5 Minute Tones

Another brilliant and inspiring video. Thanks Leon @2112.

I bet I'm not the only Axe FX III user in this camp...

I have spent WAY too little time finding good clean amp sounds, and instead fall back into the clean amp models I have been lucky enough to enjoy as a guitar player of a certain age (i.e. when they were still affordable, or in some cases, effectively junk for a little while). My main fallbacks for clean sound are 3 silver face Fenders (Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb), and the inimitable Roland JC-120. Testament to the Fractal universe is that I've been happily working with modelled versions of all of those since Axe FX II days with few disappointments or limitations. Marshalls took a little bit longer, but we have arrived now (at least in my mind).

I still use a Fractal modelled Princeton Reverb and/or a very late model silver face example that my mum bought me for my 15th birthday (over 40 years ago) if I think I've lost the plot for effects or guitars. (So late that it actually has a black face, but that was a 1 or 2 year only aberration in '81 - '82) Feels like home ground in hardware or modelled version, they are essentially duplicates. I check for the reality of that occasionally!

For edge of breakup... JTM45 definitely, and worthwhile trying different cab IR's with that. Vox AC30, and all Morgan and Matchless variants too.

For punchy clean and "effects platform", the Twin Reverb model(s?) are good, as is the JC-120, but don't ignore the Hiwatts. Squeaky clean in a different way from the Fenders (and most definitely Vox), but they also behave differently when you hit them with effects or drive pedals. On their own, HiPower models may seem a little uninspiring, but they have hidden depths. Same as the real deal.

Liam

Well I just tried it with your unorthodox settings and a strat. Bam. Just like the video. Mr Todd strikes again - thanks 2112!

@2112
First off I want to say Thank You for the MS tone tips !
At some point in the future I’ll have to move on from the Schenker preset 😂
Do you have any insight on setting pickup heights?
Balancing pickup volume etc.
Is there anything you do differently for modelers ?
Some random questions as I sit on the couch drinking coffee and prepping for another day of work lol.

Maybe you’ve already done this somewhere in your catalogue of 500,000 videos (😂) but a comparison / contrast video between the AXE3 IIC+ and the same Synergy Module would be interesting / informative. (Or similar comparison…. AXE3 Bassman / Synergy BMan, AXE3 Euro / Synergy Bogner Ecstacy, etc.)

Maybe you’ve already done this somewhere in your catalogue of 500,000 videos (😂) but a comparison / contrast video between the AXE3 IIC+ and the same Synergy Module would be interesting / informative. (Or similar comparison…. AXE3 Bassman / Synergy BMan, AXE3 Euro / Synergy Bogner Ecstacy, etc.)
I had this on a long list of vids to do but I've gone off the comparison vids a bit recently. The Uber module sounds very different to the uber model in the Axe since there's a bunch of extra pre-eq options, but the IICP and 800 sound really close.

I had this on a long list of vids to do but I've gone off the comparison vids a bit recently. The Uber module sounds very different to the uber model in the Axe since there's a bunch of extra pre-eq options, but the IICP and 800 sound really close.
I think I mentioned this as well on your Peavey synergy video - it would great to see how to use the synergy stuff with the pre model in the axe fx to get the power amp stuff - not direct comparisons to fractal amps.
I find the synergy stuff interesting but it is a bit of outlay just to get one module.

Stumbled across this combo on the AC20 for some ch0nk

Hey BROTHER LEON, I was looking for the preset(?)associated with this vid, couldn't find it-is there such a thing or? Thanks again for all your contributions... 🤘 🙏

Hey gang, here's a quick and easy "mod" you can make to your favourite amps.

Very nice! Was it you who suggested using the bright cap as a gain control? Perhaps on a Vox? Vaguely remember something like that….

I get too far in my own head with tweaking, going down rabbit holes and getting lost. It's so damn useful to have a good reference point for a tone that is goldilocks, not too bright and not too dark, and you tend to hit that balance consistently, with tones outside of a mix that just sound right, and playing that complements the tone right too. Seeing exactly how you got there is some of the best tone guidance you can get, and it’s much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom