was born, and a lot of great music. I also picked these decades because there were more venues for live music, spawning a lot of creativity.

I voted 70's because, like many others, that was when my interest in music started with bands like Yes, Zeppelin, Floyd etc, however I mostly enjoy listening to fresh, newly created music (excluding manufactured pop) so I could easily have voted for 2010's as well.

No. The most groundbreaking jazz happened in the 40s. The 50s was regurgitating, reinventing, and putting it all together in the late 50s. That groundbreaking year '59 (and 58 actually). But it all started during and post WWII. But it was the amazing SONGWRITING and tin pan alley long before the invention or hint of R&Rm Elvis or the Brill Building.

Regurgitation is not what I would call it. I would instead call it as jazz taking a break from modernist ideals...

I seriously can't decide. It's like asking which of your children you like best. I like them all, but for different reasons. The decades, I mean. I know which kid I like best, but I would never tell.

Really have a valid point there.

I voted the '80's. Started listening in the late '50's. The '60's was great (a great time to be a teenager), a lot of creativity (mind-expansion) and experimentation. The '70's had alot of great stuff but suffered severe pollution from disco and urban country (yuck). The '90's was ... meh. And the 2000's was pretty much lame (IMO).

The '80's just gives me a good feeling about the music. It also was a great time in other ways. I just think back on it fondly.

Really couldn't choose!

'80s were the most influential on me, but that was definitely due to being a teenager. Those formative years are the ones which strike you the most... but whilst I can recognise that personally, I couldn't flat out say that the '80s was the most important decade for music

I picked the 70's.

I would have liked a 75' to 85' choice also though.

The late 70's music is forever "burned" into my then teenage DNA :)

Well, in the eighties you could listen to both the 70's and 80's music - so I chose the eighties. :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom