I think we need a Poll, so we can see who is officially the worst...

The winner gets Guitar lessons, or we send them a form letter stating how well all agreed, and would wish that they cease immediately.

You famous guys know who you are. We could set them up with a desk job, so they wouldn't have to bother us anymore... JK of course.:mrgreen

The form letter would go something like this.

Dear Sir/Madam We at forum.fractal.com, have all agreed that you are the worst professional guitar player ever. So for the remainder of your Career/life we have set you up as a greater for Wall mart. We have kept it easy, all you need to say is "welcome to Walmart". Now of course, you still have a legacy of work that we will be happy to destroy for you at no cost to you mind you. Please go in he understanding that when you were a kid and you Idolized (your favorite guitar player here), that maybe you should have left the Guitar playing to the neighbor kid instead, you have to remember, he was better then you in the first place.

So with all due respect, please take our advice. To start the ball rolling please at your earliest connivence, here is our counsels number 555-555-5555. Don't hesitate to call right now.

Signed:
Fractal Forum Poll #196

Have a nice day.

Its your list of course and you can write any name that you want but how the hell can you dislike a musical genius like Shawn Lane ?

While I can enjoy guitar virtuoso music (G. Govan, for example), there's nothing in Lane's music or playing that would spark my interest, touch me or "ring my bell".
Besides that, I have a differing definition of "musical genius" (see the Jeff Loomis/Jason Becker thread for that), but to state it again, my list is independent of skills, chops, achievement etc., just about what I enjoy or in this case do not enjoy.

I started reading the first page of this thread and saw how many pages there were in three days and thought... I ain't getting into this one, no how... Cliff!!... release v.10 already... the masses are starting to get Fractal Forum cabin fever!

Last edited:
This is great fun! I've never laughed so hard on a fractal thread. Here's my 3rd grade contribution:

Steve Vai - I don't like that tongue flickering thing I've seen him do. Also, he was playing at some festival on one of Clapton's Crossroads, he and 2 other guitarists were playing each other's guitars or something, sorry but that just looked GAY!
Joe Bonamassa - Yeah he's talented, yeah he's a good blues player, but something about him posing with those glasses on... he's compensating for something, like he was certainly not cool in school, but he's cool now!!
that Michel Agenlo Batio guy or whatever, I'm not even going to look up his name to spell it right. I never liked those ads in Guitar World with his double neck pointy guitar and the 1,000 notes per minute thing.
The Cheap Trick guy - I don't know, I think I saw him later in his career on ACL and he just seemed sloppy and way too LOUD. And the hat thing with the suit thing, just kinda lame...
Andy McKee - is that the guy that was an internet sensation because he tapped his guitar on the body and the neck and all that stuff? It was cool for a minute, then all of a sudden he's touring?
Any of those de-tune guys from these current metal bands. I actually like some of the attitude of that music, but I'm tired of the 7 string, drop down to C# stuff, just not my bag, and those guys that have to paint their nails black and their eyes black. Pick any of them... I don't like 'em.
The old guy with the long blonde hair from Lynyrd Skynyrd. Yeah, I know he's an icon and he's part of one of the greatest southern rock bands ever, but c'mon dude, cut your hair. And yeah, you were cool in the 70's, but probably not anymore.

And for the haters of this thread, I don't think I'm better than any of these guys (maybe the cheap trick guy), and yes I would love to have any of the success any of these guys have had, but as some said, this is just like sittin' around with your buddies shootin' the sh*t and talking about guitar players you don't like... whats the big deal??

Most of your criticism seems to involve how people look and act. Are these your basic criteria for deciding who is a good MUSICIAN?

Oh damn, I forgot SLASH! One of the 'big dick' school who plays his guitar like a giant phallus - which I suppose would be OK (if incredibly silly to adults) if he didn't sound like a soul-less amalgam of about 10 other rock guitarists. No originality, but great poseur promise. Perhaps the apotheosis of 'style' (if you like that sort of laughable machismo and braggadacio) over substance in R&R. The end point in the devolution of rock.

Oh damn, I forgot SLASH! One of the 'big dick' school who plays his guitar like a giant phallus - which I suppose would be OK (if incredibly silly to adults) if he didn't sound like a soul-less amalgam of about 10 other rock guitarists. No originality, but great poseur promise. Perhaps the apotheosis of 'style' (if you like that sort of laughable machismo and braggadacio) over substance in R&R. The end point in the devolution of rock.

But before we get sucked into a debate about the importance of looks as opposed to musicianship, I feel I ought to say that SLASH certainly doesn't look in the slightest bit silly.

I like Slash's style of playing, looks-wise it's badass to me... I also like the melodies he made in GnR.

While I can enjoy guitar virtuoso music (G. Govan, for example), there's nothing in Lane's music or playing that would spark my interest, touch me or "ring my bell".
Besides that, I have a differing definition of "musical genius" (see the Jeff Loomis/Jason Becker thread for that), but to state it again, my list is independent of skills, chops, achievement etc., just about what I enjoy or in this case do not enjoy.

You taste but here is what Guthrie says about Shawn:

Guthrie on Shawn Lane. - YouTube

I like Slash's style of playing, looks-wise it's badass to me... I also like the melodies he made in GnR.

Well, that's what makes the world go 'round, don't it. Every time I see him on stage, I think 'what an absurd load'. Of course, I am cognizant that he makes bajillions and gets the finest trim (if you are the type who finds bimbos with a 'bad boy' complex interesting - I find 'em stultifyingly boring). But, yes, lots of folks like him, and I'll give the hook in Sweet Child a thumb's up. But all in all, forgettable, totally machismo-ridiculous, and boring. Of course, it might be a matter of age - I may be a bit older than you are - or maybe not - maybe it's simply... an aesthetic difference.

Back
Top Bottom