This thread is very entertaining!
Let me see....

The Edge - (should just call himself - The Delay Pedal)
Dave Navaro - (more because he cares more about his eyeliner than his playing. He is the musician equivalent to Kim Kardashian.)
Santana - (I just don't get what is good about him. He cycles the lick for 4 minutes and calls it a song.)
Kirk Hammet - (the best quote ever...at NAAM this year in the ESP Room, they have a Kirk Hammet replica on the wall. ESP rep is telling people about how it's exactly like Kirk's with all it's wear marks, etc....someone in the room says "Does it come with a built in Wah?"....haha!)
Neil Young - (love his tunes, but let's face it....he's a horrible guitar player.)
Kid Rock - (whoever mentioned this above was right on....multi-instrument player and is mediocre at them all)

Based on his work with RHCP, solo work or both?

Don't know his solo work well. RHCP annoys the hell out of me. Honestly I think most of my annoyance with JF is runoff from my hatred of their singer's vocal style, their lyrics, and the unparalleled repetition of their songwriting.

just because you don't like a players style/music/whatever doesn't mean you think you are better than them.

I hate Rusty Cooleys music, doesn't mean that dude can't play rings around me.

when did it become a sin to have personal taste and opinion....

I think I'd call my list "The guitarists who have never influenced me and never will"

Jerry Garcia
Steve Howe
any 80's techno (Duran Duran, etc)
Grunge guitarists
Djent Guitarists
myself
anyone playing guitar loudly and out of tune at any Guitar Center near you
scale/arpeggio/sweep wankers

Last edited:
Don't know his solo work well. RHCP annoys the hell out of me. Honestly I think most of my annoyance with JF is runoff from my hatred of their singer's vocal style, their lyrics, and the unparalleled repetition of their songwriting.

His voice is not great, but I love his solo playing. But I also like RHCP...so biased through and through...

Preachers - start a new thread please your off-topic. makes searching for the fun stuff in this thread hard for me.

Hammett and Santana. No further explanation needed.

I could never play U2 songs when I was a teen, because I didnt have the prerequisite delay pedals. I blame the Edge!

Totally agree with all the RHCP comments (both John and Dave). I spent years of my high school life trying to like them because everyone else did. Saw them at a festival once and never went back. The Mr Bungle parody of RHCP was way better than the real thing

Hammett and Santana. No further explanation needed.

Word! That's just one more piece in the big puzzle of clues that will one day point to the irrefutable fact that Kirk Mohammed and Carlos Devadip Santana are really one and the same person. I mean, just think about it, have you ever seen them together?

ztdl45dtommdf0j6se4t.jpg

Prosecution rests...

Last edited:
Word! That's just one more piece in the big puzzle of clues that will one day point to the irrefutable fact that Kirk Mohammed and Carlos Devadip Santana are really one and the same person. I mean, just think about it, have you ever seen them together?

ztdl45dtommdf0j6se4t.jpg

Prosecution rests...

hey I didnt know hammett sung the wah parts

ztdl45dtommdf0j6se4t.jpg

Prosecution rests...

That could be a whole other thread... Lookalikes! I have noted this before in some thread awhile ago. My entrant. Guthrie Govan & Ian Anderson

bcD3mBJ.jpg

Well - I haven't read the whole thread but ...

Neal Young - one note, and THAT sounds bad ... Neil should use Auto Tune, and then that bad note would at least be correct frequency wise...
Chuck Berry - really?
Kurt Cobain - pick any song
John Fogerty - somebody teach that guy a pentatonic scale!
Almost anyone from the 90's - waiting for death threats :D

I'm not a hater......but that doesn't mean I can't be really unimpressed.....

Jimmie Vaughn
The dude for REM
Agree will NeilY for sure

Just to get it off my chest, I really don't like much of EVHs playing or VHs music in general. I don't know why for certain, but it just never really resonated with me.

Probably weird to read, as I know the guy's "guitar god incarnate", but I just don't dig.

That could be a whole other thread... Lookalikes! I have noted this before in some thread awhile ago. My entrant. Guthrie Govan & Ian Anderson

bcD3mBJ.jpg

Wow, is Ian Anderson Guthrie's father?

On topic
Some players I just can't get into and I think they're way, way overrated by non guitar playing people:
- Mike Orlando (well, he might not be overrated but I can't stand his playing)
- Santana
- Eric Clapton
- I'm gonna get shot for this: Jimi Hendrix
- Kurt Cobain
- Slash
- Keith Richards

Back
Top Bottom