Totally agree with all the RHCP comments (both John and Dave). I spent years of my high school life trying to like them because everyone else did. Saw them at a festival once and never went back. The Mr Bungle parody of RHCP was way better than the real thing

The reference to the Mr Bungle Halloween gig made my morning! Must watch that bootleg later today:)

Well I'll make myself the biggest flame object of the day and list my 7 dislikes.
Have nothing to do with skills or anything just what really bores me to listen to.

Guthrie Govan *7

No matter how skilled he is, how hard he worked to get there, how godlike he grabs the neck of a guitar, he simply bores me to deat with his endless licks.

Now flame away :)

I see 2 camps forming. The "feel" camp and the "shred" camp. I personally belong more to the technical guys because I think that they can often express with a more articulate repertoire than the BB Kings of the world no matter how "stinky face" they look when holding that terribly-trebly-over-bent note. With that said I really hate some that I once loved shredders as well.

I guess what they say about the line between love and hate is true. Currently hating:

Steve Via - wanker mystic wizard warlock hamster
John Fruciante - overrated hacker
Slash- overly pretentious wanker/hack dust mop.
BB King - nice old guy but is his face in pain because of the glucose test meters he pricks himself with or is it his incredible note choice?
Buddy Guy - Ice pick tone for no reason
Mike Stern - tone is like diet jello soaked in Mr Pibb for added chemical sterility.
Michael Batio - masturbation instruction

I normally would never state these opinions but given free license to act like a third grader can be really fun. Finger painting next?

Only guitarists that pushes my buttons are:

Chris Impelliteri
Michael Angelo Batio
Yngwie maalmsteen
James Shaffer (from Korn)
Ritchie Blackmoore (For being an ass)

I could probably go on, but those are the only ones I could think off :p

Last edited:
can't think of any player i dislike at the moment, cos if i am not into that genre, i wouldn't be listening to that player anyway...

still, as much as i love robben ford's playing and tone, i never really understood his episodes of outbursts at concerts.
i have seen him shouting at the official photographer to get lost during a renegade creation gig some years back...really put a damper on an otherwise solid show.

as i am typing this, a player that gets my goat came to mind...
i guess i am just jealous i never got to date taylor swift and have a song written about me after that...:mrgreen

*Flame suite on* My dislikes go to:

Steve Morse (worse vibrato in history)
Tommy Emmanuel (extremely boring after 1 min, this applies to everyone in this genre)
Buckethead (because a nun-chuck dance is the best part of his show)
BB King (overrated, king of blues my ass)
Mike Stern (highly overrated, worse tone in history)
Stanley Jordan (perfect example of where a concept overpowers musical quality and tone)
Eric Clapton (the most overrated guitar player of all time)

:D

Having seen Tommy Emmanuel live last week in London with Martin Taylor I have to totally disagree. Seeing (Live) is believing. The whole auditorium of guitar players were floored by Tommy's technique, energy, shredding (yes that too!), showmanship and general "amazingness" . I'm not much of an acoustic player and even I came away with a new found appreciation of this great player.

I'm interested to hear how many of these players you've seen live.

Again, I think you have to see a player live before making a decision.

Having seen Tommy Emmanuel live last week in London with Martin Taylor I have to totally disagree. Seeing (Live) is believing. The whole auditorium of guitar players were floored by Tommy's technique, energy, shredding (yes that too!), showmanship and general "amazingness" . I'm not much of an acoustic player and even I came away with a new found appreciation of this great player.

I'm interested to hear how many of these players you've seen live.

Again, I think you have to see a player live before making a decision.

Why try to convince someone when the whole point of this thread is irrational dislike? :D

FWIW, I love Tommys writing. His playing can be a bit ostentatious though, FOR ME, and that's my opinion.

Hey Swedish Chef, I saw your list of players there. B.B. King, Mike Stern, Eric Clapton and Tommy Emmanuel??
Tell me, are there any examples of your playing on here or anywhere else on the net?
Because I'm thinking you must be some kind of MONSTROUS guitar player.
I mean like a seriously innovative, utterly original, technically stunning, genre-bending badass!
I can't wait to hear it!

Frosted Flakes: Too friggin sweet, could be in the chemical frosting glaze?
FrankenBerry: Don't need a fright when I'm getting my cereals on
Shredded Wheat: Cardboard, 'Nuff said. (BUT Frosted Shredded Wheat rocks that bowl)
Cocoa Puffs: I'm not cuckoo for any puffs
Anything lacking fiber: After 40 its all about a healthy digestive tract...am I right fellas?
Anything with "Berries" or "Clusters" in the name: Do you like clusters?
Anyth....

OOOOOOH NOOOOOO.......wait. I just remembered that I personally can't produce a better delectable breakfast cereal than the aforementioned bowl turds, therefore I'm not allowed to dislike ANY cereal. DAMN!

This is terrible because I really dislike PT Cruisers and the flick "Weekend at Bernie's" (there was a sequel...WTF!*?).

Me and any bandmates I've ever had - We could fill this list a thousand times over
Kirk Hammett - His solos make me sad.
Buckethead - KFC sux
Any blessedly forgotten 80's sunset strip cruisin, ho banging, hair teasin' douches- no names required
CC Deville - I'm still looking for a good time when he plugs in - it ain't happening
Mick Mars - Yeah...he is scary (hey Mick, if you read this, don't put a curse on me...please?)
Jerry Garcia - Man, I can't do enough drugs to "tune in" to that shit....whew.

Outta here...:lol

Oh and don't freak out if your name is on here, We respect you...

We have had a few generations of music, that we were wondering what the heck you all were thinking.

And Better yet, us losers, who wanted to learn everything thing that you ever did. Can't get more respect then that.

Is this what everybody's doing while waiting for FW 10....? SO how many of our most hated guitarists are beta testers?

I've seen Steve Morse (I hate his vibrato, even live), Tommy Emmanuel (Bored after 1,5 songs. The thing with Tommy is, he plays arrangements. Every note, every lick is rehearsed and it's quite boring to listen to...), BB King (friends dragged me, I left half way through - I still don't understand what people see in him. He has a great voice, I'll give you that. But guitar playing, come on!), Mike Stern (worse concert I ever been to) and Eric Clapton (a complete douche on stage. The man has no stage presence what so ever, no songs, no licks. He was just lucky with Yardbirds - that's it!!!!!)

Now hurry guys, hate on, the "like" thread is catching up!!! :lol

Fair enough, I suppose one of the great things about this forum is the different likes and backgrounds that all us Axe players have. If we all thought the same then there'd be nothing to discuss. I just chimed in because I was even more impressed last week seeing Tommy Emmanuel than the last time (8 years ago) I went to one of his gigs. To me he had energy, technique and feel by the bucket load!

I can understand the BB King and Clapton comments (having said that, I did see a good gig on Clapton's the Journeyman tour). Both these players were "of their time". Had Hendrix been alive today I wonder would fourm members have bundled him in with these two? (*runs for cover....!*)

kerry king (douchebag)
zakk wylde (boring as all hell)
yngwie malmsteen (Fat)
synyster gates (stupid eye liner)
alexi laiho (sp?) (stupid black nail polish)
Steve Vai (only because his use of whammy annoys me)
satch (terrible tone)

okay, im done

John Petrucci : *pure jealousy* Because i'd love to know the 1/100 of theorical & technique he knows.
Rusty Cooley : impressive technique really, but no soul IMHO
Kirk Hammett : Best Procastinater ever ! no real talent, crappy elusive technique for such an artist.
Herman Li : wtf?! fapper...original at first time...then make me thinks of a post puberty teenager. Nice hair though !
Zakk wylde : since i saw a live @ budokan which was a real shame.
Gaemeth : because cant reach 20% of his guitar skills because lack of focus
Lil Wayne of course... *lol*** (at last i am better than him...)

Back
Top Bottom