Best thread on this board. I love the fact that there are people who can't understand that public figures are open to criticism.

Here is my list, and why:

Hendrix - i know he was a game changer, but he was also sloppy and very very stoned all the time.
Clapton - very one dimensional. And that Heaven song... And "You Look Wonderful Tonight". arrrrggghhhh Ever notice that none of his mainstream hits are guitar songs? Cocaine, I Shot The Sherrif, Lay Down Sally, Wonderful Tonight... None are "guitar" focused songs the way Layla, Badge, Crossroads, Sunshine of Your Love, etc were.
Keef - WTF?
George Benson - A giant but cmon - get rid of the orchestration and stop the scat singing while you solo.
Les Paul - not a particularly good player
Slash - whore... Will endorse tampons if they let him.
YankMe Malmstein - commenting is not necessary.

I know that is seven, but I need a "General Principle" over-riding winner... Pete Townsend. Not only a very limited player, but a real hemorrhoid of a guy.

Its all fun. They are all much better players than I am ( well, maybe not Keef, but the rest certainly). Great thread Chef. Salty Balls!!

Joe

Slash. ( Think about it , what did he offer?)
Buckethead. ( too gimmicky)
Michael Angelo Batio ( very rude, Saw him at Namm one year. I was in line for EJ picks. This nut sack butts through the whole line and in front of me and takes every last one!) Plus he looks and Talks just like a Rat
CC Deville ( in the ERA of glam Rock with all the great players, dude couldn't even play a 3 note per string scale)
Jimmy Page. ( Innovator my ass. Dude is Just sloppy. Proof? Heartbreaker solo)
Vernon Reid ( Sloppy, Doesn't solo in Key)
Steven Van Zandt. ( The guy sucks, Period. Not explanation needed)

These debates always break down between those who elevate extreme technique and a vast musical knowledge above songwriting, a memorable if simple riff, 'the vibe', originality, experimentation, etc.

I don't think any of my favourite riffs or guitar lines have been written by people who are, by modern standards, shredders - but I can appreciate and enjoy virtuoso players too.

1 - kamaleon
2- joel from FAS forum
3- joe bonamasaasama
4-1000 other pittifull earthlings

5- haaar haah paaaar hhaa at some of the lists

i like that sexy bitch.. whats her name that played with vai

orianthi,, !! now ide bend that earthling over my space cosole

But they're all way better than the worst player of all time - ME!!

That pretty much covers this thread nicely. OK guys, get it off your chest if you must, we all know of players that we just don't 'get', but remember to take a long look at yourself before you start hating others. Also, if you've nothing nice to say, then keep it to yourself.

Are you shitting me?

Ehh, its his thing let him have it.

I think there is always going to be someone on the List that makes you go "Are you kidding Me", but thats ok, because we all have different influences or starting points. This is for fun and for Non profit.

There have been a lot of guitarists through the last few generations that have awed us and made us want to work harder on our own craft. This thread just points out that yes we are from different parts of the world and our world view might be based on someone elses dislikes, but know that, the influences that you take in as your own, will always be slanted with your own take on it. You will never be Les Paul, Ace Frehely etc, You will always be you, and that my friends is what Makes you, you.

Isn't the Human experience Awesome...

jeff beck

juuuuuust kidddinggg!!! hes one of MY best

Just so you know and dont take Offense, but when Jeff Beck played in Tempe Az. Kamaleon, this was on Earth just letting you know the planet and location. I can get the GPS coordinates if you like. Any way there was the 60th Anniversary of fender and your buddy Jeff Beck played, I got pretty bored pretty quick and left after the third song. I just can't get into the whammy bar wanking, Microtonal playing.

I think we need a Poll, so we can see who is officially the worst...

The winner gets Guitar lessons, or we send them a form letter stating how well all agreed, and would wish that they cease immediately.

You famous guys know who you are. We could set them up with a desk job, so they wouldn't have to bother us anymore... JK of course.:mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom