I agree, but I don't believe that is the theme of this thread.

Then stop believing and start reading, the thread title and 1st post are as clear as it gets; but I'll reiterate:
"name guitar players you dislike"; dislike = to not like. It's not about hating, putting down, or to belittle anyone's skills and achievements.
It's just about taste.
That said, I totally dislike (sic!) hate and bashing threads - enough out there (K. Hammett, anyone?) and completely childish and ridicolous. But this very thread and its originator are far from that. I thought it was a funny and relaxed opportunity to compare our tastes.
But like with any fun in life, in come the zealots and behave like it's the end of the world and good manners.

OK How do you DISLIKE Eric Johnson? He plays anything and everything-Get real. Why would you dislike guitar players? I really am not real fond HM, death metal, etc, but I don't dislike ANY of the musicians involved. All the good ones are good players.

I can't help it (!) but his playing doesn't do anything for me - I don't care if he can play anything and everything. Sorry.
So you want to force me to like him? Why not force me to like some fruits I dislike?! You're logic is simply flawed.

I don't like any guitar player. They are pissed off if they aren't starting a song and they are pissed off it they aren't finishing the song. And during rehearsal and gigs they are always the loudest instrument causing tinnitus. Can't we just forbid guitar playng once and for all? :lol

Michael Angelo Batio (Nice guy, but I feel like I am being force fed velveeta cheese when I see double neck guitar solos.)
Jack White (He's always talking about soul in music, and he plays nothing but powerchords)
John Frusciante (Early stuff not bad at all, then there was "Snow (Hey Oh)" The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh) Album Version - YouTube)
Jeff Loomis (Nevermore were corny as hell IMO)
The Dragon Force guys (fuck its impressive, but fuck its stupid)
Tom Morello (extreme leftist hypocrite. please choke on a Che Guevara T-shirt)
Tony McKenzie :)

Michael Angelo Batio (Nice guy, but I feel like I am being force fed velveeta cheese when I see double neck guitar solos.)
Jack White (He's always talking about soul in music, and he plays nothing but powerchords)
John Frusciante (Early stuff not bad at all, then there was "Snow (Hey Oh)" The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh) Album Version - YouTube)
Jeff Loomis (Nevermore were corny as hell IMO)
The Dragon Force guys (fuck its impressive, but fuck its stupid)
Tom Morello (extreme leftist hypocrite. please choke on a Che Guevara T-shirt)
Tony McKenzie :)

Not Buckethead, but Chucklehead! :lol

MichaelAngelo
Buckethead
Synyster Gates
John Frusciante
Paul Riario (worst demos ever)
Rusty Cooley
Omar Rodriguez

In no particular order whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Actually, the word "overrated" was used three times in the OP.

Don't care though. Have fun!

I meant that the thread is not asking us to name players we find to be overrated. Although Swedish Chef attributed it to some players doesn't mean we have to do likewise.

I have to concede that marking players as overrated is a bit like tightrope walking, between subjective taste and objectivated appraisement.

Still I don't get how people get offended so easily just because someone else's taste differs... oh, yes, the history of mankind...

Poor Paul Riario, but I do get tired of his gear demos. I quit watching them for that reason, Guitar World. I'm sure he's fine in a band context. GW needs someone like Pete Thorn doing their demos.

I have many guitarists that I will just ignore, but I can't say I feel hatred towards them. Guitarists that immediately jump to mind in the "I'd rather they didn't" category would be CC Deville and Neil Young. There are a lot of lead singers who think they're guitarists and pick up the axe occasionally and should just leave it alone: Jon Anderson, Neil Young (again), David Lee Roth, Billy Idol, etc. Maybe it's not fair that they have awesome lead guitarists in their band to be compared against.

Pretty much any punk/emo guitarist would fall into the "I'd rather they didn't", but those styles embrace being an anti-musician anyway. I do like Steve Jones quite a bit though, and Mick Jones/Joe Strummer were okay for what they were trying to do.

Love this thread:)

Just because I could not do it better myself, I`m still allowed to say that I think Michael Bay makes horrible movies;) Sure they all look good with nice shiny colors, but they are dog poop! That`s my prerogative and with that in mind, here is my list:

Mike Orlando (Adrenaline Mob)
Eric Clapton
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Janick Gers (Iron Maiden)
Ace Frehley (Kiss)
Santana
Mike Orlando (Adrenaline Mob)

I meant that the thread is not asking us to name players we find to be overrated. Although Swedish Chef attributed it to some players doesn't mean we have to do likewise.

I have to concede that marking players as overrated is a bit like tightrope walking, between subjective taste and objectivated appraisement.

Still I don't get how people get offended so easily just because someone else's taste differs... oh, yes, the history of mankind...

And therein lies the answer-Disliking a type of music should NOT call for beheading of the player. My point being-I have never seen a forum that is so thrilled to make others (famous others) sound like they are losers or bad musicians-I don't like him, blah, blah.
This is what they do in the third grade and that in a nutshell is where the majority of this forum belongs.
If you don't use a cetain guitar or don't whatever................all of a sudden that guitar sucks, worst ever made, negative, negative--always.

When dealing with children and inflated egos and so many wanna be's guess it's expected that so many great players get dissed.
Never saw it on a Strat forum or a Les Paul forum-but on thee childrens hour here it happens everyday.

Back
Top Bottom