I can understand the BB King and Clapton comments (having said that, I did see a good gig on Clapton's the Journeyman tour). Both these players were "of their time". Had Hendrix been alive today I wonder would fourm members have bundled him in with these two? (*runs for cover....!*)

Hendrix would have evolved - probably into jazz.

Hmmmmm...
John Mayer- does this one count? People are starting to consider him legit so... poor facsimile of a real guitar player.

are you kidding?
Check this out:
John Mayer - Lenny/Man on the Side - YouTube
Really good player if you ask me and this was filmed 11 years ago when he was quite young.
I wish I could play like this when I was his age.
Anyway, taste is a different subject ofcourse!

So says the latest UK Guitarist mag.

Great read BTW. And yes, I am going to get the new CD.

I'm glad we all agree. Not sure about the "new" CD though - the record company making money out of material not thought by Jimi to be good enough to be released?

1) Eric Clapton - has never surprised me. Never played a note I didn't expect. Never took a chance in his life. Totally predictable.
2) SRV - great tone, but the same few licks (all from Albert King), repeated ad nauseum.
3) Ynqwie - boring boring boring. Yeah, you're REAL fast - who gives a shit?
4) Vai - Yngwie + a smirky annoying expression and just a general 'skeez' factor
5) Buckethead - 3 + 4 + 5 = 3 boring 'stunt' guitarists who can play anything technically, but have never created a heartbreaking melody, or even a time-tested hook.
6) Kirk Hammet
7) Zack Wylde

Last edited:
I'm glad we all agree. Not sure about the "new" CD though - the record company making money out of material not thought by Jimi to be good enough to be released?
Truth. But regardless of the money grab, I'm still interested to hear the 12 tracks I've never heard before.

Jajajaja i love this thread

Kurt Cobain (really hate this guy)
Jack White (really hate this guy too)
John Frusciante
Dave Navarro
Alexi Laiho
Herman Li and Sam Totman from Dragonforce.
Synyster Gates
Kirk Hammett
and Me jaja

This is great fun! I've never laughed so hard on a fractal thread. Here's my 3rd grade contribution:

Steve Vai - I don't like that tongue flickering thing I've seen him do. Also, he was playing at some festival on one of Clapton's Crossroads, he and 2 other guitarists were playing each other's guitars or something, sorry but that just looked GAY!
Joe Bonamassa - Yeah he's talented, yeah he's a good blues player, but something about him posing with those glasses on... he's compensating for something, like he was certainly not cool in school, but he's cool now!!
that Michel Agenlo Batio guy or whatever, I'm not even going to look up his name to spell it right. I never liked those ads in Guitar World with his double neck pointy guitar and the 1,000 notes per minute thing.
The Cheap Trick guy - I don't know, I think I saw him later in his career on ACL and he just seemed sloppy and way too LOUD. And the hat thing with the suit thing, just kinda lame...
Andy McKee - is that the guy that was an internet sensation because he tapped his guitar on the body and the neck and all that stuff? It was cool for a minute, then all of a sudden he's touring?
Any of those de-tune guys from these current metal bands. I actually like some of the attitude of that music, but I'm tired of the 7 string, drop down to C# stuff, just not my bag, and those guys that have to paint their nails black and their eyes black. Pick any of them... I don't like 'em.
The old guy with the long blonde hair from Lynyrd Skynyrd. Yeah, I know he's an icon and he's part of one of the greatest southern rock bands ever, but c'mon dude, cut your hair. And yeah, you were cool in the 70's, but probably not anymore.

And for the haters of this thread, I don't think I'm better than any of these guys (maybe the cheap trick guy), and yes I would love to have any of the success any of these guys have had, but as some said, this is just like sittin' around with your buddies shootin' the sh*t and talking about guitar players you don't like... whats the big deal??

That wanker that always play double neck really fast
That curly hair wanker in Metallica
all one-hit-wonder metal band guitarist wankers during the 80´s
all the grunge guitarist wankers during the 90´s
that wanker that used to open for Vai and played slide
That freaky chic that played with Michael Jackson

Lighten up!
Re-read the title and the OP - it's not about hate, it's not about "overrated" or anything like that.
It's actually quite simple: which guitar player do you dislike? And don't tell me there are none ;)

Hm, I probably can't name seven, because most players I dislike I don't memorize their names... ok:
- Mike Oldfield
- Eric Johnson
- Santana (nowadays; I dig the old stuff)
- Jeff Loomis :razz:
- Shawn Lane
- John Petrucci (nowadays; but a cool dude still)
- Steven Wilson

Ok, got to 7, but that took some time and there are plethora of guitarists out there I dislike more, I just don't know them by name ;)

Its your list of course and you can write any name that you want but how the hell can you dislike a musical genius like Shawn Lane ?

The edge +1000000
Anyone who wears a cap sideways (blink 182 et al)
Anyone who plays Metalcore
Anyone who plays Djent (except Meshuggah)
Definitely Santana
Jack Johnson (can't play for shit)
Anyone with thick rimmed geek glasses (indy hipster fucktards)

Oh and Mark Tremonti

Last edited:
That wanker that always play double neck really fast
That curly hair wanker in Metallica
all one-hit-wonder metal band guitarist wankers during the 80´s
all the grunge guitarist wankers during the 90´s
that wanker that used to open for Vai and played slide
That freaky chic that played with Michael Jackson

Was she a wanker too?

Back
Top Bottom