70 years of popular music, what decade do you prefer?

• Total voters
This about sums it up.

Yeah but, on the other hand, in 72 we had:

Muskrat Love:

Muskrat, muskrat candlelight
Doin' the town and doin' it right
In the evenin'
It's pretty pleasin'

Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land
And they shimmy
And Sammy's so skinny

And they whirled and they twirled and they tangoed
Singin' and jingin' the jango
Floatin' like the heavens above
It looks like muskrat love

Nibbling on bacon, chewin' on cheese
Sammy says to Susie "Honey, would you please be my missus?"
And she say yes
With her kisses

And now he's ticklin' her fancy
Rubbin' her toes
Muzzle to muzzle, now anything goes
As they wriggle, and Sue starts to giggle

La da da da da ...

and

in 1969 there was:

Spring was never waiting for us, girlIt ran one step aheadAs we followed in the dance
Between the parted pagesAnd were pressed in love's hot, fevered ironLike a striped pair of pants
MacArthur's Park is melting in the darkAll the sweet, green icing flowing downSomeone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it'Cause it took so long to bake itAnd I'll never have that recipe again, oh no
I recall the yellow cotton dressFoaming like a waveOn the ground around your kneesThe birds like tender babies in your handsAnd the old men playing checkers, by the trees
MacArthur's Park is melting in the darkAll the sweet, green icing flowing downSomeone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it'Cause it took so long to bake itAnd I'll never have that recipe again, oh no
There will be another song for meFor I will sing itThere will be another dream for meSomeone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warmAnd never let you catch me looking at the sunAnd after all the loves of my lifeAfter all the loves of my life, you'll still be the one
I will take my life into my hands and I will use itI will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose itI will have the things that I desireAnd my passion flow like rivers through the sky
And after all the loves of my lifeOh, after all the loves of my lifeI'll be thinking of you and wondering why
I don't think that I can take it'Cause it took so long to bake itAnd I'll never have that recipe againOh no, oh no, no, no, oh no

MACARTHUR PARK LYRICS

Voted 80s; that's when I started to play guitar because there were so many guitar hero around, so many riffs to steal ;)

70s....no doubt. I remember the 80s as the time we began to see band after band sell out their roots to sell to the masses (e.g. ZZTop (still lovem' anyway), The Doobies, Frampton, I could go on). There are still a few good songs that leak out every year, but popular music as a whole has been in a shameful downhill slide since the 70's. To me it hit the bottom in the 90s and looks like its' never coming back.

I guess I'm a dinosaur......95% of the new popular music that I hear on the radio (when I'm forced against my will to listen to it) makes we want to projectile vomit with surgical precision all over their repetitive, uninteresting, low talent, no guitar solo, soylent green excuses for songs.

Sorry to beat around the bush.

The '70's had a lot of great stuff but suffered severe pollution from disco.

If you go back and listen to some of that disco material, it's actually pretty awesome.

Killer horn sections, kick-ass rhythm sections (Chic), amazing vocalists (eg. Donna Summer).

Yeah it was the throwaway pop of its day, but compared to today's ghastly auto-tuned banalities, it is pure gold. (Sure Disco Duck and Star Wars Disco are pretty painful, but there's awful music in every genre).

Yeah but, on the other hand, in 72 we had:

Muskrat Love:

Muskrat, muskrat candlelight
Doin' the town and doin' it right
In the evenin'
It's pretty pleasin'

Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land
And they shimmy
And Sammy's so skinny

Nibbling on bacon, chewin' on cheese
Sammy says to Susie "Honey, would you please be my missus?"
And she say yes
With her kisses

And now he's ticklin' her fancy
Rubbin' her toes
Muzzle to muzzle, now anything goes
As they wriggle, and Sue starts to giggle

La da da da da ...

and

in 1969 there was:

Spring was never waiting for us, girlIt ran one step aheadAs we followed in the dance
Between the parted pagesAnd were pressed in love's hot, fevered ironLike a striped pair of pants
I recall the yellow cotton dressFoaming like a waveOn the ground around your kneesThe birds like tender babies in your handsAnd the old men playing checkers, by the trees
There will be another song for meFor I will sing itThere will be another dream for meSomeone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warmAnd never let you catch me looking at the sunAnd after all the loves of my lifeAfter all the loves of my life, you'll still be the one
I will take my life into my hands and I will use itI will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose itI will have the things that I desireAnd my passion flow like rivers through the sky
And after all the loves of my lifeOh, after all the loves of my lifeI'll be thinking of you and wondering why
I don't think that I can take it'Cause it took so long to bake itAnd I'll never have that recipe againOh no, oh no, no, no, oh no

MACARTHUR PARK LYRICS

Yeah, bit we had better drugs in the 70's so the stupid songs were still trippy.

Dude, they're singing about muskrats screwing. And McArthur Park is a cake. A cake!

I agree! Disco Duck was a 1970's literary masterpiece. ;)

Oh boy, using a single song to criticize a decade is VERY dangerous... :)

The 80s had Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth". Toni Basil's "Mickey" and Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus", not to mention "Shaddup your face".

90s - Ice Ice Baby. Macarena, Achy Breaky Heart. Do I need to go on?

I will toss in a 5 vote demerit card for the 80's...

:roll

PBM1xCf.jpg

I guess I'm a dinosaur......95% of the new popular music that I hear on the radio (when I'm forced against my will to listen to it) makes we want to projectile vomit with surgical precision all over their repetitive, uninteresting, low talent, no guitar solo, soylent green excuses for songs.

Sorry to beat around the bush.

:lol dude... Repetitive, uninteresting, low talent, no guitar solo, soylent green excuses for songs., classic!

picked 80s.
it was in the 80s that i started getting into music and a lot of the songs during those days are tattooed in my brain.
it was a time of mtv, walkman, one-hit wonders, hair metal bands, aerobics classes (or, girls in leotards dancing to the 80s beat)...
more importantly, i picked up the guitar mid 80s

70s.
Couldn't care less for all the 'technical progress' in the 80s.
It's all about songwriting.

... and how well those songs were played by the musicians.

I also could care less about the "technical progress". It's all about how much soul is communicated by the players. Many technically amazing players are also amazingly boring to listen to.

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom