That's an open-ended question. Do I dislike the guitarist because they don't play well, or is it because they have personality quirks that make me dislike them?

I notice Cobain getting some flack in this thread. I think that mainly comes from the cult of personality and media hype he got. I those useless Rolling Stone lists of Best Guitarists, Cobain will usually be up there. Now, Kurt Cobain I put more in the category of a Bob Dylan....a good songwriter who wrote music that really resonates with people. The guitar was simply his tool of expression to release these musical ideas he had. I don't think we should become musical cork sniffers who look down on any guitarist who doesn't play a million notes a minute or use advanced sweep picking techniques. Musically, I love stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X. Those bands have very advanced guitarists with great technique. However, I also think excellent music can be made by players with more modest abilities. I love cranking The Ramones, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Trouble, Sleep.....bands that make perfectly good songs with less advanced techniques.

I doubt Cobain would have called himself a guitar virtuoso. He's certainly not someone I would have wanted to take lessons from. If the media and cult of personality, composed of non-musicians, want to call him a guitar great, let them. Its all noise and hype, anyway.

Also, what's wrong with Minor Pentatonic? I've seen some players slagged on in this thread for using it, but its an amazingly versatile scale. You hear it in jazz, blues, rock, metal, etc. Some players do a ton of great things with Minor Pentatonic. So what if they're not throwing in Lydian Dominant, Super Locrian, Diminished and Whole Tone runs every five seconds? Greats such as Wes Montgomery, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Stevie as well as modern virtuosos use it all over the place. There's something to be said for intentionally boxing yourself into a scale and seeing what cool stuff you can coax out of it!

As far as guitarists I generally dislike, I'd have to say:

1) Ted Nugent - His playing is composed of sophomoric pentatonic wanking (not the cool pentatonic stuff, just dull, uninteresting lines) and basic power chords that do nothing for me. Also, I disagree with his politics and his manner of discourse, which is more about shock value, setting up strawman arguments and demonizing anyone who disagrees.

2) Dave Mustaine - He's a phenomenal guitarist and has led Megadeth though fantastic, amazing metal albums over their multi-decade career. He just comes off as an egotistical jerk, plus in recent years he's wrapped himself up in Alex Jones -style conspiracy theories. He's turning into Nugent-lite.

3) Henry Kaiser - This is a new one. He seems devoid of anything resembling musical talent, somehow manages to make a Dumble sound terrible, all under the guise of being "experimental". Playing with 0 structure does not make one a Pat Metheny or Miles in his electric period.

4) Yngwie Malmsteen - Great, groundbreaking player, but in interviews he just comes off as a conceited jerk, criticizing other players and just being full of himself.

So, I guess this could be "celebrities I dislike who happen to play guitar" and not "guitarists I dislike". I think most players who record on albums that people buy are better than me :)

Last edited:
Van Halen. Super talented? Yes. Awesome tone? Yes. Do his solos have any sort of context to the songs they're in? Hell no!

C.C. Deville. Not actually a guitarist.

Yengwennie Malmsteen. Dude should just go far, far away.

Dave Mustaine. Pussy.

Kurt Cobain. Also not actually a guitarist.

Everyone who plays at guitar center while I'm there... guess that includes me too.

Tom Petty. We have a personal beef.

Clapton (dont get it)
Beck (uggh)
Santanna (So overrated it hurts)
Edge (makes me want to never use delay)
Page (chanky slop, good songwriter / rip off artist)
Bonnamasa (eric johnson did it years ago, better, and didnt need 750k guitars to do it).

all making more money playing the guitar than I ever will, just an opinion. that's why there are so many guitarists to choose from :)

Re Cobain: No, I'm sure he would never have called himself a virtuoso, after all, Grunge came out of the same 'lo technique, lo fidelity' ethos as Punk. But he was not just a good songwriter, he wrote GREAT HOOKS! That's a tremendous skill that Vai et. al. seem to totally lack, perhaps because they gild and filigree everything to death. I agree about Nugent and Mustaine, as players, and as (sort of) human beings.

Regarding the negative comments I see in many threads about Cobain and Neil Young, apparently many people think they have no talent and no chops. I disagree. I think they have a different kind of chops. No one plays primal rock and roll the way Neil does and Kurt did. If primal's not your thing, I can dig it, since sweepy/scalar,superfast tech players leave me cold. But it's not that I think they have no talent, but rather that their talent is hyper-specialized, and, more to the point, to my ear, not very musical. The chops, the technique become the raison d'etre, instead of means to an end. They become the end, and the music seems histrionic, egotistical and soul-less to me. Chops does not = musicality, at all. I prefer a sloppy 'feel' player to a perfect, speedy robot ANY DAY!

Rock is now many things, but one branch of rock, from Punk to Grunge, is very visceral, from the gut, in your face - and either you like that stuff or you don't. Personally. there are plenty of players with no real technical chops who can slay you with ONE note - people like John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf.
That's an open-ended question. Do I dislike the guitarist because they don't play well, or is it because they have personality quirks that make me dislike them?

I notice Cobain getting some flack in this thread. I think that mainly comes from the cult of personality and media hype he got. I those useless Rolling Stone lists of Best Guitarists, Cobain will usually be up there. Now, Kurt Cobain I put more in the category of a Bob Dylan....a good songwriter who wrote music that really resonates with people. The guitar was simply his tool of expression to release these musical ideas he had. I don't think we should become musical cork sniffers who look down on any guitarist who doesn't play a million notes a minute or use advanced sweep picking techniques. Musically, I love stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X. Those bands have very advanced guitarists with great technique. However, I also think excellent music can be made by players with more modest abilities. I love cranking The Ramones, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Trouble, Sleep.....bands that make perfectly good songs with less advanced techniques.

I doubt Cobain would have called himself a guitar virtuoso. He's certainly not someone I would have wanted to take lessons from. If the media and cult of personality, composed of non-musicians, want to call him a guitar great, let them. Its all noise and hype, anyway.

Also, what's wrong with Minor Pentatonic? I've seen some players slagged on in this thread for using it, but its an amazingly versatile scale. You hear it in jazz, blues, rock, metal, etc. Some players do a ton of great things with Minor Pentatonic. So what if they're not throwing in Lydian Dominant, Super Locrian, Diminished and Whole Tone runs every five seconds? Greats such as Wes Montgomery, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Stevie as well as modern virtuosos use it all over the place. There's something to be said for intentionally boxing yourself into a scale and seeing what cool stuff you can coax out of it!

As far as guitarists I generally dislike, I'd have to say:

1) Ted Nugent - His playing is composed of sophomoric pentatonic wanking (not the cool pentatonic stuff, just dull, uninteresting lines) and basic power chords that do nothing for me. Also, I disagree with his politics and his manner of discourse, which is more about shock value, setting up strawman arguments and demonizing anyone who disagrees.

2) Dave Mustaine - He's a phenomenal guitarist and has led Megadeth though fantastic, amazing metal albums over their multi-decade career. He just comes off as an egotistical jerk, plus in recent years he's wrapped himself up in Alex Jones -style conspiracy theories. He's turning into Nugent-lite.

3) Henry Kaiser - This is a new one. He seems devoid of anything resembling musical talent, somehow manages to make a Dumble sound terrible, all under the guise of being "experimental". Playing with 0 structure does not make one a Pat Metheny or Miles in his electric period.

4) Yngwie Malmsteen - Great, groundbreaking player, but in interviews he just comes off as a conceited jerk, criticizing other players and just being full of himself.

So, I guess this could be "celebrities I dislike who happen to play guitar" and not "guitarists I dislike". I think most players who record on albums that people buy are better than me :)

Last edited:
*Flame suite on* My dislikes go to:

Mike Stern (highly overrated, worse tone in history)

:D

I usually agree with you Chef, but I would be to differ on this one.

Neil Girardo who plays on those Pat Benatar albums has the worst tone in history. It doesn't matter the rig he uses or guitar, he manages to make any combination sound like crap.

For those of you who are young and are ripping guys like Clapton, Beck, and Santana, I have two words for you: "historical context."

I'm an old fart - and I'm still ripping on Clapton. Santana and Beck were both amazing back then. Then beck married his whammy and it became schtick, and Carlos (Moonflower and beyond) thought is was cool so hold a note for 60 seconds...

I did like Disreali Gears, though, the first rock album I ever owned. But Clapton has never surprised me. Like SRV, a LOT of what he did was directly lifted, note for note, from Albert King and others. He was never an innovator, more of a copyist.
For those of you who are young and are ripping guys like Clapton, Beck, and Santana, I have two words for you: "historical context."

I'd be remiss if I did not amend my list to include Chad Kroeger because Nickelback.

Volumes could be written on why Nickelback sucks, but they'd probably revolve around the fact that they're incredibly bland and sterile. Its rock designed for a car commercial that calls for a "modern rock" soundtrack. Or music designed as background music to the latest tween melodrama television show.

Nickelback...not good enough to inspire, don't suck enough to be memorable. Add that to the fact that these clowns get airplay and sell out arenas while truly powerful, exciting new bands like Rival Sons struggle to get any marketing from their label stateside.

Here is my 7 worst:
1) Neil Girardo - How could a guys who comes up with such cool guitar parts suck so bad in terms of tone? If tone is all in the fingers, his must have the opposite of the Midas touch.
2) Malmsteen - the AM radio tone played really fast is still an Am Radio Tone.
3) Impelliteri - he can play fast but has no soul or plot to his playing
4) Michael Angelo - Playing two necks at once with bad tone is not an achievement. Also says a lot of nothing with his playing.
5) Kirk Hammett - Never have so many tuners been so ineffective at keeping this man in tune.
6) Clapton - In one word his tone, even today, could be summed up in one word - Crapton!
7) Steve Vai - Only effective in bands that have a strong lyrical structure to them - Zappa, DLR, Whitesnake- otherwise he does the equivalent of musical masturbation of songs without a lot of direction

How about everyone who posted some hates here posts a link to their album/soundcloud etc so the rest of us can all judge them?

There's plenty of music and musicians I don't like but I prefer to spend my time making and enjoying music I do like than bitching about them..

never fails that people in these threads refer to anyone with even a semblance of technical ability as wankers/musical masturbators/soulless, etc. so old....

ever consider that they feel music differently than you? sure, there are some that play fast just to do it, but there are also those that feel music in that manner. just because they function/feel/think in a different way doesn't invalidate it. you can't watch Vai (and i haven't listened to him in years) and say he doesn't feel what he's playing...

How about everyone who posted some hates here posts a link to their album/soundcloud etc so the rest of us can all judge them?

There's plenty of music and musicians I don't like but I prefer to spend my time making and enjoying music I do like than bitching about them..

Cut me a check in the ballpark of a major label advance and I'll be glad to do so.

Cut me a check in the ballpark of a major label advance and I'll be glad to do so.

Considering you seem to feel you are superior to the likes of Van Halen and Malmsteen I would have thought you'd already have record labels throwing money at you :)

The thing that makes me smile about the Yngwie-haters in particular - is that he is the first one to admit that not everyone likes his music - but he doesn't give a crap, he does what he does, take it or leave it.
I guess if someone could possibly upset him by insulting his music he'd probably have to just console himself by taking one of his Ferrari's for a spin..

Considering you seem to feel you are superior to the likes of Van Halen and Malmsteen I would have thought you'd already have record labels throwing money at you :)

This is exactly what I find funny about these threads. I and many, many others have also never won a Heisman Trophy. That doesn't stop most of America from looking at Danny Wuerffel as one of the worst QBs in history.

It has nothing to do with who we feel superior to. The question posed was to name 7 guitarists we disliked. Mission accomplished. Yengwennie and the others can do whatever they want with the results.

On a side note, if the question were "what guitarists do you feel superior to," Then I'm still batting over .500. Cobain, Deville, Petty, and most of the GC crowd stay on that list.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom